Rejectomancy

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Crickets have been silenced. Rs from TNY, Fantastique Unfettered and One Buck Horror in the last few days. I can't feel too bad, though; just got some uni results back and I'm breezing the course, and my band's Facebook page finally went live :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
8-day R from Weird Tales--that was fast! Dunno if this is higher tier form or not, but they said the story was well written. I'll have to try them again when they reopen (hopefully soon).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
The cricket siege is over! Form rejection from The New Yorker, which is too bad but at the same time it feels like a minor milestone (it was my first time subbing to them).

8-day R from Weird Tales--that was fast! Dunno if this is higher tier form or not, but they said the story was well written. I'll have to try them again when they reopen (hopefully soon).

I've been meaning to sub something again to Weird Tales, but I couldn't find their pay rate on their website. Any idea what their rates are? Sorry about the R.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I've been meaning to sub something again to Weird Tales, but I couldn't find their pay rate on their website. Any idea what their rates are? Sorry about the R.
*looks* Here's their submission page, but no pay rate--maybe they forgot to include it, because I know once upon a time it was there. I assume they're still a pro-paying market since duotropes lists them as that.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Probably higher tier! I sent them a bizarro piece that's admittedly inaccessible and breaks most of the rules, and they didn't bother to comment on the prose. ;)

I think they should be tagged and released into the wild so they can be studied.
Careful what you say there, O'Dandelo. You're dangerously close to their ilk... :D

On a side note to no one in particular, did you notice Stupefying Stories now has an acceptance rate of 17%?!? That's pretty high. I'll be interested to see what the readers think of these newer issues. The previous ones were highly praised, on Amazon at least.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a side note to no one in particular, did you notice Stupefying Stories now has an acceptance rate of 17%?!? That's pretty high. I'll be interested to see what the readers think of these newer issues. The previous ones were highly praised, on Amazon at least.

I have a story in the next issue, so they better praise it. <shakes fist, says in Homer Simpson voice:> praaaise it...

:)

I thought Weird Tales is paying 3c/word now, but I can;'t for the life of me find where I saw that, so I could be wrong.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Well I asked about the pay rate in response to their acceptance, yet to receive a reply, as they'll send me the contract when preparing the issue in question.

(of course now I'm sure they felt offended by such ground hugging triviality and reconsidered...)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Weird Tales is paying 3c/word now, but I can;'t for the life of me find where I saw that, so I could be wrong.

About a week ago Weird Tales' submission page listed 5c/word. It was very recent, I know that. Could be they're lowering it, which would be...um, weird for a "venerable" publication.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story in the next issue, so they better praise it. <shakes fist, says in Homer Simpson voice:> praaaise it...
Oh, nice! I was wondering how long they took to go to press. I read in their announcement that they had the recent issue finished, and two more filled out. I wonder how many of us will be in the same issue... Either way, I plan to support your guy's work as much as my meager budget will allow. I have Kindle PC now, but some day I may go all out for the Kindle.

(of course now I'm sure they felt offended by such ground hugging triviality and reconsidered...)
I realize you're kidding, but I just wanted to mention that the way they handled an antagonistic poster to their suspension of submissions was very professional. And, professionally speaking, your question is very appropriate. They're probably just busy. It really sounds like the new editorial staff inherited a cluster eff when they decided to continue with Weird Tales.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Sadly, I'm not kidding... My mind is a bit paranoid about positive things. (They might not survive to make the issue, They mistook my story with somebody else's, They're going to read this post and explode in fury, etc.)
But thanks, what you said about professionalism helped my poor nerves.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, nice! I was wondering how long they took to go to press. I read in their announcement that they had the recent issue finished, and two more filled out. I wonder how many of us will be in the same issue...

They sent out payment and announced the TOC for the upcoming issue on their Facebook page already. However, I do have another story accepted there, so we may turn out to be TOC mates yet :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bet it was worth more in Lovecraft's day, though. :D

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I found a bunch of stuff on Google from last year saying Weird Tales was raising their rate to 5 cents/word. Perhaps they never went through with it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Emailed duo about it since for the longest time they've had WT listed as pro-paying. ...Also need to email about WP.

Yes, please contact them re: WP. I e-mailed them about it already and they said they'll look into it, but I figure it can't hurt to have more people report these situations.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Personal R from Bete Noire

"Even though we enjoyed it, there was too much telling and not enough showing."

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
They sent out payment and announced the TOC for the upcoming issue on their Facebook page already. However, I do have another story accepted there, so we may turn out to be TOC mates yet :)
That'd be awesome, especially if we could get a handful of AW boardies in the same issue! My only stipulation is that you guys and girls not show me up too badly...

And O'Dandelo, I could swear I saw the same thing at precisely the time you mentioned--a week ago. Curiouser and curioser.

Edit: I looked it up, and they did raise it to five cents on Jan 2011. I'll bet when they changed editors these past few months they silently altered their payrate. Still, three cents is nothing to sneeze at, what with there being no cap. That's the highest semi-pro rate out there, I think.

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Poo.

Shock Totem and Ideomancer. Together. :(