Rejectomancy

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Marzioli. I don't think Glimmer Train is the best place for genre work.

They're actually listed in the SFWA qualifying sales list and on Duotpope as a market that accepts all genres, but I imagine it's a real long-shot to get spec-fic accepted. I actually have a story with them right now -- my first sub to them. I hadn't thought of them for this piece. Thanks for the thoughts, though.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - maybe I should rework it into that and resubmit ;)

I'm not sure where to send it next. Ideomancer was the 6th try (1st not pro). It was in the final round at Penumbra and went all the way to the publisher at Ideomancer (unless L Bobet reads slush too), so I'm not ready to shelve it yet. I'm thinking something literary that takes genre might work. Anyone know of such markets besides The Pedestal and the Spilling Ink competition that was cancelled (my planned market for July)?

Have you tried Zoetrope: All Story, The Threepenny Review or McSweeney's Quarterly Concern? All extremely competitive but they pay well. (Threepenny Review has a pretty fast turnaround too.)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Zoetrope: All Story, The Threepenny Review or McSweeney's Quarterly Concern? All extremely competitive but they pay well. (Threepenny Review has a pretty fast turnaround too.)

Thanks Aggy! I'll give those a look.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I'd been, as I recall, 3-for-4 at getting Honorable Mentions in the Alfred Hitchcock monthly flash fiction contests. Several months back, I sent what I thought was my best one yet. It came back today, not even an HM. Boo. :(

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Marzioli. I don't think Glimmer Train is the best place for genre work.

I can not imagine them ever publishing genre work. Even among literary magazines they're considered 'literary' - the least experimental of the magazines I've read. Evah. Really, read a copy.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
I just had the same experience. That editor fellow was so nice I just might have to submit again, soon as I finish this next piece.

I thought of submitting to that market, but when I finally came up with a funny idea, I started laughing so hard I forgot to write it... (cue laugh track).

Now you see why I don't write humor! :tongue

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Back to back rejections from Word Riot. At least they only take a day to respond.

Darkwing

I'm thinking something literary that takes genre might work. Anyone know of such markets besides The Pedestal and the Spilling Ink competition that was cancelled (my planned market for July)?

I'm not sure if your specific story would fit them, but there's a market called Mixer Publishing that wants literary genre work. If your story is fantasy, though (I didn't read up-thread enough to see), you may be out of luck, as I believe they only take science fiction, romance, horror, and realism. Why fantasy gets excluded, I have no clue. :(

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
4 day R from Nanoism for The Essex. If I can remember my Submittable password I might try it at Trapeze (though it might not be enough horror for them.)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your specific story would fit them, but there's a market called Mixer Publishing that wants literary genre work. If your story is fantasy, though (I didn't read up-thread enough to see), you may be out of luck, as I believe they only take science fiction, romance, horror, and realism. Why fantasy gets excluded, I have no clue. :(

Yep. Fantasy. But thanks for the suggestions.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Four rejections in the last two months, although I have to admit one was a personalized email from Clear Sailing.

Despite the rejection, I really appreciated the personal feedback from CS. It gives an aspiring author hope.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Semi-personal 14-day R from Ticon4. Ever find it funny when the editors say nice things about the story, but never a reason why it was booted?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Condolences all around! Keep chugging away, folks.

Defcon, I know what you mean! It's nice to get a compliment, but I'd rather have a personal that tells me what they didn't like than what they liked.

Mostly crickets for me, though I got a personal a while back on the first "real" short story I ever wrote (which is about one R away from the trunk at this point).

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Personal R from Shimmer. Hard to feel down when it reads "This is one of those hard letters to write. There's nothing wrong with the story, but it's just not right for Shimmer," but an R is an R.

Thinking of sending it to Nightmare as they're closing for two months tomorrow. I can have a story rejected twice in one day!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Personal R from Shimmer. Hard to feel down when it reads "This is one of those hard letters to write. There's nothing wrong with the story, but it's just not right for Shimmer," but an R is an R.

Thinking of sending it to Nightmare as they're closing for two months tomorrow. I can have a story rejected twice in one day!

Nice words from Shimmer. Good luck with it at Nightmare!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Michael, I just sent a story over to Nightmare, too. Good luck! No other rejections to report, but I have others out at Shimmer, Niteblade, and Stupefying Stories, so I'm sure I'll have something to report soon.

Now off to TRY and finish this story today. :)

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
And there's the Nightmare R. A good story rejected twice in one day. Yee haw!

There's my Nightmare R, too. Hooray!!

Commiserations on the Nightmare R's.

At least its easy to predict when you'll get your Nightmare R back. I had one of those last weekend, then sent it off to Apex which is a duotropery guessing nightmare. Will I get a quick Slushie, or will I get Alex Shvartsman's Slushie?? I don't know! AHHH...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Will I get a quick Slushie, or will I get Alex Shvartsman's Slushie?? I don't know! AHHH...
I'm in the same boat, out at 13 days this time. Best to let the pot boil and do something else. I've been pretty good recently, only staring at Duotrope response stats once a day, and only for select markets I think are due!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OG's Speculative Fiction just sent me *another* rejection for a story they had already rejected several months ago. Was it so bad that they had to reject it twice?

In fact, I've already sold it to a better-paying market since then. So nyah! :)