Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks O'Dandelo and Lillie! And Zanjan, I posted a pseudo-answer a few minutes back. I just don't want to give details yet, just in case the chickens don't hatch. Or the sheep for that matter.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my 4-day R from ASIM (and a 7 day from Ideomancer) both overnight... 2 Rs are no fun to wake up to!

Anyway, to all those worrying about 2-6 day ASIM subs, this is actually their normal response time for round 1 rejections. Don't feel slighted by this. The last couple of months they were running a bit behind, but it seems they're catching up now.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't want to give details yet, just in case the chickens don't hatch. Or the sheep for that matter.

Fair enough. I tend to be a little cagey about things until I have a contract in hand, myself. Which can be really, really hard when you want to go dancing across rooftops singing at the top of your voice.

Last edited:

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I got a 3 day R from ASIM a week or two ago. Really, I felt like hiding under a barrel. :scared: And the story wasn't written in crayon or anything like that. :Shrug: I've been afraid to submit it anyplace else.

Sorry for the Rs, everybody.

Sub it! No fear. as for crayon, many pubs encourage experimental works.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
R from Lightspeed as expected. Going back out in 3,2,1...

If I can make the internets work. durned solar splat.

GreenSquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fourgreensquares.wordpress.com
Is there room for one more in here?

This is the thread spurred me to abandon lurkdom, so I guess I should actually join in.

I've got three stories out on submission and the waiting is absolutely the hardest part. I'm glad I've found this place to make it a bit easier.

--GreenSquares

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi GreenSquares, and welcome. Yay!!! Another UK person!

Good luck with your writing, and I hope we'll see more of you in all the threads here.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Shock Totem. I sent it to them in part because they accept reprints, so time to see where else I can send this flash horror story (if anyone's interested in reading it, it was first published here).

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big Think contest results are up and I'm not in the top 3. I read the winning story... Good concept but the writing seems really sub-par. Or is it just me? Anyone else read it? www.bigthink.com

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Rejection from Shock Totem. I sent it to them in part because they accept reprints, so time to see where else I can send this flash horror story (if anyone's interested in reading it, it was first published here).
Got my R from ST, too. That's an interesting story, sort of reminds me of my "Death by Anything"--coming out next month. *coughshamelessplugcough*

Big Think contest results are up and I'm not in the top 3. I read the winning story... Good concept but the writing seems really sub-par. Or is it just me? Anyone else read it? www.bigthink.com
The voice is pretty passive; more idea than character. I would've preferred that 2nd-place story instead.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Is there room for one more in here?
Hey GreenSquare, welcome and good luck! And, as always, take comfort in our shared misery.

Today I got my Pedestal R! I can already see I have a lot of edits to make if I want it to shine pretty. (Edit: Sent it back out to Buzzy. On a side note, that they chose Alex's story shows they have good taste, but their t-shirt designs are, in my opinion, wince-inducing.)

As for Shock Totem, I sent them my first "bizarro" sub-genre fantasy piece. I didn't realize it was that when I was writing, but once I read a few interviews (in Shock Totem, I think) I realized it fit the bill. They opened the doc sometime last evening, so I should get an R any hour now.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, can anyone who's been subbing to Lightspeed since the new submission-system tell me if the "status" info is different now? Mine just says "in-progress". (And has said "in-progress" for four days now.)

I'm having anxiety flashes that I submitted the wrong file type or something. >_<

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
So, can anyone who's been subbing to Lightspeed since the new submission-system tell me if the "status" info is different now? Mine just says "in-progress". (And has said "in-progress" for four days now.)

I'm having anxiety flashes that I submitted the wrong file type or something. >_<

I have a feeling if you sent the wrong file type you would have heard something by now... so don't stress.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling if you sent the wrong file type you would have heard something by now... so don't stress.

Hah. I keep telling myself that.

I'm just antsy. I've never had a story make it to four days there before and I'm right in the middle of an obsessive email-checking fit. >_< And previously I would see when it went from "in-progress" to "under review/consideration". I'm a little freaked out that I can't watch every little step it's making now.

The kiddo needs a bath though, so maybe that will break me out of it. ;)

Aggy, yeah, a little obsessive today

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Hah. I keep telling myself that.

I'm just antsy. I've never had a story make it to four days there before and I'm right in the middle of an obsessive email-checking fit. >_< And previously I would see when it went from "in-progress" to "under review/consideration". I'm a little freaked out that I can't watch every little step it's making now.

The kiddo needs a bath though, so maybe that will break me out of it. ;)

Aggy, yeah, a little obsessive today

I am too. I have a story out at a pub which shall not be named due to my superstitious nature, famous for the 5 day R...and I have been under review for nearly 20 days now.

Refresh...Refresh...Refresh... i've lost my mind.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
So does "In Progress" mean they've assigned it to a reader, but "In Review/ Under Consideration" mean it's being read? I've never actually seen my subs go to the second part, so I always assumed "In Progress" meant it was being accessed and/or read. And does this apply to submishmash, or just the individual mags?

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
So does "In Progress" mean they've assigned it to a reader, but "In Review/ Under Consideration" mean it's being read? I've never actually seen my subs go to the second part, so I always assumed "In Progress" meant it was being accessed and/or read. And does this apply to submishmash, or just the individual mags?

So many are using their own systems. I can't really say with Lightspeed, because, snork!, I get rejected so fast I never see anything that would get me excited. The longest I've had anything there was 3 days, so 5 sounds pretty interesting.

wait, when I had the 3 day one, I remember I followed the queue number, it went under review, hovered there, then converted to R, iirc.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score

I don't know about every mag, but there's usually a difference between "in-progress" - which seems to mean it's been assigned to or is being screened by a slush-reader - and "under review/consideration" which is usually the next step up the reading chain.

EDF goes from "slush" to "in-progress" if something passes slush. Not sure about what happens after that.

It's not really a big deal. I'm just dithering.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Edit: Sent it back out to Buzzy. On a side note, that they chose Alex's story shows they have good taste, but their t-shirt designs are, in my opinion, wince-inducing.)

Thank you :)

FWIW their t-shirt fare is pretty consistent with what sells well at various gaming and pop-culture cons (Dragon Con, ComicCon, etc.) A buddy of mine owns a similar company and some his his best-sellers are real groaners. But, hey, supply and demand.

In other news, a form R arrived from IGMS today. There's some chance it was passed up (unless they all get signed with the editor-in-chief's name), but still a form. None of my 2012 submissions resulted in a sale yet, despite many instances of making it to the second round. Hope to break that streak sometime soon.

I've also been real lazy about resubmitting and have 5-6 stories that need to go back out. Will definitely have 100% of my original material out on submission by end of weekend.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you :)
Yeah, I finally had a chance to check out two of your published stories online and was very impressed!
FWIW their t-shirt fare is pretty consistent with what sells well at various gaming and pop-culture cons (Dragon Con, ComicCon, etc.) A buddy of mine owns a similar company and some his his best-sellers are real groaners. But, hey, supply and demand.
Yeah, as long as it sells. As for Buzzy's tee designs, I suppose I'm spoiled by the artists of Threadless and, to a lesser extent, shirt.woot and Tee Fury. :D

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
62 days R from EDF. Got a really nice email about my story, though. It actually got better reviews than I figured it would lol (It was a 131 word ditty that really only catered to Moms. It got pretty good marks). I'm glad to have it back. I didn't have much hope that it would be picked up.