Rejectomancy

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
60-something day R from Buzzy; 136 day R from Pulp Literature filled with their thoughts on the story, all positive and rather interesting.

Alexander Shah

Registered
Reaction score
So hey guys, I'm kind of (read: completely) new here, and I have a couple of questions some of you more experience rejectonauts might be able to help me with (please let me know if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing!):

a) I recently got a rejection from Penumbra, and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's a personal or a nice form. What do you guys think?

[FONT=&quot]"Thank you for the opportunity to read “The Inheritance of Princes.” Your story is well-written and while I enjoyed reading it, I’m afraid it’s not quite what I’m looking for. Best of luck to you in placing this elsewhere, and I hope you’ll consider submitting something else to us for future issues."[/FONT]

b) In the event that I DO receive something that is more obviously a personal rejection, with some thoughtful comments, is it appropriate to write back and thank the editor? (I'm sort of new at this writing/submitting/rejecting thing too). My current thought is 'No', because less unnecessary mail == happier and less bogged down editors, but please let me know what the convention is.

c) Not specific to rejections, but I've got a story in at Clarkesworld, and it's been in 'Under Review (Second Round)' and 11th place in the queue for around two weeks now - should I query them, or...

I'm still trying to get my sea legs under me, as it were. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Also, again, forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
So hey guys, I'm kind of (read: completely) new here, and I have a couple of questions some of you more experience rejectonauts might be able to help me with (please let me know if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing!):

a) I recently got a rejection from Penumbra, and I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's a personal or a nice form. What do you guys think?

[FONT=&quot]"Thank you for the opportunity to read “The Inheritance of Princes.” Your story is well-written and while I enjoyed reading it, I’m afraid it’s not quite what I’m looking for. Best of luck to you in placing this elsewhere, and I hope you’ll consider submitting something else to us for future issues."[/FONT]

b) In the event that I DO receive something that is more obviously a personal rejection, with some thoughtful comments, is it appropriate to write back and thank the editor? (I'm sort of new at this writing/submitting/rejecting thing too). My current thought is 'No', because less unnecessary mail == happier and less bogged down editors, but please let me know what the convention is.

c) Not specific to rejections, but I've got a story in at Clarkesworld, and it's been in 'Under Review (Second Round)' and 11th place in the queue for around two weeks now - should I query them, or...

I'm still trying to get my sea legs under me, as it were. Thanks for any advice you might have.

That's a form letter. A personal rejection will mention details from your story. For example: "Thanks for sending us your story. I loved it up until the part where the man eating octopus ate half the town. Sad endings are a hard sell here."

I've never responded to a personal rejection.

Clarkesworld's guidelines will tell you if you can query or not. It seems a bit early for a query.

Welcome to W1S1!

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score

1. That's a form, though there are such things as tiered forms and that could be a more positive form. I don't know Penumbra's form so I can't be sure.

2.Even if the feedback is really helpful, I wouldn't respond for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

3. Way too early to query. Sometimes, a longer wait can be a good thing, by the way, and if you've made the second round at Clarkesworld, that's a small milestone in itself.

Finally, welcome to AW!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alexander: I totally agree with what Gnome and Brandon said, but mostly chiming in to welcome you to the forum!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Welcome, Alexander --

I sometimes thank an editor for encouraging or helpful comments with one line in the next cover letter -- only if the feedback was specific.

Sorry about the Rs, all. Mine still await verdicts.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
87 day form rejection from AE.

I have a few subs that are way overdue, so I'm now bracing myself for a rejectolanche. :e2cry:

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
Around 30 days from Penumbra Pain, without 'send more.' I guess that could be a low-tier rejection, or maybe she's just writing each one a little different.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a REAL WRITER NOW.

15 day form R from Strange Horizons.

Polished and subbed to Fireside, because I am an optimist.

Peace
Ty

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Ty -- Yes, it's official now. Keep at it.

Bethany -- Thanks for the perspective, and that helps answer Alexander's question.

Dachshund -- There are variations in these, possibly from the guest editor. Mine didn't have Alexander's "well-written."

I'm in withdrawal again. Most of my subs are in glacier mode.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Ty -- Yes, it's official now. Keep at it.

Bethany -- Thanks for the perspective, and that helps answer Alexander's question.

Dachshund -- There are variations in these, possibly from the guest editor. Mine didn't have Alexander's "well-written."

I'm in withdrawal again. Most of my subs are in glacier mode.

I'm also in withdrawal. Don't worry, the rejectolanche will crush us any day now.

Alexander Shah

Registered
Reaction score
Torturous silences. But incremental progress: I've moved up to number 10 in the Clarkesworld queue. Any day now, the hammer will fall.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations/congratulations on all the rejections/encouraging signs/being-a-writerness going on around here. In the last little while I've had a 1 day from The Dark and a 36 days from IGMS (all my other IGMS subs have been 34 days - optimist that I am, I even take the extra 2 days as a good sign - they held onto my sub a whole extra 2 days before sending me a form R! hehe And don't tell me reading times are generally quite variable, I don't want to hear it ;))

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5 rejections in the last 3 days. Resubmitted a few things, trying to figure out where to send the rest.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
15-day personal from Strange Horizons which confirmed something I suspected about this story. My first personal from them which excited me a whole lot.

Welcome, Alexander!

Rejectolanche poised above my head too. I feel like the cowboy in the old movies who says, "It's quiet. Too quiet," just before all hell breaks loose.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
I'm also in withdrawal. Don't worry, the rejectolanche will crush us any day now.

Gnome -- Thanks for the laugh. Alex beat us to it. Most of mine are estimated at 2 weeks or more until response, and I have three overdue ones at places running behind, so there isn't even the dubious habit of middlingmancy to fill the silence.

Stormchild -- That's a good sign. SH doesn't send a lot of personals. I've never had one from them.

Aislinn -- Being writers. Yes.

Alexander -- C is back up to speed, so we may hear today.

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, looks like there's a few. Not sure what to expect from a guest. Or do they use guest editors on every issue? Not sure if I've looked that close before.

One thing I do like about Penumbra is that they do these theme issues. At least you feel like you have a decent shot if you've got a fitting story. Better than with the general sci-fi mags at least.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
8-day personal from Shimmer.

Bat, there have been several personals reported from Strange Horizons this past day or two. A new first reader, maybe.