Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...aaaand just got my rejection from One Buck Horror. It was there the longest of all their submissions so far, so I'd like to think that it was at least close, but the result's still the same.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a good way to think about it, Alex. :)

And...I probably haven't reported...but I heard back from SubTropics. A big ole R. *sigh*

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here, but I can barely sit still, obsessing over response times over at DT, going over my spreadsheet to see what else I can send/'legally' sim-sub, trying to concentrate on a few new pieces but...I can barely sit still.

I have a few pieces out past market average and even max times and I know sometimes it means something and more often not, but in any case I'm antsy, antsy, antsy.

This post will probably trigger a rain of responses now...I guess I'll just sit and look up.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
In some true rejectomancy, my latest sub to Strange Horizons was signed by a first reader. Which means the previous one really was read by an editor! Okay, they both sent me the same form. But small victories.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Received a rejection from Clarkesworld. After doing some research (aka obsessively combing through the Clarkesworld forums for hints) I discovered that I got a forum letter. Boo-urns to that. Oh well, turned around and subbed it to Strange Horizons.

Edit: When I say 'forum letter' I mean 'form letter.' Cursed homophones!

Last edited:

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Ack, sorry to hear, Polenth and Sai.

Not sure if this belongs here, but I can barely sit still, obsessing over response times over at DT, going over my spreadsheet to see what else I can send/'legally' sim-sub, trying to concentrate on a few new pieces but...I can barely sit still..
Yeah, crickets are nasty...

I got nothing. Not a peep from anywhere. I haven't had a rejection for weeks. And I'm getting really angsty about my long story. What am I doing? Why am I doing it? Am I wasting my time? I sat down toto shorten a PoV last night, but all I could do is add 2k.

Perhaps this should go into hug/kick instead.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*bear hugs for all you recjectomancers*

Tienci, crickets are worse than rejections, sometimes.

Polenth, yay? kinda? :) Probably means they'll buy the next one!

Sai, getting a personal from Clarkesworld is an achievement in its own right. Good on ya for getting it straight back out there.

Rose, you're definitely not wasting your time :) have another :Hug2:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Got a form R from One Forty Fiction on Bugs. Not a big deal since Twit fic is not really something I want to pursue. (It's fun, but ... yeah. Way too short to hold my interest.)

Crickets on everything else which has me biting my nails. Insomnia is right at the "average" point with ChiZine. And The Weather's Always Fine in Paradise is STILL sitting with GUD. >_<

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
*bear hugs for all you recjectomancers*
Rose, you're definitely not wasting your time :) have another :Hug2:
Thank you!

No -- the time is far from wasted. :)
Were you looking for an answer?

I was... now, the question is, do I trust you? :D

*ponders*

Ok, I do. Now, would you be my agent and/or my editor?

Crickets on everything else which has me biting my nails. Insomnia is right at the "average" point with ChiZine. And The Weather's Always Fine in Paradise is STILL sitting with GUD. >_<
Sorry about the R and the crickets. GUD is taking a very long time lately, which is why I haven't sent them anything since 2009.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R and the crickets. GUD is taking a very long time lately, which is why I haven't sent them anything since 2009.

Yeah. They've had The Weather's Always Fine for 424 days now. It's short-listed, but I'm just about to explode with waiting on a final verdict.

Aggy, not as antsy when she forgets what all she has out for consideration

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I still have nothing but crickets (well, apart from the yay! earlier this week). I only have 3 Rs so far this month, but i predicted 11. My rejection calculations for the year are facing potential disaster! :D Though, there are still 8 and a bit days left in the month for me.

Last edited:

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
I just withdrew a story that had been on submission for over 6 months, and sixty seconds after I withdrew it, I received a rejection.

It reminded me of a time I wanted to break up with a girl, and she asked to meet to talk, and I said I have something to say, then she said no let me go first, so I said okay, then she broke up with me!

I swear.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still have nothing but crickets (well, apart from the yay! earlier this week). I only have 3 Rs so far this month, but i predicted 11. My rejection calculations for the year are facing potential disaster! :D Though, there are still 8 and a bit days left in the month for me.

I had them crickets for the first half of the month but got a DELUGE of rejections in the last week, including one today from F&SF. I also have several stories at or beyond average RT's at DSF, ChiZine and a couple of others - so I expect lots more rejection before the month is out!

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I got tired of fussing over the wait times so I started a novel. They say characters are like your children: I agree--- they don't listen to me either.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

They might come back as acceptances, and then your stats will be shot to pieces! How will you survive?!

:e2teeth: