Rejectomancy

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Eight-day rejection from West Branch. They just keep coming.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25 days to a personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF. This is the first time one of my submissions got past the associate editors to his desk, and he had nice things to say. Overall, I consider this a win.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
25 days to a personal rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF. This is the first time one of my submissions got past the associate editors to his desk, and he had nice things to say. Overall, I consider this a win.

Totally. I've never gotten anywhere near past the first-line editors, and have pretty much given up hope I ever will. Just not compatible, I don't think.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
2 days from Clarkesworld.

Congrats on the GVG response, Alex. I managed to get a couple of personals from Kristine Kathryn Rusch back in the early-90s at F&SF. That's the last time I've gotten anything but a form from there. :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
fourty day R from Abyss. I saw it was forwarded a couple times, so like to think it had SOME traction.

I've gotten through to GVG once, but not since then. Sigh.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

Wow, congrats on the rejection (as weird as that sounds). You are now one of 75 people in the world who knows what GVG's signature looks like.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
R's from Ticon4 and ASIM--both abnormally long. Think September is going to be a avalanche of R's month.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
21 day R from DSF for "Call-Center". PS said it was either too long or didn't have quite enough impact at the end.

Not sure who to try next. A few options springing to mind, have to research again.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
21 day R from DSF for "Call-Center". PS said it was either too long or didn't have quite enough impact at the end.

Not sure who to try next. A few options springing to mind, have to research again.

Sorry you're having a tough time with it, but that's cool you got a personal from DSF. Good luck with where ever you decide to send it next.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
3-day R from Shimmer, and probably the most helpful feedback I've gotten; not on the story per se, but what they're really looking for. Actually, I'll post it, since it's pretty useful.
Thank you for allowing us to consider 'X', we appreciated the chance to read your work. Unfortunately, however, it isn't right for us. It was certainly well-written, with some interesting ideas, but overall, it just isn't 'Shimmery.' We mainly publish stories with strong plots and with unique characters that the readers can really get behind, and emotionally connect with, and here the characters are more 'types'; used mainly to propel the plot towards its bizarre climax, rather than being an integral part of the story. The 'speculative' elements here also kicked in a little too late for us, as we like our weirdness introduced within the first paragraph or so.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the R's everyone.

Defcon, thanks for posting that Shimmer R. That's a lovely, clear statement from them. They really do try to help writers.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Defcon, thanks for posting that Shimmer R. That's a lovely, clear statement from them. They really do try to help writers.
It's the first R I've gotten from them that I found truly helpful. Other R's usually consisted of: "well-written, but doesn't cover enough new ground."

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So, after 162 days and making it to the "maybe pile," I get a form R from Into the D@rkness antho. Lame. : /

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R's everyone. And nice one from shimmer, Defcon. I got one that was similiar to your normal ones from them, it seems. "Well-written, but didn't connect to it"

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
11-day R from Nature. First time I've submitted to them, so not sure if it's form or not, though he did say he enjoyed the story.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
11-day R from Nature. First time I've submitted to them, so not sure if it's form or not, though he did say he enjoyed the story.
Doesn't sound like form. Also, did they attach the guidelines for your reference?

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
This is the R week for me. So far I've gotten a 13 day rejection from Storm Cellar and a 14 day rejection from Yemassee both form. But Yemasse's form includes requesting that you hurry up and post their response/rejection on duotrope so they can have a good reputation for a quick response time..... Two down 15 to hear from.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score

And here I was with a ray of hope because mine said he enjoyed it as well.

Oh well, onward!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got a 10-day R from them as well. Didn't get the "enjoyed it" part, like I did last time.