Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Shock Totem?

(On a side note: Borderlands 6 finally rejected another sub, this one at 173 days).

Last edited:

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
You assume correctly, Marzioli. At least we both made it through the last "batch reject" session. That's the one reason for my optimism. Let's keep each other posted. Good luck!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing yet, but I have a sub at Clarkesworld and Asimov, and the latter is under review as we speak. I can definitely expect a response in the next few hours, if not days. That was quick for Asimov, considering they have the standard R at 30 days (with only three exceptions all month) and mine's only day 15.

This prompted me to check on the story I have with them and sure enough "Under Review." Yikes. Now I have something else to fret about. ;)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
You assume correctly, Marzioli. At least we both made it through the last "batch reject" session. That's the one reason for my optimism. Let's keep each other posted. Good luck!
Will do! Although, judging by most of our habits, I'm sure we'll find out about the same time when ST's team boots back into action. Hopefully not with another resounding round of R's. :)

This prompted me to check on the story I have with them and sure enough "Under Review." Yikes. Now I have something else to fret about. ;)
I noticed it this morning, so now I've been obsessing about it all day. I realize they'll probably toss them out in a batch tonight or tomorrow, but every time I hit the computer I can't help refreshing the screen.

Edit: Just noticed my Clarkesworld's sub dropped queue just dropped thirteen places. Judging by their current pace, I may have my longest sub there yet! :D

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Annnnd another from Strange Horizons. I'm hitting the downside of that great feeling when you're able to send out a bunch of submissions at once: successive R's.

Oh well. At least it means I get to submit them again.

Fist bumps to my fellow rejectees.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Edit: Asimov R! Finally done.

Very nice response from Allegory regarding a withdrawal. Very nice man, that Mr. Drago. So nice, in fact, that I wanted to respond to his email. But I didn't, especially since I accidentally sent two emails regarding the withdrawal to two different emails as it is.

Last edited:

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think Shock Totem has an "Under Review" status. I think it's only the 3: Received, In-Progress, and then the decision.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
O'Dandelo: You may be right. I've researched Submishmash online, but from what I gather they have both automatic statuses and customizable ones, so it might vary from one market to the other. But as for certainty, I have none, and so defer to your belief. :)

Borderlands 6 update: More rejections, still in the 160 day mark!

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy, not fond of letting things sit idle
Amen to that. Painful knowing it was being read and having to wait more than 12 hours for the official word, but thankful for a relatively quick turnaround. I'm thinking Strange Horizons for mine, assuming I can stay up late enough to take advantage of their open submission time period.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Amen to that. Painful knowing it was being read and having to wait more than 12 hours for the official word, but thankful for a relatively quick turnaround. I'm thinking Strange Horizons for mine, assuming I can stay up late enough to take advantage of their open submission time period.

I would have done Strange Horizons, but they already have In the Cool of the Day after it got rejected from Lightspeed the other day.

ETA: Amazingly they were still open when I tried to sub. I'd been expecting to have to wait 'til midnight.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
R from Unstuck. Not sure if they've changed their form rejections or not, but this one reads as a higher tier form--at least higher than last time I sent something their way.

Although we're going to pass, we enjoyed the story, and hope that you'll send us more work during our next reading period.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a recently rejected story to a new place called Horror on the Installment Plan. I'm wary of new pro-markets after Result Jelly and Michael Moorcock's, but they offer simultaneous subs, so... I'm trying it. Also, I like the website.

Edit: He responded with a personal email received status. Once the word gets out, I have a feeling he's going to get slammed. Hope he has help!

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Rejections suck!
Acceptances swallow... :p

In other news, my old keyboard, attached to a seven year old laptop, was failing. It was hard to do D's and N's or to use the down arrow key (all of which were important to writing and/or editing). Got my replacement today, installed it myself and it works fine! Huzzah!

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Good on ya, Marz!

Rejections do suck rocks, as Calla says. I've gotten I think 10 for a book everyone "loves" but nobody is buying. Methinks it's time to take it 'round to the smaller houses who'll take a chance on an author with only one award and no more than 11 previous contracts.

Not snarky, I -- no, not at all.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
We should start an anthology: The Best Stuff Nobody Wanted.
I fear Amazon is full of self-published kindle books already with that implicit theme :(

Edit: March 14th: Rejections for Lightspeed and Clarkesworld. They timed it perfectly. March 15th, one from Analog.

Last edited:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
A pleasant R from Penumbra's Fractured Fairytale issue. "...made it to the final round of adjudication, ultimately the story did not work with the issue we were putting together"

I'm getting lots of 'we'd like to see more of your work', from various places, but actual acceptances elude me so far. I'm giving it five years before I throw my pen away!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm getting lots of 'we'd like to see more of your work', from various places, but actual acceptances elude me so far. I'm giving it five years before I throw my pen away!
Don't say that! You're getting close, very, very close. You'll find a home for your stories one day, it just takes some time. Keep on submitting and don't give up!

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I once attended a business lecture by someone who worked in theoretical models. He said he found that 90% of people quit at the very cusp of success. He said to keep going to the point you are too disheartened to go on, and then keep going just a little more. He had math to back him up. I remembered the words, not the formula.

Don't stop writing if you have stories to tell.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Heheh, Washington Pastime. The sentence in your R that tells me i have uneven prose is a horrible run-on that defies diagramming. There's a personal note within that sentence too, but i can't see how it relates to my story at all.

I shouldn't be so snarky, but if a zine has a form rejection that tells every author it turns down that their prose and formatting are uneven and inconsistent (without due cause most of the time, i'd wager), then they really should make sure they don't make those very mistakes themselves.

On another note: that's R number 27 for the year. I'm on track for one hundred! :hooray: (i hope there'll be some sales sprinkled in amongst that hundred too, of course :tongue)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Heheh, Washington Pastime.
My sentiments exactly. Frankly, I don't like the way they do business, what with their new irrelevant form rejections, and hiding their per-word payments.