Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know "the code" early on either, and threw away the slips from my early submissions. Now I wish I kept them, to see how far each story got.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
From Marzioli's post said:
"Didn't grab me" typically means the opening of the story didn't grab me.
"Didn't hold me" typically means that the story initially engaged my interest, but then it lost me somewhere in the middle of the story.
"Didn't work for me" usually means I finished the story but felt that it came up short of the mark.

This is interesting. I wonder if John Joseph Adams uses the same system. I've always gotten the 'didn't work for me' rejection from him.

BTW, the other day I realized that I've been rejected by John Joseph Adams fours different times through three different markets (I think I made the poor guy reject the same story twice :rolleyes)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I wonder if John Joseph Adams uses the same system.
I kind of doubt it. In my early days of utter short-story cluelessness, I sent some stinkers his way that "didn't quite work for him," a response I still get now. Of course I may still be utterly clueless, but either way would indicated it's a low tiered response.

As for Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag, I just realized Stephen Mazure hand initials all his responses. That's pretty classy, if you ask me. ... Unless he has an assistant do it, which is possible, still nice, but probably less classy.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I kind of doubt it. In my early days of utter short-story cluelessness, I sent some stinkers his way that "didn't quite work for him," a response I still get now. Of course I may still be utterly clueless, but either way would indicated it's a low tiered response.

As for Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag, I just realized Stephen Mazure hand initials all his responses. That's pretty classy, if you ask me. ... Unless he has an assistant do it, which is possible, still nice, but probably less classy.

He still uses it, presumably for his anthologies but at Lightspeed for sure. I may be wrong, but it believe JJA that started that tiered system when he was at F&SF and they kept using it when he left.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Stephen IS the assistant. He's the one who reads most of the slush (and Lisa Rogers occasionally reads some). What you *really* want is an R slip signed by GVG (well, what you really want is an acceptance. But, barring that...) :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After nine days of straight rejections I broke the streak! Nothing but crickets for me on Valentines Day.

I have two brand-new stories almost ready to go out and hit the top markets which reject quickly (Lightspeed, Clarkesworld) so the crickets won't reign for long.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
After nine days of straight rejections I broke the streak! Nothing but crickets for me on Valentines Day.

I have two brand-new stories almost ready to go out and hit the top markets which reject quickly (Lightspeed, Clarkesworld) so the crickets won't reign for long.

Then I must congratulate Michael on keeping his streak in the record books!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for breaking the streak!

Anyway, my first post in this thread :). I currently have one short out with One Buck Horror. It's been slightly over thirty days, but I'm not hoping for anything (yeah, right).

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Then I must congratulate Michael on keeping his streak in the record books!

Woo-hoo! ;)

I had a streak of my own going the last three days -- a cricket streak. With about 40 pieces out, getting no answers of any kind for even two days in a row is an oddity...

A rejection from Kazka Press's new short story contest came in this morning, ending that streak and, quite possibly, starting a new streak.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have 15 stories out, with 2 more ready to join in the fun this week. I've been trying to build up the inventory, but the darn things have been selling which, come to think of it, I *really* can't complain about :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a question about the Lightspeed Rs. I got one a month or so ago that I thought was a higher tier form. But comparing it to the higher tier R at Rejection Wiki there's an extra line in mine.

MINE:
Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I look forward to seeing your next submission; I hope you'll try me again with something else.

Rejection Wiki:
Thanks for submitting this story, but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I look forward to seeing your next submission.

Does this push it into "personal" rejection territory or do you think he's just modifying his higher tier response?

Aggy, back to crickets

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy: Its higher tier form, but still very nice given how tough a market LS is

ETA: Personally I don't consider anything to be a personal R unless it specifically references some aspect of the submitted story

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy: Its higher tier form, but still very nice given how tough a market LS is

ETA: Personally I don't consider anything to be a personal R unless it specifically references some aspect of the submitted story

That's what I figured (and that's usually my criteria too), but the previous higher tier R I got from them didn't have that last line "I hope you'll try me again with something else". So I was trying to figure out if that was a personal note or just the evolution of the response. (I've only tried four stories at Fantasy/Lightspeed. The first two got lower tier Rs, the last two got higher tier.)

It's just the crickets driving me nutty that's made me curious, I expect.

Aggy, a little nutty anyway ;)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Indeed. Always prefer the speedy 'no' verse the months of waiting (and hoping) for the inevitable.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my Shock Totem R late last night, too. AND, surprisingly, an email R from Electric Literature for a story they submishmash-rejected MONTHS ago. (New note: Actually, I just discovered they don't use submishmash, and that I had withdrawn the submission two months ago).

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So sent the story that was rejected by ST off to Shadows & Tall Trees -- also rejected, haha. But cool thing was that the editor remembered I had subbed to him before.

Going to try One Buck Horror then EDF (collecting my bundle of stories for submission) Bards and Sages.

Last edited: