Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Form rejection from Horror on the Installment Plan. Maybe I shouldn't have queried about my submission...oh well. I've been writing a lot of horror lately, so I'm kind of shuffling several pieces from market to market.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Pedestal and The New Yorker. (Which took 149 days to get back to me. Between them and Tin House, the story's been sitting in slush a lot since I wrote it.) I'm very vague about non-spec-fic markets so now I'm kind of all "Huh. Where next?" :p
You could try Narrative--before they close fee-free submissions. There's also Glimmer Train. Those are the two places I sent my non-spec fic story to.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another West Branch rejection today. And I have reached the three-story limit for the reading period.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
And Cincinnati Review just sent me two rejection on the same story. I guess they are really, really not interested in publishing it.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
And Cincinnati Review just sent me two rejection on the same story. I guess they are really, really not interested in publishing it.
That happened to me once. One R was sent in four days, the next after 75 days, with the added note, "We held on to this one for further consideration, but ultimately decided to pass." I'd like to think the first one was a mistake, but I think it's more likely they forgot they rejected it already and tried to justify holding onto it for so long, to be nice (and maybe to save face).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Strange Horizons form rejection. I kind of like how they ask you not to submit for two weeks after a rejection: it fires me up and makes me mark it on my calendar. Strange Horizons, you better be ready, cause on April 27th my story is going to arrive in your inbox and knock your socks off.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Strange Horizons form rejection. I kind of like how they ask you not to submit for two weeks after a rejection: it fires me up and makes me mark it on my calendar. Strange Horizons, you better be ready, cause on April 27th my story is going to arrive in your inbox and knock your socks off.
lol!

I get to sub to them again on the 24th...except I don't know what story to send them. I don't think they take flash, or do they?

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Pedestal and The New Yorker. (Which took 149 days to get back to me. Between them and Tin House, the story's been sitting in slush a lot since I wrote it.) I'm very vague about non-spec-fic markets so now I'm kind of all "Huh. Where next?" :p

Aggie, I'm in the same boat with the non-spec-fic markets. I've had sort of a scattershot approach to them. One thing I've found helpful is to look through the various "Best of..." collections and find stories that I like/feel somewhat similar in tone to what I write, and then target those markets.

Good luck!

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
32-day form R from Goldfish Grimm.

But I allowed a flash story to write itself today, and deserve a pat on the back for staying out of its way.

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
...and a four-HOUR, personal, very nice R from The Colored Lens. I mean, really nice. But still an R.

Can I buy a vowel?

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
...and a four-HOUR, personal, very nice R from The Colored Lens. I mean, really nice. But still an R.

Can I buy a vowel?

I love The Colored Lens's editorial staff. Seriously -- some of the most insightful rejections I've gotten have come from them.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Can I buy a vowel?

Yes. You can have a U.

Put it in Colored, where it belongs.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. You can have a U.

Put it in Colored, where it belongs.
Pssh. You and your British spelling. :tongue

3-day form R from Apex--yay! (not)
Ugh, where to send it to next? Might try Wily's Urban Horror--a story with a satire bent about a book that feeds on blood could potentially fall under that, right?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. It could.

Try it.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Back from a 4-day trip and still hear those crickets chirping. By the way, on tuesday I joined the Washington Pastime uneven prose club.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Back from a 4-day trip and still hear those crickets chirping. By the way, on tuesday I joined the Washington Pastime uneven prose club.
Nice! You're in good company... Assuming you allow most of us here are good company.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never got the "uneven prose" R from them. My few Rs have been fairly complimentary--but I won't be sending anymore submissions in until they streamline their pay rates.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a couple today. Personals from both Shimmer and Stupefying Stories.

Ah well. Maybe next time.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
16 days to "close but not quite what we're looking for" from Clarkesworld.

This is the first time I got past the basic form R there, after 7 attempts total.

At 1350 words its too short for Lightspeed and I just sent something to F&SF. So where do I send it next? I'm thinking maybe Asimov's. Gotta see if they take that length.