Rejectomancy

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Oops, sorry, small screen, I can only view one post at a time on it and have to scroll a lot :tongue

Er...I mean, :evil That was my super-secret manipulative strategy to recruit another for the project.

Sagana, you can thank me later ;)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Press ganged!

I been tricked and press ganged...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that was fast.

A rejection today from round 2 at ASIM. Brief notes from all 3 readers. Two of them liked the story, but the third felt it was "poorly structured."

It's interesting to learn that you need all 3 votes to "advance" (or so I'm guessing, unless their votes didn't correspond with their feedback). I also really wish the third reader expanded in his/her criticism as I'm not sure what exactly they had an issue with.

Off to Analog next. Hope Sam is having better luck with his Round 2 sub.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that's a shame.

But at least you got two people telling you they liked it! That's good.

Better luck with Analog.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, more crickets. And my internet is still wonky. Maybe by the time I check on it tomorrow I'll have a response. (Or five.) :p

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Soapdish, greatly appreciated :)

I don't think it would take any great time commitment. We could just choose a magazine, read stories (we're supposed to be reading stories anyway) and add comments to a discussion?

But this is surely the wrong place for a thread. Where would be a good place for it?

(Sorry for the off-topic)

*hugs* Alex. But feedback is good, and you certainly are getting close. Pleasing 2/3rds of the audience is a pretty big deal if you ask me.

I'm at crickets right now, but the stories I'm waiting on have hardly been out anytime, so I'm ok with that.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
But this is surely the wrong place for a thread. Where would be a good place for it?
If you want to start a thread here in W1S1 for it, go for gold :) It certainly sounds like a fun idea, and the more threads we have in the subforum not started by me the better :D

Well, that was fast.

A rejection today from round 2 at ASIM. Brief notes from all 3 readers. Two of them liked the story, but the third felt it was "poorly structured."
Awww. :Hug2: If two readers liked it but one didn't i'd chalk it down to personal preference at this stage. If structure gets mentioned in one or two more Rs then i'd think about editing. Unless after a day or two the comment strikes a chord and you can see what they're talking about.

I haven't heard yet about my sub. Maybe i'll hear today.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izz! I took you at your word *points at market workshop thread*. If anyone is interested, stop on by and throw in opinions. Please don't feel limited to my post there if I've forgotten something or whatever. Remember I'm a newbie here/writer :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I now have 5 stories past avg market response times (according to duotrope), and 1 other with second-round readers. I'm still picking that this month will be my biggest total responses month for the year so far (only 1 more to equal previous highest, and plenty of days to go to get plenty more back :D)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, this isn't really a rejection, but I know now why I have nothin but crickets on one of my stories. Turns out I subbed it to a dead market :rolleyes:

My fault. April was a bad month for me. I was lucky I even got something out there and I didn't put forth the effort to really look into the pub first.

I'm not sure I'm going to resub it anywhere or not. :Shrug: We'll see.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this isn't really a rejection, but I know now why I have nothin but crickets on one of my stories. Turns out I subbed it to a dead market

Man, that stinks. )-:

Give it a little while and maybe you'll find somewhere you want to send it again. In the meanwhile, I hope your May is going better than your April.

-Suzanne

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
After months of crickets, another rejection last week. 3LBE said no in a lovely little form letter.

Also, Sagana, I really like that idea. When I've got some spare time I'll head over to the thread and join in.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for you, Pangalactic.

And :( for Soapdish.

I just got one.
If somewhere says '**** wishes you future writing successes, and to try us again soon.' do they mean the last bit, or are they just being polite?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, guys. Sorry, pang. Dang. :(

Lillie, yeah, my experience is that it's a form response, BUT I do believe (depending on the pub) that they have more than one form response. Some reserved for writers who maybe wrote something that was competent enough, just not *right* for that publication. Hence the "we'd like to see something more later" type comment. And then there is maybe another form that doesn't have that last bit. Because honestly, if they thought your writing was crap, why would they ENCOURAGE you to submit there again? It just makes more work for the editors/readers later.
:Shrug: But that's just me.

Good news is, the market research group we're forming could help with that. By really studying a publication and what they go for, we can take another crack at the markets that said they'd "like us to try again"--whether they meant it or not. Only this time maybe we'll have a better idea of what fits there. :D

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that it's just a form. But it's the first time that anyone has indicated that they might be interested in seeing more.
I was wondering if I could derive some hope from their response or not.

I think I will assume it's hopeful, regardless of what they meant. I'll feel better about it then.

And I don't have anything else right now that I could send them, so if they were just being polite they needn't worry :D

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Yeah, I understand that it's just a form. But it's the first time that anyone has indicated that they might be interested in seeing more.
I was wondering if I could derive some hope from their response or not.

I think I will assume it's hopeful, regardless of what they meant. I'll feel better about it then.

And I don't have anything else right now that I could send them, so if they were just being polite they needn't worry :D

In my limited experience, most form rejections seem to contain something along the lines of 'not right for us, but please try us again'. Having said that, though, I've received a couple that didn't mention trying again at all. They stung a little, for that reason.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Some markets have more than one form reject. Others don't.

The Writers Commandment:
1. thou shalt not read too much into a form reject.
2. thou shalt send them another story, whether they ask for one or not, as punishment for not realizing thy inherent genius
3. thou shalt send the rejected story to another market.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience, most form rejections seem to contain something along the lines of 'not right for us, but please try us again'. Having said that, though, I've received a couple that didn't mention trying again at all. They stung a little, for that reason.

Bloody hell. This is my 7th rejection and the first one to say 'send us something else'.

Now that's depressing :D

I shall send more crap to them all as punishment.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The Writers Commandment:
1. thou shalt not read too much into a form reject.
2. thou shalt send them another story, whether they ask for one or not, as punishment for not realizing thy inherent genius
3. thou shalt send the rejected story to another market.

0. NEVER EVER argue with a rejection or respond to a negative review.

That one, before all others.

-Suzanne

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
One nice things about life getting really busy is that it keeps me from sitting around and waiting for responses. Which is good, because it's been a week since I last got a response, good or bad.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets here. Feeling really down about everything. Must be a shortage of chocolate, or the fact that it's pretty much rained and been gloomy for more than a week straight.

None of my works-in-progress are calling to me. As much as the last thing I need is to start another story, I sure could use a little inspiration right now. And sunshine.

-Suzanne

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
One nice things about life getting really busy is that it keeps me from sitting around and waiting for responses. Which is good, because it's been a week since I last got a response, good or bad.
:Hug2:

Crickets here. Feeling really down about everything. Must be a shortage of chocolate, or the fact that it's pretty much rained and been gloomy for more than a week straight.

None of my works-in-progress are calling to me. As much as the last thing I need is to start another story, I sure could use a little inspiration right now. And sunshine.

-Suzanne
:Sun: :e2arms::Hug2:

Virtual sun is the best i can do, sorry.