Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and here comes the 36-day form R from Buzzy. Didn't survive the culling for long, after all.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Alex, sounds like you're close!

R from SS27. She said she really liked my story, but just couldn't fit it in. Sending it off to F&SF today. One of these days, I'll have something to post in braggage. ;)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to find my second higher-tier R from Lightspeed in a row. Up until this month I've only had basic R forms from them, and now two "nicely written" forms in a row. Moving in the right direction?
Nice work! Does a second tier rejection take a little longer, or does it bounce back in the same 2-day time frame?

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten two "nicely written but didn't quite win me over" forms from Lightspeed, and one bounced in 2-days while the other took 4. So, I guess it depends. (The most recent piece I sent them got the basic form rejection, and it came back to me so fast that I still feel the whiplash.);)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting! So does that mean a slushy liked it? I suppose I'm just wondering what it looks like when John Joseph Adams himself reads a story and ultimately passes.

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to find my second higher-tier R from Lightspeed in a row. Up until this month I've only had basic R forms from them, and now two "nicely written" forms in a row. Moving in the right direction?

Congrats! I just received a 1-day lower-tier form from them today, but it's only my first time submitting to that market. I'm grateful I didn't get a 0-day, but, then again, I can't brag about my rejection time either.

Sent that story back out to Abyss & Apex. I thought it would be gone for at least a month, but Duotrope is reporting very short replies. Did they speed up their process?

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I can confirm that A&A is swift right now. (And good for them! It's so nice for us when markets make it through the slush quickly.) I don't think they read over this past weekend, so it's looking like about a 1-2 day wait during the week if they keep it up.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
R from DSF. Boo. And this one had actually made it to the 2nd-round, but it's odd I received the same form R as I would've if I had been rejected in the 1st-round.

Quick question: Is it okay to send work to a market that was already accepted, but hasn't published, one of your stories?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question: Is it okay to send work to a market that was already accepted, but hasn't published, one of your stories?
I believe that's up to the editor. I'm sure you've noticed some guidelines specifically rule out that possibility (Clarkesworld and Shock Totem come to mind). However, if it's not stated I think it's fair game. IMO.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Cincinnati Review. :(
Yesterday, I was hit with the fear that my sub to Shimmer hadn't actually made it to their inbox, but noticed recent RTs up to 38 days and I'm just at 17. In any case, looks like I'm likely to get a personalized response considering the loads of personal Rs lately.

Also expecting responses very soon (within the week) from Nine, Agni and possibly Glimmer Train and Nature Magazine. Oh, and considering their latest RT, definitely Abyss and Apex. :eek:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting! So does that mean a slushy liked it? I suppose I'm just wondering what it looks like when John Joseph Adams himself reads a story and ultimately passes.

From what I understand (and I could easily be wrong) higher tier R stories were read by Mr. Adams.

Both of my higher tier R's took only 2 days. But don't pay any mind to that -- I know someone who had an *acceptance* from Lightspeed after 4 hours recently!

You're likely to hear, one way or another, within up to 4 days. If you're being held longer than that, your odds are good indeed.

As to A&A, the fast responses are for stories rejected by the slush readers. If you make it past the slush, expect the possibility of a very long wait. This isn't at all an uncommon practice at other good markets as well.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
As to A&A, the fast responses are for stories rejected by the slush readers. If you make it past the slush, expect the possibility of a very long wait. This isn't at all an uncommon practice at other good markets as well.

I've had some long waits at A&A, but also some very nice personal rejections. I wish I could sub to them more, but since they're only open every other month it's hard. right now I've had a story there for ten days. Not that long, but since it seems like it's probably gotten over the first reader hump it might be there for a while yet (and who knows? Maybe it will even end up as an acceptance :) ).

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
While I HATE the R, I'm glad someone is hearing from them. I haven't heard anything after they let me know they couldn't find my sub. I'm tempted to send another email. :rant:

I've had two replies from Ideomancer go missing over the years, which is a lot from one market. Whether their system means the rejections sometimes get logged in the database but not sent, I don't know.

They did respond to my queries promptly both times though.

JWGriebel

Decrepit
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with ASIM? I got an email telling me that my story passed their first and second rounds and has been shortlisted, to be held for 2-3 months while they make a decision, but the email is entitled "hold request." It doesn't indicate whether or not I need to reply... am I supposed to?

This is what it said:

Just informing you that your submission has passed the
second round of readings at Andromeda Spaceways, so
your submission is now on our shortlist, while we see if
we can find a place for it.

This will probably take us a while to decide for
sure, though, and we would like to hold onto your
submission for another two-three months.
(Please note: currently about 1 in 20 submissions make it
from the short-list to acceptance.)

Assuming this is acceptable, we will be in contact with you within this time.

In the meantime, feel free to send in other submissions.

Thanks for your patience.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Anyone have experience with ASIM? I got an email telling me that my story passed their first and second rounds and has been shortlisted, to be held for 2-3 months while they make a decision, but the email is entitled "hold request." It doesn't indicate whether or not I need to reply... am I supposed to?

This is what it said:

Just informing you that your submission has passed the
second round of readings at Andromeda Spaceways, so
your submission is now on our shortlist, while we see if
we can find a place for it.

This will probably take us a while to decide for
sure, though, and we would like to hold onto your
submission for another two-three months.
(Please note: currently about 1 in 20 submissions make it
from the short-list to acceptance.)

Assuming this is acceptable, we will be in contact with you within this time.

In the meantime, feel free to send in other submissions.

Thanks for your patience.
I'd imagine that they'd only need you to reply if you want to withdraw it.

UniversalExport

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm.. I have a story out with A Public Space now at about 260 days. About a month ago, it went to In Progress at submittable, now they sent me an email saying that they're catching up on their reading and I should hear from them in June. Just courtesy or a bump to second round email?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm.. I have a story out with A Public Space now at about 260 days. About a month ago, it went to In Progress at submittable, now they sent me an email saying that they're catching up on their reading and I should hear from them in June. Just courtesy or a bump to second round email?
Usually a market tells you if it's being held for consideration. Without that you have no real clue why they opened your document. Perhaps they just distributed it to a reader, or queued it in their systems for future consideration. Since June is only the next month, and they've already shown themselves sloth by taking 260 days to open it, I imagine it's still first round.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat with you, having been passed up about 30 days ago.

No response is necessary at this stage. Just wait and hope.

Good luck to you, perhaps we'll manage to end up in the same issue :)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score

Just courtesy I believe--I got the same notice (I've been there 205 days).