Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
0-day personal rejection from The Colored Lens.

Basically, they said they liked the concept of creating life, and my crazy scientist was believable, but they didn't like my overuse of dialog and lacking use of action. It didn't "engage" them.
Eh, sounds like a personal thing. I love dialogue, and don't mind a dialogue heavy story so long as it isn't all dialogue.

after close to 300 days at Analog, I log in and see it's rejected. No form, no letter, nope. Just suddently 'Rejected"
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. :( :Hug2:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
after close to 300 days at Analog, I log in and see it's rejected. No form, no letter, nope. Just suddently 'Rejected"

Jeez, my condolences, that's rough. But they must have liked it to have held onto it for so long. Maybe another market will like it even more :).

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Two 90+ Form R's from Crazyhorse and LORE. Not too fussed. Why do they all have to come at once though?

I have 34 subs out at present and 3 of them I am particularly excited about. I am setting my sights on at least an acceptance and a personal R from that little trio so please prepare some loving arms for my inevitable crushing.

Last edited:

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
To 90+ Form R's from Crazyhorse and LORE. Not too fussed. Why do they all have to come at once though?

I have 34 subs out at present and 3 of them I am particularly excited about. I am setting my sights on at least an acceptance and a personal R from that little trio so please prepare some loving arms for my inevitable crushing.

34 subs out? WHOA. You are awesome. Good luck! Hope you get an acceptance!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
To 90+ Form R's from Crazyhorse and LORE. Not too fussed. Why do they all have to come at once though?

34?! :Hail: I bow to the submission master!

JWGriebel

Decrepit
Registered
Reaction score
This was a rejection I received from Shimmer not too long ago:

Dear Jesse,

Thank you for sending 'The Mostly True Accounts of Johnny B Riley' to Shimmer, we appreciated the chance the read it. Unfortunately, however, it isn't quite right for us. I enjoyed the humorous narrative voice, and found it engaging, but while the ideas within the story were interesting, the general idea -a person narrating from beyond death- is a story that we've seen several times before, and I felt that this didn't really add anything new to the tale. It's isn't for us then, but we wish you all the best in finding a home for it.

Good luck with your writing!

best,
(edited out editor's name for privacy's sake)
Shimmer Magazine

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
I usually just lurk, but I just got an R from Strange Horizons on a story I quite like, so it's stinging more than usual.

It's only the second rejection on this piece, so I'm sure I have a lot more stings to go. Still, I would like to indulge in a brief pity party over it.

:cry:

Also, it's now my goal to even have 34 submittable stories available. Holy cow. I am both astounded by and deeply envious of your productivity.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just lurk, but I just got an R from Strange Horizons on a story I quite like, so it's stinging more than usual.
I sympathize. I empathize. Let it out until the pain is a dulled and distant memory.

Also, it's now my goal to even have 34 submittable stories available. Holy cow. I am both astounded by and deeply envious of your productivity.
Good luck with that! The better I get, the slower I become. However, that's obviously not the case with Mr. Deadlights. In other words, I'm resigned to be anything other than the Michael Jordon of writing. I'd be content with a well paid bench warmer. :D Currently I sit at 19 out (3 of which are simultaneous subs), 9 trunked, and one still in the crit stage.

This was a rejection I received from Shimmer not too long ago:
Nice! I'd take that as a compliment, especially since I believe there are a lot of markets that don't mind tropes, provided they're entertaining.

To report my own gloom, I just got a quick 12-day rejection from Buzzy Mag. Previously, I got a 3-day from ASIM (I don't remember if I mentioned that). Both are back out in the marketplace, knocking on doors.

Last edited:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, sounds like a personal thing. I love dialogue, and don't mind a dialogue heavy story so long as it isn't all dialogue.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. :( :Hug2:

They didn't really go into anything specifically wrong with the plot, which was odd. Strangely, I thought that they'd mention about how they disagree with the ending. (Crazy wants-to-be-god scientist kills other scientist in cold blood for a project.)

I don't know. Don't really know where to send next, though. It was only 800 words. D:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Nice to see all the new names in the forum!

24-day form R from Daily Science Fiction over here.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, newcomers! And condolences to you and our veterans for the rejections.

Allow me to hang my head in shame and admit something dreadful: I only have one (ONE!!!!) submission out. I'll soon have three, as I'm finally finding some time to write, but still. Just one at the moment. Take that, Simon!! :D

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Ouch! :(

I'm still waiting, but expect much the same soon now.

Oh, and O'Dandelo, I only have one out too. Don't feel bad, just write more! :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
For the count, I have 20 stories out, but 2 of them doesn't count because one is sitting in Pedestal from their last theme (yes, it's still there), and the other is from AE's micro contest. Not sure what the trouble is with sending form R's, you'd think they could at least do that much.

To report my own gloom, I just got a quick 12-day rejection from Buzzy Mag. Previously, I got a 3-day from ASIM (I don't remember if I mentioned that). Both are back out in the marketplace, knocking on doors.
I received my Buzzy R as well. And I'm a little shocked that some--maybe a little more than "some"--of the stuff they've published is not all that good. I know I've sent stories better than this.

They didn't really go into anything specifically wrong with the plot, which was odd. Strangely, I thought that they'd mention about how they disagree with the ending. (Crazy wants-to-be-god scientist kills other scientist in cold blood for a project.)

I don't know. Don't really know where to send next, though. It was only 800 words. D:
If it's SF, you could try DSF. There's also FFO (Flash Fiction Online).

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, my condolences, that's rough. But they must have liked it to have held onto it for so long. Maybe another market will like it even more :).

Eh, IDK. I queried a couple times. Once they said they were considering it, the second time they said, "oh, we lost it somehow, resend and we'll get back really soon."

never got back. *sigh*

and hugs to the others in here, never fun.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the Rs, everybody. Spectacular R, V1c, but I think I have you beat :cry:. Maybe we should have a contest for best R of the year ...

I received an acceptance from Ap&x at the end of last summer, then never heard anything more from them. My first acceptance. I finally worked up the courage to query, and was told since they don't find a record of the acceptance in the former editor's notes it must have all been a mistake, and since they no longer accept stories over 5000 words I can consider the story rejected :Shrug:. Wow.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the Rs, everybody. Spectacular R, V1c, but I think I have you beat :cry:. Maybe we should have a contest for best R of the year ...

I received an acceptance from Ap&x at the end of last summer, then never heard anything more from them. My first acceptance. I finally worked up the courage to query, and was told since they don't find a record of the acceptance in the former editor's notes it must have all been a mistake, and since they no longer accept stories over 5000 words I can consider the story rejected :Shrug:. Wow.

Wow, Pemako. I don't know what to say. That must sting. I'm truly sorry. But at least you know that if Schmapex will accept it, you have plenty of great options! See that tiny silver lining in the black cloud!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com

OUCH. I'm so sorry to hear that! I second O'Dandelo. Take it as an indication that your work is worthy!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

OMG, I'm so sorry. :( That's just awful and downright inconsiderate. I don't suppose you saved the email of the acceptance, because really, what editor "mistakenly" accepts a story?

Major hugs. :e2grouphu

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
OMG, I'm so sorry. :( That's just awful and downright inconsiderate. I don't suppose you saved the email of the acceptance, because really, what editor "mistakenly" accepts a story?

Major hugs. :e2grouphu

Yeah... That's... Wow.

IMO, that's a big deal if a publication is going back on an acceptance.