Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Rejectomancy

  1. #3826
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The lost city of Atlanta
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    Umm.. guys, what's with partially censoring out market names? It's not like you're badmouthing them or anything.
    We're starting a new trend, @lex!
    New bare bones obligatory author's site: www.michaelwehunt.com

  2. #3827
    You don't have coffee? Go away. WordCount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smalltown, USA
    Posts
    704
    Heard back from One Buck Horror regarding my query today.

    Is it just me, or does "still awaiting review" sound like they haven't even seen it yet? I know they've been behind lately, but the Duotrope stats are basically 21-44 (with the exception of one personal rejection). I'm at 55 days, so I was expecting something saying "it's being scrutinized."

    Yet, nothing of the sort.

  3. #3828
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    Umm.. guys, what's with partially censoring out market names? It's not like you're badmouthing them or anything.
    Well, in my experience, the editors can hear about it thanks to google--damn you google. And since we've been complaining about WP lately...

    *tries to not sound like a whiner*

    Quote Originally Posted by WordCount View Post
    Heard back from One Buck Horror regarding my query today.

    Is it just me, or does "still awaiting review" sound like they haven't even seen it yet? I know they've been behind lately, but the Duotrope stats are basically 21-44 (with the exception of one personal rejection). I'm at 55 days, so I was expecting something saying "it's being scrutinized."

    Yet, nothing of the sort.
    Basically, they just want you to sit on your hands and wait. I was told something similar from The Un-uninvited.

    Writing: The waiting game.

  4. #3829
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Dandelo View Post
    We're starting a new trend, @lex!
    I think that might be Lex Luthor's Twitter alias

  5. #3830
    practical experience, FTW W.L. Marks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    I lurk on this thread normally, but I had to share this one, because it made me feel so silly for pouting over some of my longer rejections.

    My sister just came in the room to tell me that she had received a rejection e-mail. From a market she submitted to in October 2010.

    The icing on that horrible slice of cake? It was a form rejection.

    At least she didn't even remember that she had submitted!

  6. #3831
    Could be worse! Marzioli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by W.L. Marks View Post
    My sister just came in the room to tell me that she had received a rejection e-mail. From a market she submitted to in October 2010.
    Wow! Was it a novel sub or a short story sub?
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

    Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

    - "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

    Blog:
    Tales From Marz

  7. #3832
    practical experience, FTW W.L. Marks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Pretty sure it was a couple of poems. I guess they were thinking really hard about those few words.

  8. #3833
    You don't have coffee? Go away. WordCount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smalltown, USA
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by W.L. Marks View Post
    Pretty sure it was a couple of poems. I guess they were thinking really hard about those few words.
    They were "reading between the lines."

    *runs away while the crowd throws tomatoes.

  9. #3834
    New kid, be gentle! Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235
    1 day rejection from 42 M*gazine.(edited to be on the safe side)

    Quote Originally Posted by W.L. Marks View Post
    I lurk on this thread normally, but I had to share this one, because it made me feel so silly for pouting over some of my longer rejections.

    My sister just came in the room to tell me that she had received a rejection e-mail. From a market she submitted to in October 2010.

    The icing on that horrible slice of cake? It was a form rejection.

    At least she didn't even remember that she had submitted!
    WOW! Almost 2 years with a market, just for a form rejection. Imagine all the other places she could have sent her writings in the mean time.

    to her.
    Last edited by Shadow; 05-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Number of stories out now: 1
    2010 sales: 2
    2011 sales: 0
    2012 sales: 3(52 rejections)
    2013 sales: 0
    2014 sales so far:

    Photography stuff:
    http://rrj.fineartamerica.com/

  10. #3835
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    It took me a couple of minutes to track this back down, but here's a blog post from someone who waited SIX YEARS for a form rejection.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  11. #3836
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    115-day form R from Nameless.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  12. #3837
    Could be worse! Marzioli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
    115-day form R from Nameless.
    Really?!? They're on the move? Is their form the typical, "Thanks, try us again. Good luck," type thing?
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

    Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

    - "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

    Blog:
    Tales From Marz

  13. #3838
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
    Really?!? They're on the move? Is their form the typical, "Thanks, try us again. Good luck," type thing?
    Exactly.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  14. #3839
    figuring it all out sarahthegrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
    It took me a couple of minutes to track this back down, but here's a blog post from someone who waited SIX YEARS for a form rejection.
    Gah. Some markets have a disturbing lack of basic respect for writers. It's not like they depend on writers for their product or anything....

    I'm endlessly grateful for (1) duotrope and (2) markets like Lightspeed and Coloured Lens who respond all but instantly. Markets who turn over slush at lightning speed will get the pick of the litter in the long run, since everyone will submit there first. Ideally, this will drive the lollygaggers to either pick it up or die off.

  15. #3840
    practical experience, FTW faerydancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    596
    Sorry about the Rs, everyone! Received two in the past few days from ASIM and Buzzy. Onward!
    Brenda Stokes Barron
    The Digital Inkwell
    Twitter
    -----


    Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
    The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
    Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011

  16. #3841
    practical experience, FTW W.L. Marks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahthegrey View Post
    I'm endlessly grateful for (1) duotrope and (2) markets like Lightspeed and Coloured Lens who respond all but instantly. Markets who turn over slush at lightning speed will get the pick of the litter in the long run, since everyone will submit there first. Ideally, this will drive the lollygaggers to either pick it up or die off.
    I think you're absolutely right about them getting first pick, Sarah. My order of submissions for pro markets is pretty much organized by response time. Clarkesworld and Lightspeed see my work first, then markets that respond in about a month or less, and then it trickles down to the slowpokes. Of course, I dream of fabulous publications like those two accepting my stories, so they'd probably be pretty close to the top positions anyway!

  17. #3842
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    43 days to a round 2 R from DSF. Looks like they're responding to a lot of round 2's this morning, according to Duotrope.

  18. #3843
    Book lover/Spy Sai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Back home
    Posts
    2,392
    Personal rejection from Ideaomancer. Time to see what the folks at The Colored Lens think of it!
    A Year on Saturn <--- My site/blog

    Absolute Visions now on sale!

    Kuri-ousity.com
    The site for manga news and reviews.



  19. #3844
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    43 days to a round 2 R from DSF. Looks like they're responding to a lot of round 2's this morning, according to Duotrope.
    Ugh, sorry to hear about that.

    I got a 1-day R from S&S 27 for my submission there. It appears like it might be a higher-tier form. Story has already been resubmitted.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  20. #3845
    practical experience, FTW kd1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    254
    Sorry to hear about those Rs, everyone. Hugs!

    Waiting patiently for the crickets to cease. Maybe if I eat some of them, I'll get my Rs faster.

    All work and no play makes kd a dull girl.

  21. #3846
    Misanthropic Humanist d.thomaswise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by kd1984 View Post
    Sorry to hear about those Rs, everyone. Hugs!

    Waiting patiently for the crickets to cease. Maybe if I eat some of them, I'll get my Rs faster.

    All work and no play makes kd a dull girl.
    I've tried it. All you end up with is cricket legs between your teeth.

    Congrats on the R's everyone; each one is one less to the next acceptance.

  22. #3847
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    sub-1-day form R from Lightspeed
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  23. #3848
    Book lover/Spy Sai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Back home
    Posts
    2,392
    Rejection haiku:

    Ah, The Colored Lens,
    Your glance swift yet perceptive.
    0-day, personal.
    A Year on Saturn <--- My site/blog

    Absolute Visions now on sale!

    Kuri-ousity.com
    The site for manga news and reviews.



  24. #3849
    Could be worse! Marzioli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai View Post
    Rejection haiku:

    Ah, The Colored Lens,
    Your glance swift yet perceptive.
    0-day, personal.
    *finger-snap applause*
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

    Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

    - "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

    Blog:
    Tales From Marz

  25. #3850
    practical experience, FTW fihr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai View Post
    Rejection haiku:

    Ah, The Colored Lens,
    Your glance swift yet perceptive.
    0-day, personal.
    Love it. Brilliant. So apt.

    Better luck with the next market all the same!

Page 154 of 321 FirstFirst ... 5479104129144148149150151152153154155156157158159160164179204229254 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search