Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first "PS Almost" from DSF. Which is particularly cool because it was actually creative non-fiction that I didn't have anywhere else to send. That gave me enough encouragement to try it elsewhere as fiction.

Last edited:

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences on the rejections, Marzioli and Pan, but congrats on the postscript and on making it so far.

But a 200 day rejection would sting. :cry:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
4-day rejection from Threepenny. It's an odd story, but it's gotten some good responses from editors (just not the 'Oh my god we gotta buy this response' that I want). I'm thinking of sending it to the New Yorker next.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Got a personal from ASIM this morning after a hold request. I think I've run out of places to send this one now - which is a shame, because I think it's my best story and every market it's been to has held it for final consideration but ultimately passed on it.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection from Flash Fiction Online. The good news is I had three stories out with them and they rejected the one they have had for the shortest amount of time. All of them were sent about a week apart. So it gives me hope that they like something in two of my stories. I just want to sell something so bad!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a response from the editor at OG and he released my story, saying that he published something too similar recently so he can't use it for their final issue. Already re-subbed it elsewhere.

*No other replies* over the weekend. I have one at DSF at 25 days without rejection or round 2 notice. This has never happened to me yet, they always seem to respond in chronological order. On the other hand, this is by far the longest story I ever sent them, so maybe they're holding off on reading it for when they have the time to tackle 6000 words.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
*No other replies* over the weekend. I have one at DSF at 25 days without rejection or round 2 notice. This has never happened to me yet, they always seem to respond in chronological order. On the other hand, this is by far the longest story I ever sent them, so maybe they're holding off on reading it for when they have the time to tackle 6000 words.

I have one at DSF at 23 days, though it's only 5,000 words. Still, I was wondering if there were holding off on it because it's longer than other submissions. It would be nice though if it's because they actually like it. Either way, good luck Alex!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Strange Horizons, 17-days. They said I can't submit until the 1st of June, which isn't so bad.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft.

141 days and a form from Bards and Sages.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I queried a few days ago.

I'm assuming the form was their response.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope shows a couple of rejections in the 140-day range today for B&S so it might be that they're finally dealing with the slush. One might hope.

I'm at "only" 80 days.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
44-day from Pseudopod. "Enjoyed it," but "not dark enough." Can't complain too much, since I sold the print version somewhere else. Still, I want to break into the pod market someday... Someday...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo! A 147-day Dark Faith 2 rejection: "It made it through several rounds of cuts, but space constraints force tough decisions. I'm sure you'll find a good home for this story, and I look forward to seeing it in print when you do." A very nice and encouraging rejection. I only hope other market editors see it his way. :)

Edit: ... I just had a thought. That wasn't an elaborate form was it?!?

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, balls.

There's my Dark Faith back.

Made it quite far, apparently, but...

Ah well, nice to know it made it so far.

EDIT
Just saw your post, Marzioli.

Sounds like you got a very similar rejection to mine.

:(