Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
There was a 7-day R today, so chances are somebody already likes it. Although their overall response times have been quite a bit longer as of late.
Let's hope so. I'm champing the bit about several submissions right now, and that includes Shimmer. Even my sub zen mastery has its limits.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Let's hope so. I'm champing the bit about several submissions right now, and that includes Shimmer. Even my sub zen mastery has its limits.

I'm with you there. My Shimmer's only at 9 days, my OBH at 10 days, but my 34-day Buzzy cricket has actually crawled into my ear.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Sorry about those Rs, my friends. My Shimmer sub is currently at 15 days, and I have two 28 days out at Ideomancer and Buzzy. The others are babies compared. Got a 4 day at Abomination and a 7 day at Drabblecast, which was passed up for final review, but after hearing from Alex, I think I'm in for a long wait at DC.

Get those suckers back out into the world, y'all! :guns:

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Man, Sword and Sorceress have a fast revolving door. But mine is even faster. It's already resubbed.

Ali

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Finally some news!! Two form r's today from Shock Totem and Pank. Woo hoo!

Also didn't make the shortlist for telegraph short story comp again, although I'm not reporting this as a rejection as I have absolutely no faith they are even reading the stories they are sent. Is anyone else doing this comp? My feeling is they are skim reading at best, and they certainly aren't sending out R's. Deadline and announcement are only 4 days apart each month. And this is from 300 subs... I'm not buying it.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to give a new pub a try, and went with Jukebox Serials on the third. Just received a message about 10 minutes ago saying that they are "accepting an author a week" and "the latest time of response is late August."

Well...I guess I'm in for the long haul. Because of their submissions system, there's no way to withdraw.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can always withdraw by emailing the publication at the submissions address.

I looked at their guidelines and thought it was a pretty bad deal, regardless of response time.

ajoker

backstab x 2!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from SH today as well, 8 days after submitting it.

Something I've been curious about: Is it part of the Clarkesworld form rejection to say "hope you'll keep us in mind in the future"? I always try to convince myself it means they really want more, but I'm pretty sure it's part of the standard dismissal.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
You can always withdraw by emailing the publication at the submissions address.

I looked at their guidelines and thought it was a pretty bad deal, regardless of response time.

Upon sobering up (metaphorically), I did as well. I suppose I saw the .02 per word and ran with it.

I'll write out a withdraw now. Thanks, Alex.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
R from Missouri Review--but at least they had some nice things to say about my prose.
I sent them a 2011 W1S1 that TNY mentioned had 'evident merit' in its R, so I'm optimistic about this story's salability again.

JWGriebel

Decrepit
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just got this personalized from Flash Fiction Online this morning. I find them adding some of the input from the editors, both positive and negative, very helpful:

Dear Jesse,

Thank you for considering Flash Fiction Online for your story, "A Lesson in Extinction ."

As much as we wish we could, we can't publish every good story that comes our way. Truthfully, we're forced to return a great many stories with merits that make them well worthy of publication, including yours.

Your story reached the final stage of our selection process--one among an elite group.

During this final stage, our editorial team discusses the stories that make it this far. If you'll indulge me, I'd like to share some representative samples of what our editors had to say about yours:

*"Couldn't accept the premise of the story, that a grown man would believe and fret over the angel wing idea. If that's supposed to be a metaphor for larger ideas, then it fails for me."
*"I think this story was pretty charming. We all have beliefs and superstitions that we cling to, irrational or not."
*"I liked it, though the metaphor is a bit overdone. I suppose I didn't really see it as speculative so much as... not a hallucination, but... well, maybe it is supposed to be speculative."
*"I have to ask, what's with the stories of dismal, depressing parenthood? I just want to tell people to enjoy their kids more!"
*"I really wanted to not like this, but I did. Not enough to accept, though. It's a little overwrought."
*"The writing is quite nice and I like the pro-father sentiment. But, again, the plot is a little thin and it just feels a bit repetitive."

We wish you the best of luck finding a home for your story elsewhere, feel confident of your success in doing so, and hope to receive submissions from you in the future.

May the muse be ever by your side.

Sincerely,

---------------
Editor-in-Chief
Flash Fiction Online

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from SH today as well, 8 days after submitting it.

Something I've been curious about: Is it part of the Clarkesworld form rejection to say "hope you'll keep us in mind in the future"? I always try to convince myself it means they really want more, but I'm pretty sure it's part of the standard dismissal.

Yes, that's part of their standard form. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Another bout of the crickets around here. Only one response in the past five days. Should be getting all kinds of responses before too long, though.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
11-day R from Shimmer. I'd call it personal but it's the closest thing to a form they've given me.
Did they actually comment on the story? 'Cause I'm wondering if all those personals being reported are really forms; it seems odd that one batch would receive form R's but all the rest are personals? Doesn't make sense.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Did they actually comment on the story? 'Cause I'm wondering if all those personals being reported are really forms; it seems odd that one batch would receive form R's but all the rest are personals? Doesn't make sense.

Yes, they made specific comments regarding the story and what "didn't work," but in a vaguer way than usual. It was pretty cut and dry compared to my two previous responses from them.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had forms off Shimmer, and some where I wasn't sure.
I've also had a few personals, and been pushed up to second round a couple of times.

All just different types of R.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
23 day form R from Strange Horizons, from a first reader (so it didn't get past the slush). However, it didn't have the "wait two weeks to submit language."

I'm now wondering if they caught up on subs and no longer need to do that, or if that's a tier of sorts in itself.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Another bout of the crickets around here. Only one response in the past five days. Should be getting all kinds of responses before too long, though.

Same here--expecting a response any day now from Shimmer, Narrative, Shock Totem, Cincinnati Review and Apex--hopefully not all Rs on the same day! :eek:

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Same here--expecting a response any day now from Shimmer, Narrative, Shock Totem, Cincinnati Review and Apex--hopefully not all Rs on the same day! :eek:

That's quite a list!

I got a 25-day form R from EQMM today. This one, though, unlike most of the form Rs I've gotten from them in the past was signed by the head editor. So, they've either changed their form or this one made it past a first reader.