Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Rejectomancy

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
    I disagree. I think they should be deified, and immortalized with gold-font ascii images.
    I think they should be tagged and released into the wild so they can be studied.

Gargling blasters
    Crickets have been silenced. Rs from TNY, Fantastique Unfettered and One Buck Horror in the last few days. I can't feel too bad, though; just got some uni results back and I'm breezing the course, and my band's Facebook page finally went live :-)

http://www.chrisbissette.com
    I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic

Banned
    8-day R from Weird Tales--that was fast! Dunno if this is higher tier form or not, but they said the story was well written. I'll have to try them again when they reopen (hopefully soon).

The cricket siege is over! Form rejection from The New Yorker, which is too bad but at the same time it feels like a minor milestone (it was my first time subbing to them).

Quote Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
    8-day R from Weird Tales--that was fast! Dunno if this is higher tier form or not, but they said the story was well written. I'll have to try them again when they reopen (hopefully soon).
    I've been meaning to sub something again to Weird Tales, but I couldn't find their pay rate on their website. Any idea what their rates are? Sorry about the R.
    A Year on Saturn <--- My site/blog

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
    The site for manga news and reviews.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai View Post
    I've been meaning to sub something again to Weird Tales, but I couldn't find their pay rate on their website. Any idea what their rates are? Sorry about the R.
    *looks* Here's their submission page, but no pay rate--maybe they forgot to include it, because I know once upon a time it was there. I assume they're still a pro-paying market since duotropes lists them as that.

Probably higher tier! I sent them a bizarro piece that's admittedly inaccessible and breaks most of the rules, and they didn't bother to comment on the prose.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dandelo View Post
    I think they should be tagged and released into the wild so they can be studied.
    Careful what you say there, O'Dandelo. You're dangerously close to their ilk...

On a side note to no one in particular, did you notice Stupefying Stories now has an acceptance rate of 17%?!? That's pretty high. I'll be interested to see what the readers think of these newer issues. The previous ones were highly praised, on Amazon at least.
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
    Tales From Marz

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    On a side note to no one in particular, did you notice Stupefying Stories now has an acceptance rate of 17%?!? That's pretty high. I'll be interested to see what the readers think of these newer issues. The previous ones were highly praised, on Amazon at least.
    I have a story in the next issue, so they better praise it. <shakes fist, says in Homer Simpson voice:> praaaise it...

I thought Weird Tales is paying 3c/word now, but I can;'t for the life of me find where I saw that, so I could be wrong.

Well I asked about the pay rate in response to their acceptance, yet to receive a reply, as they'll send me the contract when preparing the issue in question.

(of course now I'm sure they felt offended by such ground hugging triviality and reconsidered...)

Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    I thought Weird Tales is paying 3c/word now, but I can;'t for the life of me find where I saw that, so I could be wrong.
    About a week ago Weird Tales' submission page listed 5c/word. It was very recent, I know that. Could be they're lowering it, which would be...um, weird for a "venerable" publication.

I have a story in the next issue, so they better praise it. <shakes fist, says in Homer Simpson voice:> praaaise it...
    Oh, nice! I was wondering how long they took to go to press. I read in their announcement that they had the recent issue finished, and two more filled out. I wonder how many of us will be in the same issue... Either way, I plan to support your guy's work as much as my meager budget will allow. I have Kindle PC now, but some day I may go all out for the Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by goldmund View Post
    (of course now I'm sure they felt offended by such ground hugging triviality and reconsidered...)
    I realize you're kidding, but I just wanted to mention that the way they handled an antagonistic poster to their suspension of submissions was very professional. And, professionally speaking, your question is very appropriate. They're probably just busy. It really sounds like the new editorial staff inherited a cluster eff when they decided to continue with Weird Tales.
    Forthcoming:

Recent Publications:

Blog:
    Tales From Marz

Sadly, I'm not kidding... My mind is a bit paranoid about positive things. (They might not survive to make the issue, They mistook my story with somebody else's, They're going to read this post and explode in fury, etc.)
    But thanks, what you said about professionalism helped my poor nerves.

Oh, nice! I was wondering how long they took to go to press. I read in their announcement that they had the recent issue finished, and two more filled out. I wonder how many of us will be in the same issue...
    They sent out payment and announced the TOC for the upcoming issue on their Facebook page already. However, I do have another story accepted there, so we may turn out to be TOC mates yet

OK, I got the response. WT pays 3c / word and it's always been so.

Interesting! I'm positive I saw 5c on their site. But let us assume I am, somehow, mistaken.

practical experience, FTW Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler Lillie's Avatar
    I bet it was worth more in Lovecraft's day, though.

Published stories

Most recent publications
    Far From Shore at Bent Masses
    Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
    Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

In Lovecraft's day they paid with coal.

Banned
    Emailed duo about it since for the longest time they've had WT listed as pro-paying. ...Also need to email about WP.

I found a bunch of stuff on Google from last year saying Weird Tales was raising their rate to 5 cents/word. Perhaps they never went through with it.

Emailed duo about it since for the longest time they've had WT listed as pro-paying. ...Also need to email about WP.
    Yes, please contact them re: WP. I e-mailed them about it already and they said they'll look into it, but I figure it can't hurt to have more people report these situations.

practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    The crickets have gone away. 32-day form R from IGMS.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)

You don't have coffee? Go away. WordCount's Avatar
    Personal R from Bete Noire

"Even though we enjoyed it, there was too much telling and not enough showing."

They sent out payment and announced the TOC for the upcoming issue on their Facebook page already. However, I do have another story accepted there, so we may turn out to be TOC mates yet
    That'd be awesome, especially if we could get a handful of AW boardies in the same issue! My only stipulation is that you guys and girls not show me up too badly...

And O'Dandelo, I could swear I saw the same thing at precisely the time you mentioned--a week ago. Curiouser and curioser.

Edit: I looked it up, and they did raise it to five cents on Jan 2011. I'll bet when they changed editors these past few months they silently altered their payrate. Still, three cents is nothing to sneeze at, what with there being no cap. That's the highest semi-pro rate out there, I think.
    Last edited by Marzioli; 04-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Forthcoming:

Recent Publications:

Blog:
    Tales From Marz

practical experience, FTW Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler Lillie's Avatar
    Oh Poo.

Shock Totem and Ideomancer. Together.

Published stories

Most recent publications
    Far From Shore at Bent Masses
    Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
    Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

(Hugs) Lillie.

It sucks when rejections gang up on you!

practical experience, FTW kd1984's Avatar
    So sorry, Lillie! Looks like we can be rejection buddies. I woke up to a rejection from Shock Totem as well.

Page 140 of 321 FirstFirst ... 406590115130134135136137138139140141142143144145146150165190215240 ... LastLast