Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, don't post my Rs on Duotrope. I have too many submissions coming and going and the Duotrope system is too slow and unwieldy.
Really? I find it quite efficient. Unless you got a shoddy internet connection. Sure, you gotta catalog all your stories, but that's the only time-consuming part I find, and even that isn't so bad.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
10-day F&SF. The "lost my interest somewhere along the line" tier. And given I've received feedback along those lines from beta readers, I suppose it's time for the hacksaw to come out before I sub it again.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Lightspeed and CW rejections for the same story in under 24hrs. Bang, bang.

Efficient that way, aren't they? :/ Consolations.

Me, I got a 116-day personal from Abyss & Apex. They had some nice compliments and a bit of helpful feedback, but another R all the same.

The train, she keeps a'rolling.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
1-day from Nightmare. They're sure living up to their name... A nightmare of a rejection that is. heh... heh... I got nothing.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Nightmare's so fast that I'm 11 hours into a submission and surprised I haven't been rejected yet!

I'm sure JJA's business model works fine, as he's well respected, but it's hard not to picture the slush readers skimming every story.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
16-day R from Untied Shoelaces. Editor told me he rejects every single "dealing with a loss" story he sees because they are too depressing. So yeah, that story had no shot there. :)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ugh, condolences everyone!

Had a 1 Day from Clarkesworld. You kind of expect the R, watching your in-box by the hour... I trust the story, though, so out it is agin.

On the other hand, I'm actually cringing at another piece I sent back out. It's too plain, not enough happening. I'll probably trunk it when it comes back.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
11-day personal R from Shimmer with the editor saying 'flash remains a hard sell.' I already go that sense from this thread, but I figured I had to try.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Too late to answer your question (I subbed there once several years back, no acknowledgement, 87-day R) but welcome to AW and W1S1! :)

I have a couple WIP's in the early stages, but when is it time to give up on the current one?

I tend to work on multiple things at once, so it's easy to move something I'm losing confidence in to a backburner for a while and revisit it later. There's only a few things I've completely given up on, but a fair number I've trunked until I have the time to figure out how to make them better. I'd say go with your gut, and recognize that giving up on something right now doesn't mean giving up on it forever.

Now I shall go back to attempting Zen detachment from the whole thing.

Good luck with that! And when it doesn't work, well, that's what we're here for :)

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Month 1 progress so far...

Ellery Queen form rejection, my first submission and also (coincidentally) my first rejection. I've printed it out and stuck it on my wall with my own post-absinthe spittle. sniff, I'm so proud.

Shimmer - yes, same experience as Sai - very quick and helpful personal rejection, bless, they'll will certainly get first dibs on my masterpiece.

Week 3 of 4 in Month 1 = Slush Jockey's 2 - Foley 0.

Bon Courage a tout le monde!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
64-day personal R from Plasma Frequency (heh, and I was just thinking it was about time to query them). Wish they had told me it'd been bumped up to the 2nd-round, but at least they gave a reason why it bounced.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This week:

4 day personal R from Kazka. Feels like a success; they called the writing "achingly beautiful" and asked to "send us another piece. Really." :) wasn't speculative enough; sent to another market and working on a stronger spec flash for them.

12 day form from Not One Of Us. One day I will crack this market. One day!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Got a very complimentary personal rejection from John Joseph Adams tonight for my Nightmare submission. It's the story's first submission, so I suppose I should feel good about its future. Looking for that silver lining.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Got a very complimentary personal rejection from John Joseph Adams tonight for my Nightmare submission. It's the story's first submission, so I suppose I should feel good about its future. Looking for that silver lining.

Wow, I've subbed to JJA at at least four different markets and I've never gotten a personal rejection from him. That's a really good sign for your story if it made him break radio silence ;).

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
1-day form from Clarkesworld for a horror. I've been told they're not the best market for horror, and I haven't read they've published any horror, but as long as they have "horror" under their list of stories they consider Imma keep trying!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
First agent to look at my query/syn/10 pp said no thanks. She "doesn't like steampunk in general" and felt the voice was more YA than adult.

Clearly we wouldn't have been a good fit.

Aggy, writes a lot of steampunk

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Back pats and solemn nods to all the recents!

Got a 13-day form from Strange Horizons and an 11-day personal from Shimmer on a different story that said they liked it but didn't think the tone was right for them, etc.

That particular story has now had four complimentary personals from awesome markets, but still keeps coming just short of the mark. Hope it finds a home. I really like this story, and would love for it to be my first pro sale.