Rejectomancy

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I'll tell you what's depressing, that braggage thread. At least during the long months I don't participate! ;)

I agree! ;D

I got a very nice notification from IGMS that the story I submitted was one they already rejected. *ARGH* I've never done that before. Complete bookkeeping fail. :/

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Nature? R! Interzone? R! Show Us A Better Way Contest, and the last Redstone sub I'll ever be able to make? R! Nice 1-2-3 punch in the gut today. Thanks bad timing! :p

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, feel better already. Two are already resubmitted, but I'll have to wait for some openings to resub the third. :D

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Nature? R! Interzone? R! Show Us A Better Way Contest, and the last Redstone sub I'll ever be able to make? R! Nice 1-2-3 punch in the gut today. Thanks bad timing! :p

Ugg - sorry to hear it. Well, at least the disappointment of rejection wasn't spread out over days - like over the holiday weekend.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugg - sorry to hear it. Well, at least the disappointment of rejection wasn't spread out over days - like over the holiday weekend.
Yeah, now that the needle's out, it's all done and over with. But I think my own preference is the spread approach. :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, Marzioli. There's no way that wouldn't sting. But good on you for getting them straight back out there. ...I think I prefer the R's spread out too.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Quick R from Shimmer. It was the first thing I'd ever sent them, and they gave some great personal feedback. They called the piece "creepy" and said they liked the vivid horror and fast pace, and to send them something else.

Pride=restored

johemedel

...should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
13 day form R from Strange Horizons. Insert sadface.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Commiserations on the recents, guys and gals. Sorry about the rejectolanche, Marzioli. That's rough.

Still nothing to report here. Is it weird that I actually feel a little creeped out by the fact I haven't received a rejection in over a month? I never thought that would be a negative feeling.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
126-day rejection from Indiana Review. And I thought I had a chance with this one.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Well, not creeped out anymore! Got a personal from Beneath Ceaseless Skies. Lots of good things to say and some genuinely helpful feedback.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that gettingby, and to you too, JW, though that's nice that the feedback was positive.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that was rejection #50. How many more of these before someone buys my fiction?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Have you sent the story back out to the next market yet? :)

I sent it to Glimmer Train a month or so ago. It is one of my best so I hope it finds a home. I know I'm aiming high, but I really think this one is good.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
4-day rejection from Untied Shoelaces. It actually came a few days ago, but I didn't realize that you had to go login into the site to see what your story's status is. The editor at least had nice things to say about it ('Not bad. I liked it.') before saying why he rejected it. I was a little scared, as I'd heard stories about weird, nonsensical Rs from Untied Shoelaces, but this one had some good points. At least this gives me a story to send to Abyss & Apex before they close submissions tomorrow.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that was rejection #50. How many more of these before someone buys my fiction?

You know, it took me a while to reach a point where I was writing fiction people wanted to pay for. Looking back over the past four years I can say that I reached a point where the improvement from month to month and even year to year has slowed.

Prior to that point (about the fall of 2008) I could see the difference/improvement in my writing almost from one story to the next. (And not to say that I don't continue to improve but the difference is much smaller now from week to week, story to story, month to month.)

After that point are the stories that I've been successful at selling. The bad news? I'd been writing fiction (with varying levels of dedication) for nearly 20 years at "that point". I think most writers don't take that long to develop (and I had a few things published prior to that but not in paying markets) but that's how long it took me. (If you look at the really serious years I spent writing that two decades turns into a more reasonable 8 years.) Thank god I'm stubborn as the day is long (and then some).

I'm going to say that you are at that point where writing because you love it is your most important asset. It will keep you satisfied until that first sale comes. At least, that's how it did with me.

Aggy, think this glass is half-something (maybe lemonade?)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

I dunno, but 50 sounds like a nice round number for throwing yourself a party to celebrate. You'll get there; the rejections are all just part of the path.

I'm going to say that you are at that point where writing because you love it is your most important asset. It will keep you satisfied until that first sale comes. At least, that's how it did with me.

I think it's *always* one of the most important assets, the other being stubborn persistence. Once you start selling stuff, you may not need the persistence quite as much, but when you lose the love of writing, you'll lose whatever readers it took you all that hard work and time to earn.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's *always* one of the most important assets, the other being stubborn persistence. Once you start selling stuff, you may not need the persistence quite as much, but when you lose the love of writing, you'll lose whatever readers it took you all that hard work and time to earn.

This is true. I just found that before I sold stuff there were times when stubbornness was not enough. I HAD to rely on the fact that I was doing something I enjoyed - regardless of whether or not anything came of it.

Once I sold my first story (for $3, I might add) I was determined to do it again even if it took years. That's when stubbornness became my biggest asset because, personally, after that first sale then I had to deal with the fear of "Maybe it was a fluke" which was harder to deal with than "Maybe I just suck." Odd, maybe, but the idea that my "success" was just a mistake was more... crippling than the idea that I might not have the talent at all.

For what it's worth. YMMV.