Rejectomancy

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
135-day from TOR, which is actually pretty short for them. It was a very nice personal rejection. I know a lot of rejection letters ask people to submit again in the future, but from TOR it actually rang true.

Nice to have a good personal response from them! I know they keep saying they're trying to bring their response times down. I have a friend who started slushing for them a year ago or less, and recently went paid and offered more hours.

For myself: 2-day form R at CWP. That's two stories down there, one to go.

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I suppose the bad news is a 41 day R from BCS (personal and nice, from Andrews) but the good news is that it did manage to come back just in time to get tossed off to CWP, which I was absolutely sure wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
What the hell? Two days since anyone has gotten a rejection? I don't know whether to be happy or not (actually, I'm not. Come on people! This thread is the nicotine patch to my duotrope addiction!)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
What the hell? Two days since anyone has gotten a rejection? I don't know whether to be happy or not (actually, I'm not. Come on people! This thread is the nicotine patch to my duotrope addiction!)

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing. I think maybe the holiday crawl has begun.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here you go, Sai.
4-day, second round, personal R from Clockwork Phoenix for "The Clouds in Her Eyes." This was the story I was most hopeful for of the three I sent. It was passed up to Mike Allen and he said he liked a lot of the ideas in it but ultimately decided it wasn't right for him. Phooey.

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here you go, Sai.
4-day, second round, personal R from Clockwork Phoenix for "The Clouds in Her Eyes." This was the story I was most hopeful for of the three I sent. It was passed up to Mike Allen and he said he liked a lot of the ideas in it but ultimately decided it wasn't right for him. Phooey.

Eliza, I promise i'm not story-stalking you. Me too, 2-day, also from Allen, but I think it doesn't count as a personal. Just "ultimately wasn't right". I think i'll give it a shot at Strange Horizons, maybe. I feel the old dear still has a few rejections in it.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Sad, a 14-day form R from Shimmer. And I don't even think it made it out of slush. Are "editors" at Shimmer second round, or do they do slush work too?

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Eliza, I promise i'm not story-stalking you. Me too, 2-day, also from Allen, but I think it doesn't count as a personal. Just "ultimately wasn't right". I think i'll give it a shot at Strange Horizons, maybe. I feel the old dear still has a few rejections in it.

Yeah - my first two were form "ultimately wasn't right" even though they were signed Mike Allen, but in this one he said his assistant editors passed this one up to him to read and he liked some of the ideas in it, though ultimately, etc.... ah well.
And I think I've finally thrown you off my trail Datepalm -- mine went back out today to DSF instead of SH!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Based on my experience, their slush readers are also called "associate editors."

Great big bandaid for you!
Thanks KD, always appreciated! I, too, seem to recall them calling slushies "associate editors," but what about the editor position just below "senior editor"--a Mr. "Keffy Kehrli"? I guess it doesn't matter, although I think it'd sting a little less. :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
My last Shimmer R was from a Senior editor at 20 days, but I still assumed it hadn't made it out of slush. It wasn't the right fit (I had known it was a long shot, but I thought, let them decide). I assumed that she was helping them out with slush, to keep things moving.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score

:) I genuinely presumed it was meaningless. *tries to extract foot from mouth* Sorry. You know the story, 'Paperwork'. I actually don't have high hopes for it being a 'good fit' for anywhere. Doesn't matter though - still subbing.

Have just finished another flash piece that probably won't fit anywhere, due to nature of content. Ah well. It just popped into my head and I wanted to write it regardless.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
:) I genuinely presumed it was meaningless. *tries to extract foot from mouth* Sorry. You know the story, 'Paperwork'. I actually don't have high hopes for it being a 'good fit' for anywhere. Doesn't matter though - still subbing.
No, I'm sure you're right. The story had some issues that I've been struggling to fix. I just can't seem to bang out a good intro for the life of me. I've had a decent response to the current intro from beta readers, but there's something in my gut that balks when I read it.

Have just finished another flash piece that probably won't fit anywhere, due to nature of content. Ah well. It just popped into my head and I wanted to write it regardless.
I'm frankly shocked by some of the stories I've sold. Not that they're bad, just off the beaten path. You never know! Best of luck. (I can't believe how new all my subs are now. It's depressing).

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
but there's something in my gut that balks when I read it.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Hopefully one day, the solution will just drop into your head when you're not thinking about it.

I'm frankly shocked by some of the stories I've sold. Not that they're bad, just off the beaten path. You never know! Best of luck. (I can't believe how new all my subs are now. It's depressing).

At least you have had a really great sale close to Christmas! (I am looking forward to reading it.)

Not sure whether to expect any more R's until the New Year. I have a couple due back any day, if they are still slushing. My bet is that they'll arrive on Christmas Eve. :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, they will explicitly tell you at Shimmer if the story advanced to the second round. Not that I know from personal experience -- it's one of a few markets where I never managed to get past the first reader.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, if that's so then the senior editor must do slush too because I've gotten rejections from her as well without notification of bump.

Second round R from Pl@sm@ Frequency. Best R I ever got; I was so relieved. Shortly after I sent it I became dissatisfied with the POV to the point that it really made me hate the story. I plan to change that before I sub it elsewhere.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
...then the senior editor must do slush too because I've gotten rejections from her as well without notification of bump...

Much as I would enjoy thinking otherwise, I believe she does still slush. I think I read it somewhere.

Ah, rejectomancy...

Commiserations and congrats on your PF R. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
As I understand it, they will explicitly tell you at Shimmer if the story advanced to the second round. Not that I know from personal experience -- it's one of a few markets where I never managed to get past the first reader.

I've had a number go through to the second round. They do tell you, and the first reader (who'll let you know you've advanced) could be anyone. I think they all pitch in on first reads.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
36-day rejection from Nature magazine. I'm running low on places to send this little sci-fi flash. Even after so many rejections, I still believe it's a good story. I just need to find an editor who agrees with me.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Alex, if that's so then the senior editor must do slush too because I've gotten rejections from her as well without notification of bump.

Second round R from Pl@sm@ Frequency. Best R I ever got; I was so relieved. Shortly after I sent it I became dissatisfied with the POV to the point that it really made me hate the story. I plan to change that before I sub it elsewhere.

Perhaps so, and kudos to her if she does. I do know they have dedicated slush readers, too. They're listed on their site and one is a friend of mine (the same one who slushes for T0r.com. Perhaps some second rounders are just missed for bump notification? If I think of it at some point, I'll ask my friend.
Condolences on the Shimmr R and (I think) on the PF R.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
and just got another one...
81-day from Canadian SF Review with a nice apology for the length of time on their response. This was my first sub to them but I think it's form.
I'm in the same boat as you, Sai. I like this humorous little flash, but not sure where to send it from here (Nature was the first market).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm in the same boat as you, Sai. I like this humorous little flash, but not sure where to send it from here (Nature was the first market).

I ended up sending mine to Tor. I never thought I would get to a point where the long wait would come as a relief ("Up to a year's wait? Yay! That's two hundred plus days I don't have to worry about it anymore.")