Rejectomancy

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
:tmi

So *not* where I saw this going. :ROFL:

Not trying throw this *ahem* Euorpean beach party off track... but this is me reporting my 10-day personal from Waylines. Very encouraging rejection; they said the story has some great bones, just needs some sculpting of the flesh.

Oh Waylines, you crazy-nice magazine, you.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got my Waylines too. They told me the story was well written, but it needed a little something extra to stand apart from similar stories. I think I'm being a little too subtle with my twist ...

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Though I am sorry to hear about the rejections, I am liking that everyone is getting such nice/personal ones from Waylines. I'm almost hoping to get one of my own. :tongue

The secret is great beta-readers ;)

Mr. Aziz

Registered
Reaction score
I've finally done it, I've done what I've been told every new writer needs to do. I've written my turd* and got the first rejection on it. I'm not depressed or discouraged, I'm tracking it in some mix of sadism and horror as I inflict it upon slush readers.

*You know, that awful story you finished you know nobody will like but you read it to yourself in a corner and giggle like it's some sort of guilty pleasure. I've heard some include luchadors, and exploding, and exploding luchadors who headbutt bulls. Mine isn't so base and it includes no luchadors but the description gives a proper impression and for all its faults, by God, I love it.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. Very long rejection from LORE (subbed last August). It had been shortlisted, but in the end... a pass.

Also a very fast rejection from Grim Corps Magazine.

Meh.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Aggy! "Meh" indeed. If I may ask, did you get a second-round notification or did you find out with a query? I'm right at the query door but haven't knocked yet. They've been all over the place with response times lately.

Condolences to all the other recent rejectionees.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Aggy! "Meh" indeed. If I may ask, did you get a second-round notification or did you find out with a query? I'm right at the query door but haven't knocked yet. They've been all over the place with response times lately.

Condolences to all the other recent rejectionees.

I did receive a "short-list" notification back in December (I think.) It came about 1-2 months after I'd hit the query point.

The rejection apologized for the long wait and said: Your story prompted vigorous discussion and debate but, in the end, we have decided to pass on this particular effort.

Also, the (now) very familiar: Hope to see more in the future.

I keep feeling like I'm missing something. >_<

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I did receive a "short-list" notification back in December (I think.) It came about 1-2 months after I'd hit the query point.

Thank you, even though that means my 90-day sub hasn't been read yet, in all likelihood.

Getting so close carries its own sting, but remember that it's better than a procession of forms. (Yes, everyone says that.)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Shimmer form after just a day. This is a blarg moment, indeed.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
10-day form from Arc.

Condolences to my fellow rejectonauts. I'm on a serious dry spell here since my encouraging sales last year, and my new year's optimism is starting to slip. But trucking, we are keeping it on.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. Very long rejection from LORE (subbed last August). It had been shortlisted, but in the end... a pass.
Also a very fast rejection from Grim Corps Magazine.
Meh.

Sorry, Aggy. At least it was a long wait for a close call instead of a form, but yeah - I get that it's even harder is some ways to know you came close.

Sorry to everyone else with recent R's too.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Holy rejectolanche!

For 3/4: DSF, Apex, West Branch and Read Short Fiction all passed in under 20 days.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone point me toward ARC submission guidelines? I'm failing to find them on their site.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the long R's everyone, esp the close call at Lore, Aggie, but I'll bet that means that story will find a market soon. And sorry for the super fast one, Niccolo - always a slight shock - hope you don't read too much into it; a lot depends on who grabs your story from slush and what order they read in; longer isn't necessarily better IMO). And sorry for the rejectolanche, Tienci. Ouch!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A 47-day personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at Fantasy & Science Fiction. A rejection is a rejection is a rejection, but still, I'm pretty pleased to receive a personal response from GVG :).

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Rats. 22-day R from Shimmr for the story that was passed up to the editorial board. Both target markets for this have now considered and passed on it. At least both markets gave personal responses, so may set this aside for a bit 'til I have the motivation for some revision work.