Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Got a 130-day rejection from Woman's World today for a mystery story. The fiction editor liked it but it didn't make it past her editor. Oh well. I don't suppose anyone else knows of markets that are take 'solve it yourself' kind of mysteries?

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
AHMM recently published a short where a man quickly saves his wife's life from a burglar. I think it was called Caretaker

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Never thought I'd be so happy to get a rejection. Why? First news on any of my submissions for a month! I was starting to suspect I only dreamed sending out all those stories...

Form R from Dr TJ Eckleburg Review. They said it wasn't a fit, which doesn't exactly surprise me. Targeting my stories to the right publications is still proving to be something I struggle with.

Commiserations on the Rs everyone.

RMG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mywritingmylife.com
Introduction

Hello, my fellow rejects,

I've been monitoring this thread from the shadows, drawing courage when I felt at my worst with my rejections. At first I felt horribly ashamed to be rejected, but now I think I've grown enough to share with you guys. At least this way I won't feel like I'm stealing your comfort... ;)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome RMG.

Right, here we go.

Kind personal from a capella zoo saying nice writing, shame about the fit. I have another with them that has now gone over the wait of both that rejected story and the average response time. It's definitely a better fit.

Then today form R's from Eckleberg Review and Three Lobe Burning Outdated Submission Form.

Good times. Now at nearly 130 days percolating at Cam Obs.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I received a 21-day form R from 3LB as well. Now gotta search for another horror market, bleh.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hello, my fellow rejects,

I've been monitoring this thread from the shadows, drawing courage when I felt at my worst with my rejections. At first I felt horribly ashamed to be rejected, but now I think I've grown enough to share with you guys. At least this way I won't feel like I'm stealing your comfort... ;)
Welcome, RMG! Don't worry, we all get rejected--more than we like to admit. :tongue Just have to keep chugging away till finally the story sells.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome RMG,

Also, I got my 3LBE form rejection too. Gonna trunk this story until I'm good enough to make it work, similar to freezing a patient until future technology advances enough to heal them..

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Welcome RMG!

Ok guys, didn't we have an inbetween thread somewhere? I can't find it and I need to get off AW and get some other stuff done. The story I'm thinking of will likely be rejected anyway (that is not pessimism, but just guardedly being realistic), so this thread will work. ;)

I have a story that has been out to Stupefying Stories for 71 days. This story has been rejected by several other higher paying magazines, and I hardly gave those rejections a second thought. Rejection happens right? But I really love Stupefying Stories, so that is why I am obsesssing over this one. Every day I don't get a rejection from them I get my hopes up a little more, especially if I see on duotrope that they have sent responses to other people. (I cheer for those acceptances!) But then I see 149 day rejections, for example, and tell myself I'm just dreaming. Ack! This is exhausting.

I know, I know, forget about it and get back to writing something new. I'm trying...but doutrope keeps whispering to me "come and see what SS is doing..." And I, the obedient child, always obey that voice.

There I've said it... I feel better just sharing that with other writers. Thanks for being here!

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
There I've said it... I feel better just sharing that with other writers. Thanks for being here!
I wish you luck and may kindly eyes appraise your piece. I have one story there at 30 days and I really hope Stupefying takes that too. Unlike the previous two works they accepted (both clocked in around 1,100 words), this one is long. And I like selling my longer pieces best of all. Especially this particular piece. It had kind comments and higher tiers from some good markets. But no one will take the plunge!

And for anyone keeping track, Borderlands 6 might be on the move. I saw one of the remaining 19 subs has been rejected. I reread my piece and I don't give it much hope. In 216 days my writing has improved by giant strides, and I can only look at my older pieces with a touch of disdain. That said, I believe the editor could polish it up, if it's given a chance. Fingers still crossed.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Rejection avalanche. Rejections in the last week: Ideomancer, FFO, Kasma SF, DSF, Analog, Lightspeed, Three-Lobed Burning Eye, and Stupefying Stories. Although, I did receive a nice personal rejection from Stupefying - they kept my story for consideration, but ultimately liked it, and didn't love it. They did say I write very well and to send them more stories, which is always nice to hear. I'm sure the story being 7800 words long didn't help.

Onward.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I took a short break and now I'm back...can we say addicted, LOL.

Marizoli, thanks! Today I decided that I'm going to keep reading their magazine (to torture there for sure, I'll keep an eye open for your stories!) and if they reject this story, I'll write something else specifically for them. I will get in there! (note to self...perhaps they prefer shorter stories? good, I tend to be on the short side.)

d.thomaswise, thanks, I always wondered what "personal rejection" means for SS. My hope is if they don't accept my story they will send a personal R. Sorry about your R's.

RMG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mywritingmylife.com
Hey guys,
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Literateparakeet said:
I know, I know, forget about it and get back to writing something new. I'm trying...but doutrope keeps whispering to me "come and see what SS is doing..." And I, the obedient child, always obey that voice.

I know what you mean. I've been doing exactly the same thing, and am starting to wonder whether duotrope is a belssing or a curse. ;)

Anyway, rejection-wise, my latest was two days ago from DSF. In the rejection prior to that they'd said it was an almost, so I was hoping for this one. When am I going to learn? Don't hope. Wait.

Ah well, let's move on...

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh my! Someone kick me, please. I deserve it.

I just got a rejection from Stupefying Stories...but it wasn't for the story that I thought I sent them. I was really confused, but double checked my "sent messages". That's when I realized, I had attached the wrong file.

Ack! I feel like an idiot.

The story that I accidentally sent them was not right for them (or anyone, I completely overhauled that story). So I am not disappointed at all that they rejected it. Actually I would be embarrassed if they accepted it in that state.

I am embarrassed that I sent the wrong story. Geez!

Finally...for duotrope purposes, is "you write well, but your story was not for us"...a personal rejection or form? It doesn't matter to me really. But my other form rejections were more "form". So I am confused.

And the good news is...now I can send them the story I meant to send in the first place...and start the whole messy process again. Oh joy...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Finally...for duotrope purposes, is "you write well, but your story was not for us"...a personal rejection or form? It doesn't matter to me really. But my other form rejections were more "form". So I am confused.
I think we've all done that before. And the more submissions you make the more you have to double check them... or risk it happening again. As for your question, it sounds to me like a personal comment. But usually people consider "personal rejections" a comment that refers specifically to the story. Thus, "Your character Armstrong didn't make sense tagging along with Archer." Without that additional critique I believe--but I could be wrong--that it's a non-form rejection, or "rejection" in duotrope lingo.

If you don't mind saying, did you already pitch the story you're trying to sell in the cover letter? That is to say, did you say, "My story, River Stix..." and then accidentally attached something else? Meaning that when you send it again they might think you are sending them a story they already rejected? If so, might I recommend you change the name to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
O

And the good news is...now I can send them the story I meant to send in the first place...and start the whole messy process again. Oh joy...

Sorry to hear about the R but at least the story you care about is still alive and you can submit it now!

In terms of personal vs form, my rule of thumb is that anything that doesn't reference specific aspects of your story is a form. Even if they happen to compliment my writing, professionalism, or hairdo. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Mixer Magazine for "Love Like Dysphoria." I'll have to check my submission stats on Duotrope to see where to send it next.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of personal vs form, my rule of thumb is that anything that doesn't reference specific aspects of your story is a form. Even if they happen to compliment my writing, professionalism, or hairdo. :)
Doesn't any personal info entail they customized the letter, and therefore it isn't a form? Or are you just accounting for the fact that sometimes an author can't tell?