Rejectomancy

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm past due on a few (DSF, ASIM, Expanded Horizons, Lore), and due today on others (IGMS, maybe Brevity). Horror on the Installment Plan has me worried with their Duotrope disqualification. Now I can't see if the man is rejecting or accepting things. Nameless is supposed to drop rejects and acceptances within a week, according to their Facebook response.

I'm running out of markets to submit to for the majority of my stories, assuming I keep up my top-to-bottom approach. I've been getting pretty good responses from semi-pros, but, due to said approach, I have to collect like 7 or 8 rejections to get it. Fun fun fun!

Can you not request that Duotrope make Horror on the Installment Plan a DNQ market? They do have some that don't qualify but can still be recorded and tracked through Duotrope. But you have to make a request for it. (Just like requesting a normal market, only you specify that it be listed as "does not qualify".

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Can you not request that Duotrope make Horror on the Installment Plan a DNQ market? They do have some that don't qualify but can still be recorded and tracked through Duotrope.
It has DNQ listed by the market's name, but when I click the link it only shows the details of its disqualification. Is there an extra step I would have to take to activate tracking? Here's the current link.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Final-round bounce from Allegory last night. I really like this story but it's running out of places to go :( Not a lot of markets for sword & sorcery (well, just sorcery) flash.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
They've been generally behind lately, but I do see a steady stream of 40-45 day rejections on Duotrope, so yours must be up for serious consideration.

I don;t think it's unreasonable to query again, though I'd probably wait till it's been 90 days (since they confirmed that they have the story and are considering it already).

Good luck either way!

Alex, I just signed in and saw this-thank you so much for the good wishes and advice! As for it being up for serious consideration, well, from your lips to...you know the drill ;)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got blasted today. 32-day R by IGMS, 7-day R by F&SF (low tier--but I love this bizarro piece too much to give up on it), and 20-day R from DSF.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Marzioli, sorry to hear about those Rs. Those are incredibly tough markets, as you obviously know, particularly submitting a bizarro piece to F&SF. Keep it circulating to those markets!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got blasted today. 32-day R by IGMS, 7-day R by F&SF (low tier--but I love this bizarro piece too much to give up on it), and 20-day R from DSF.

Sorry to hear about the Rs but lots of R's is a function of sending out lots of subs, so don't let this discourage you or slow you down!

I'm at 43 rejections and counting so far in 2012.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, I just signed in and saw this-thank you so much for the good wishes and advice! As for it being up for serious consideration, well, from your lips to...you know the drill ;)

Ann,

Let us know how it turns out! We might end up as TOC mates (I have one story accepted at OBH and unpublished as of yet, and one more in the slush at the 40-day mark)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alex & O'Dandelo, those are definitely good things to remember!

And I won't even mention my own rejections of 2012 so far. Let's just say I'm currently pacing for 240 by years end. :D Right now most of my stories are home. I need to flip 'em back out again. On the bright side, it's nice to have so many markets suddenly open to me!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the rejections, guys.

Today hasn't been a good day. I woke up to a rejection from Clarkesworld. The story came very close and was shortlisted, but still, no dice. I'm happy about getting that far, but man I'm disappointed.

Two more rejections rolled in soon after. The first from Escape Pod for a story I sent out yesterday after it had been sitting on my computer for far too long. The second from the Bibliotheca Fantastica anthology. Rewrote the story from scratch three times, wrestled with it forever, and I got a less than 24 hour rejection. *sigh*

I know it's all a part of the game. I do. But damn, does it hurt more some days than others.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Let's just say I'm currently pacing for 240 by years end.

If it makes you feel any better, unless I miscounted on Duotrope, I'm at 95 rejections since 1/1/2012. My pleasant weekend came after a LOT of rejection. Hang in there!

I know it's all a part of the game. I do. But damn, does it hurt more some days than others.

Ouch. That's a rough set of Rs. Sorry to hear about the BF one, in particular, because I know how hard you'd been working on it. Like I told Marzioli, hang in there!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks MHaynes! Appreciate the encouragement.

And faerydancer, my deep respect for your Clarkesworld sub hanging out so long, and my condolences on the subsequent R.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Today hasn't been a good day. I woke up to a rejection from Clarkesworld. The story came very close and was shortlisted, but still, no dice. I'm happy about getting that far, but man I'm disappointed.

Two more rejections rolled in soon after. The first from Escape Pod for a story I sent out yesterday after it had been sitting on my computer for far too long. The second from the Bibliotheca Fantastica anthology. Rewrote the story from scratch three times, wrestled with it forever, and I got a less than 24 hour rejection. *sigh*

Ouch, so sorry to hear that, Brenda. :(

On the positive note, a story that hung on that long at Clarkesworld should be a very strong contender anywhere else. You should try each of the big 3 with it if you haven't already.

There are still, what, 4 days left for Bibliotheca submissions? Keep brainstorming! If you come up with anything last-minute, send it my way and I will do a fast crit.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, unless I miscounted on Duotrope, I'm at 95 rejections since 1/1/2012.

OK you may know an answer to this.. I'm curious -- at which point (if ever) does Duotrope drop off your oldest submissions from the main "my subs" page? I'm at over 200 lifetime and they're all appearing each time I load the page, so far.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It has DNQ listed by the market's name, but when I click the link it only shows the details of its disqualification. Is there an extra step I would have to take to activate tracking? Here's the current link.

Ah. I may have misunderstood their DNQ listings. I believe you can still track your own story, but maybe they don't make available the full feed. I had thought they did, but I was reading pretty fast the time I was asking for something to be listed. :(

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
OK you may know an answer to this.. I'm curious -- at which point (if ever) does Duotrope drop off your oldest submissions from the main "my subs" page? I'm at over 200 lifetime and they're all appearing each time I load the page, so far.

The "Submissions Tracker" page? I have things back to 2009 there, which -- if I recall correctly -- I had entered actually back at that time. I have 211 total entries on the page.

However, if we're talking about the same page, and if you *want* to only see what you have outstanding (which is what I do), then you can do this: Below the set of status checkboxes, check "Check Pending Only. You could also check "Rewrite Request" if you want to see those, which probably makes sense. Once you've done that, check the "Remember these settings..." checkbox. Then hit "Show" and this should be the default view for you going forward.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score

Ouch! It says great things about your story that it made it so far, but I can imagine how the sudden destruction of hope would submerge the silver lining. (How's that for a horrible mixing of metaphors?)

I'm expecting a 2-day rejection from Clarkesworld today. My story is now under review.

I also have a very old cricket out that 1) I am super stoked about but 2) I will be crushed if/when it comes back an R. I keep reminding myself that an R is the most likely scenario. Still, it's hard not to hope.

And I've now received my 2-day Clarkesworld rejection. I have a few changes I want to make to it, but I should have it back out to another market in a day or two.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "Submissions Tracker" page? I have things back to 2009 there, which -- if I recall correctly -- I had entered actually back at that time. I have 211 total entries on the page.

However, if we're talking about the same page, and if you *want* to only see what you have outstanding (which is what I do), then you can do this: Below the set of status checkboxes, check "Check Pending Only. You could also check "Rewrite Request" if you want to see those, which probably makes sense. Once you've done that, check the "Remember these settings..." checkbox. Then hit "Show" and this should be the default view for you going forward.

Ah, thanks. Remember these settings is the part of the equation that I was missing.

How is it that you only have 211 things on there though? I have over 200, but I haven't sent out nearly as many subs as you.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I was thinking that Duotrope dropped the stuff over a year old, but on second look, it's that I did what Michael mentioned and set it to only show pending material.

Faerydancer, I had one of those Clarkesworld ones last month. Not much fun. :Hug2:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, mhaynes. I'll give you a run for your money, if Alex wants no part!