Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Still no Shock Totem response for me. I think at this point crickets are definitely a good thing. Fingers crossed.
Still pulling for you! It'd be nice to open up the next issue of ST and see your story in it. And I'd be like, I know that guy!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Two paragraphs, gettingby? Kudos! You certainly are close.

Thanks, O'Dandelo. I was pretty happy to get so much feedback. It seems like they liked it almost enough to take it. I only wish my story was slightly better. I don't really know how to change it, but now I think it is better than I thought when I first sent it out.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Finally, the Stupefying Stories matter has been resolved! Read my signature file if you want to find out the results. ;)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Congrats, Marzioli!

I got an R from Analog last week. Reworked, resubbed. *pushes boulder uphill*

I really like this one, I hope I can find a home for it.

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Marzioli!

The sheepz say it's weird to be dancing in Rejectomancy, but as you haven't posted this in Braggage, they'll have to do it here.

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I promise I won't make a point of posting good news in Rejectomancy. I just thought since I had so many issues with this sub, that were all posted here, a little closure would be apropos.

In more suitable news, form rejection from Writer's of the Future Contest. On the bright side, they say they're working on making rejections faster. In the next few contests, we may be looking at 70 and 80 day R's instead of 90 and 100 days.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I promise I won't make a point of posting good news in Rejectomancy. I just thought since I had so many issues with this sub, that were all posted here, a little closure would be apropos.

In more suitable news, form rejection from Writer's of the Future Contest. On the bright side, they say they're working on making rejections faster. In the next few contests, we may be looking at 70 and 80 day R's instead of 90 and 100 days.

Was that WotF rejection from today, or from earlier in the week? I didn't think they sent them out on weekends; if they do, there goes my weekend break from worry.

I'm still waiting on mine, but I subbed on new years eve, so i'm still below 80 in number of days waiting. Faster responses would definitely be nice, though as the only other sub I have out right now just passed the 1/2 year mark earlier this week, 90 or 100 days isn't sounding to long to me right now.

(and congrats on your good news!)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
11 day R from Unstuck :(

I'd started to hope.
But they said they admired it, which is nice.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*hugs* Lillie. :Hug2:

At least they liked it, which means the story is good, just wasn't for them. It'll find its home.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
Sorry Lillie. :( I'm at day 8 with them, and starting to fret.

I've had three R's this week, and two of them today. My WotF sometime earlier in the week. A "P.S. Almost" from DSF this morning, and one from Ideomancer this afternoon with a note that the writing is good but the spec element was too conventional for them.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
A "P.S. Almost" from DSF this morning

I've received a similar comment before. I thought I remembered DSF having a "Stage Two" type situation, though. I take it this means that the story almost made Stage Two? (I suppose Stage Two could be solely about story fit, etc. as opposed to quality...)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've received a similar comment before. I thought I remembered DSF having a "Stage Two" type situation, though. I take it this means that the story almost made Stage Two? (I suppose Stage Two could be solely about story fit, etc. as opposed to quality...)

Yeah, it means nearly missing round 2.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com

I know they have a second stage, but that they've also bought stories directly from stage one. I'm not sure what prompts them to do that vs. moving passing it to another round. Mine was there 26 days, though, so I took the 'almost' to mean it alluded to purchase, not moving on to another round.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Lillie. :( I'm at day 8 with them, and starting to fret.

I've had three R's this week, and two of them today. My WotF sometime earlier in the week. A "P.S. Almost" from DSF this morning, and one from Ideomancer this afternoon with a note that the writing is good but the spec element was too conventional for them.

Interesting, I got an R from Ideomancer last month that was almost word for word the same. Guess "not speculative enough" is one of their stock answers.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection from GlimmerTrain for the Very Short Story Contest. No official email yet, but the system says it all.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Strange Horizons for In the Cool of the Day. Not sure if it will fit well at Asimov's but I sent it there anyway. (They do say some fantasy is okay. Dunno how they feel about magical realism.)

Onward!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Strange Horizons for In the Cool of the Day. Not sure if it will fit well at Asimov's but I sent it there anyway. (They do say some fantasy is okay. Dunno how they feel about magical realism.)

Onward!

Good luck! I think you probably have a better chance with magical realism than straight up fantasy when it comes to Asimov's. When they do stray from sci-fi they seem to go for weirder, non-classifiable stuff than the straight-up fantastic.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Strange Horizons (among other markets, but I feel like I'll be hearing from SH first most likely).

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the recent R's (Marzioli, Aggie, Lillie, Adam, JW). Also great to read about your acceptance Marzioli. Thanks to everyone who mentions the wording of their R's as well - it helps to be able to decipher them a little more, especially when the wording maybe sounds specific to your story but then you find out they say the same thing to everyone. I find this thread pretty informative - its also helpful to see when a batch of stories from the same place get rejected/accepted, if you're also waiting in the same queue.

I have a couple of stories out at the moment, but its all crickets. Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying reading Learn Writing With Uncle Jim here at AW - think I might go and buy a copy of Misery now, to read about the relationship of reader and author, like Uncle Jim suggested. (My writing group has me reading wonderful literary prose, but sadly it takes me ages to get into some of those stories.)