Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my insight into Buzzy, for whatever it's worth:

My first submission to them was a very light, very adventure-oriented urban fantasy story, which they bought.

My second submission to them was a sequel to the above-mentioned story, with the same main character, which (I think) is better than the first story. I got a form rejection for that one.

A few weeks afterward, I got to meet the two owners/editors of Buzzy Magazine in person at a local convention. They were a pleasure to talk to, and they mentioned that they brought on an editor who, in their words "is much tougher than we are."

So the stories you're seeing being published now were originally accepted by Joy and June, who are no longer directly involved in the selection process. I *think* the new editor is Laura Ann Gilman, but I've never interacted with her directly or know her preferences. The one R I got from her was signed Buzzy Staff.

One final data point: My third and current submission is a humor fantasy story (think Robert Aspin) and it's at 33 days, so it may have at least survived the first round of consideration (as they sent out dozens of Rs today) so I hope that the estimation about them enjoying light fluffy stories is a good one because there aren't as many great markets for those, and I love writing/reading them personally.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a form rejection from Fantastic Stories today and was wondering if anyone else got their response from them as well. It sounds like a higher-tier form (the much-potential bit), but you never know, so I'd like to compare notes. This is what I got:

--
Thank you for your recent submission to Fantastic Frontiers Magazine.
While we appreciate your submission, at this time we are unable to find a
place for it in our magazine.

We think that you have much potential, and we hope that you submit to our
magazine in the future.

Our August/September deadline for fiction submissions is June 15, 2012.
---

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I got a form rejection from Fantastic Stories today and was wondering if anyone else got their response from them as well. It sounds like a higher-tier form (the much-potential bit), but you never know, so I'd like to compare notes.
Rejection twins! I got the same form. However we're both fine writers, so perhaps we both got the higher tier? I must say, if this is sent out to EVERY submission it's unfair to those who sincerely need to hone their craft. When we were beginners we all needed a good boot in the backside to let us know there was room for growth, otherwise we would have remained in blissful ignorance.

Last edited:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, my story is flash too :). It's a strange little story (it's sci-fi), but I'm hoping it's weirdness sets it apart in a good way.

Maybe, but I'm not expecting to hear any results for maybe another month. It seems like the results for Q1 are still being decided, and there's been a lot of upheaval with the contest (mainly the fact that K.D. Wentworth, the contest's previous first reader, recently passed away).

Based upon the recent knowledge imparted upon me, I'm not expecting a reply for a few months. I talked to someone on this board recently, and they'd already gotten a letter regarding the contest saying (in a paraphrase) that they'd get an honorable mention.

Does my purple prose hurt you? If so, I'll try not to make it a nasty habit. :D

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
R from Buzzy, Shock Totem, and Shenandoah today.

Still waiting on Cincinnati Review (106 days) and Shimmer (14 days).
And considering their recent RT, one might come in from Glimmer Train any day/minute/hour now too. :eek:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I hope that the estimation about them enjoying light fluffy stories is a good one because there aren't as many great markets for those, and I love writing/reading them personally.

It's certainly a market niche which doesn't seem to be well-filled at the moment.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
My horror story is still out at Buzzy at 34 days. I also am somewhat surprised that they only have one horror story listed on the site, so when it comes to their horror market, I took a wild stab in the dark with the story I sent them. It's hard horror. As of now though, it's crickets from them.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
My horror story is still out at Buzzy at 34 days. I also am somewhat surprised that they only have one horror story listed on the site, so when it comes to their horror market, I took a wild stab in the dark with the story I sent them. It's hard horror. As of now though, it's crickets from them.

Good luck with your hard horror. Mine was more sad, dark literary. Let's hope yours has some action to propel it into an acceptance.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
R from Sword & Sorceress. Looks like a form, but a very nice one.

Thank you for sending us "Damsel." This is a perfectly good story, but it doesn't quite have the feel I want for Sword & Sorceress. Try this on another market.

So. That's that. Onward and upward. ;)

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
4-day R from Shimmer.
Seems weird that it'd be personal after such a short time, is this just another one of those markets that gives generic "advice" in their form?

Dear Taylor,

Thank you for your submission, "House Call," but I'm afraid we're going to pass.

The core of the story had some potential, but I felt like the narrative began a little earlier in the work than it should have.

Good luck with your continued writing.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
4-day R from Shimmer.
Seems weird that it'd be personal after such a short time, is this just another one of those markets that gives generic "advice" in their form?

No, Shimmer does not give generic advice.

If you want to be really impressed, check out a rejection from The Colored Lens sometime. Often sub-24 hours and with multiple sentences of commentary.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
19-day R at DSF with "P.S. An almost" at the bottom. This was a 4400ish word story, and I know they're pickier the longer it gets. Hoping this bodes well for the story's future, though--I really like this one and would love to see it placed somewhere.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
19-day R at DSF with "P.S. An almost" at the bottom. This was a 4400ish word story, and I know they're pickier the longer it gets. Hoping this bodes well for the story's future, though--I really like this one and would love to see it placed somewhere.

That's good! (And makes me even more happy about my 900 word story that's 18 days old.)

If you haven't already, you should probably give Lightspeed a try.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
And 21-day Shimmer R. They "really liked" the concept, but it didn't have the emotional depth they were looking for. Not a bad rejection, overall.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling incredibly defeated today.
I just posted about my 21-day R from them above too. Just remember that editors are a fickle lot. We can have an amazing professional quality story, but it's only that mysterious, perhaps undefinable, subjective nudge that really fishes out their wallets. None of my (admittedly meager number of) sales have been first-market subs; all were proceeded by a healthy fistful of ambivalent R's.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
I just posted about my 21-day R from them above too. Just remember that editors are a fickle lot. We can have an amazing professional quality story, but it's only that mysterious subjective nudge that really fishes out their wallets. None of my (admittedly meager number of) sales have been first-market subs; all were proceeded by a healthy fistful of ambivalent R's.

I hear you, and normally, I have an incredibly thick skin, but I had SUCH hope for that little story.

I should know better. I had a story published last month that took a year to find the right market, but...

It must be the rain. And maybe also that third glass of wine...

I wish you luck finding another place to put your story!!

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Upon checking my duotrope, I noticed that my DSF story has actually been in submission for 19 days. Crickets, crickets. I hope they last!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
And there's my 21 day Shimmer R. Was wondering about this one. It was personal, but I don't really know how to take it.

:Hug2: Sometimes they hit that way. Hoping your story finds its right home for you soon.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
And there's my 21 day Shimmer R. Was wondering about this one. It was personal, but I don't really know how to take it.

At least you didn't get form letter, so you know they actually read it. You'll find a home for the story. ;)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Upon checking my duotrope, I noticed that my DSF story has actually been in submission for 19 days. Crickets, crickets. I hope they last!

You will hear from them one way or another in the next day or two. They're VERY consistent that way. Hopefully it's the round 2 bump e-mail. Then you're in for a few more weeks of waiting.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to find my second higher-tier R from Lightspeed in a row. Up until this month I've only had basic R forms from them, and now two "nicely written" forms in a row. Moving in the right direction?