Rejectomancy

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sorry for the disappointments, all.

The honorable mentions do mean that all of you ranked above 90 percent (or so) of a lot of competition. So I'm proud of all of you for taking the shot. Certainly blog-worthy.

PD -- I'd go with the American spelling because it's headquartered here: honorable.

Fihr -- I'm sometimes nostalgic for the days of paper rejection slips. Now I only have a computer file of my favorite Rs.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, to make up for the HM, I can also add a flat-out 19 day form from DSF.

Some days are just fun like that, aren't they? I'm sure one day we'll all look back and laugh at the many rejections we got from DSF. Perhaps a slightly psychotic high-pitched laughter, but still. ;)

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
33-day form from IGMS.

Congrats on all the HMs. Nothin' like being rejected with class!

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
Some days are just fun like that, aren't they? I'm sure one day we'll all look back and laugh at the many rejections we got from DSF. Perhaps a slightly psychotic high-pitched laughter, but still. ;)

I imagine it more as a maniacal sort of laughter that softly, almost imperceptibly transforms into tears.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Shimmer with a handy reminder to read the mag which will be easier 1 May when they go digital only. I do read them! I hate r's like this.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Shimmer with a handy reminder to read the mag which will be easier 1 May when they go digital only. I do read them! I hate r's like this.

Condolences. Nothing like an advertisement in the rejection!

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that kind of stuff bugs me. The worst is some magazines that sign you up for their mailing list ads automatically when you submit.

Wow, that's awful.

My rejectolanche continues with Postscripts to Darkness. They didn't try to sell me anything at least!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that kind of stuff bugs me. The worst is some magazines that sign you up for their mailing list ads automatically when you submit.

I've always thought this was fairly acceptable. As one mag explained it, if you're interested in submitting your story to them then presumably you're interested in reading the magazine too. I'm not sure it's very effective marketing but I don't find it offensive.

Of course it's true, I'd be a lot MORE interested if they'd bought my story, lol. That makes me a loyal fan for life :D

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
R from Sw&So. As far as rejections go it was a good one, I guess - though for all I know they say the nice things to everyone.

Commiserations on all the rejectolanches occurring.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations on all the Rs.

So they're still phrasing it as though they assume you don't read them? Irritating.

In principle, I don't mind a line advertising a magazine, but when someone's just told me they don't want my story is usually the last moment I feel like reading them!

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score

It's not writing related, but I once got added to a mailing list for a company after they rejected me for a job. WHY would anyone think that was a good idea?

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
DSF just rejected me, my 400th rejection of the day!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Rejectolanche! Asimovs, Jamais Vu (w/comments, nice folks there) and DSF. I ate my chocolate before checking my e-mail, now it wants to come back up!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought this was fairly acceptable. As one mag explained it, if you're interested in submitting your story to them then presumably you're interested in reading the magazine too. I'm not sure it's very effective marketing but I don't find it offensive.

Of course it's true, I'd be a lot MORE interested if they'd bought my story, lol. That makes me a loyal fan for life :D

Well it's one thing if they say "Sorry we rejected you, please read our magazines" but lots of people don't want to be signed up for mailing lists for products that they do like so signing someone up for a mailing list if they did not explicitly sign up for one is just kind of nasty.

Anyway, resubmitted to a startup. With my luck they'll go under before they even get to reading my sub, lol.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's one thing if they say "Sorry we rejected you, please read our magazines" but lots of people don't want to be signed up for mailing lists for products that they do like so signing someone up for a mailing list if they did not explicitly sign up for one is just kind of nasty.

The one I'm referring to stated this policy on their submissions page (forgotten what market now) so at least you knew what you were getting into. The only mailing lists I really can't stand are the ones where the 'unsubscribe' button signs you up to an even more vicious spamming list. Youch! That's nasty! ;)

Sorry for the rejectolanches, people! Hang in there!

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
7-hour (form) burst of hysterical laughter from The Dark Magazine. That's two rejections on that story in less than 12 hours, so I sent it somewhere it'd stay for a while.

Commiserations on the rejectolanche; they're coming in hot and heavy at the moment.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
22 day personal from Jamais Vu. Apparently it's well-written, they liked it, but ultimately felt the ending didn't surprise. Which is about the third time I've gotten that particular comment on this particular story. Might be time to consider betas on this again.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
2nd round rejection at ASIM. :(

Ugh, second round rejections suck.

Looking up at SG it looks like half of the rejections from the place I jut got rejected from were personal, but I got a form -- and they didn't even get the title of the story right in it. Should I be concerned?