AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 366 of 367 FirstFirst ... 116266291316341356360361362363364365366367 LastLast
Results 9,126 to 9,150 of 9159

Thread: Rejectomancy

practical experience, FTW Sara K.'s Avatar
    26-day form R from Apex. The more time I spend with this story, the more I'm unsure about it. Anyway, I have another market to try regardless.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara K. View Post
    26-day form R from Apex. The more time I spend with this story, the more I'm unsure about it. Anyway, I have another market to try regardless.
    Me too, me too. Ugh, still no good news with any of my submissions. I am sort of starting to hate them all and morale is low for writing new ones! A temporary dip, I hope.

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Hang in there, Phyllis. It took me many months to make a sale. Just keep reading what they publish, so you get a feel for the markets and sub to the best fits for a story. Then keep writing, and keep subbing.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    Hang in there, Phyllis. It took me many months to make a sale. Just keep reading what they publish, so you get a feel for the markets and sub to the best fits for a story. Then keep writing, and keep subbing.
    Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I've been reading less in the past week or two. I think I'll take a bit of time this afternoon to read a story in each of my target markets. That usually fires me up and inspires me!

Hey does anyone have experience submitting to LitMag? My submission there is older than recent rejections on Grinder..though I know not to get my hopes up because of such things...

Most Unbecoming of an AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Welcome fairphyllis!

Sorry I haven't been around much, folks. Distracted by life things. I've added a few more Rs to my tally, but I've been trying new things so it's not unexpected.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    Number Thirty-Nine Skink, short story, Asimov's, Mar/Apr 2017
    Pinned, poem, Asimov's, May/Jun 2017
    Books of the Risen Sea, novelette, Asimov's, Sep/Oct 2017
    The Secret Life of Bots, novelette, Clarkesworld no.132, Sept 2017
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.

"Nolite te bastardes covfefendum" -- Anon.

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    And a 3 day R from Clarkesworld for the bio-punk.
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

I've collected a few of the long-sitting Rs of late. I knew they were going to take ages when I subbed them, but now I have to think about the stories again.

Really need to sit down at some point and actually get the stories out there again.
    Lightning Dance (Diabolical Plots October 2017)

www.tamlyndreaver.com

Murder! You want fries with that? pdichellis's Avatar
    My May mini-rejecta-lanche:

1-2. Form dumps from a crime magazine and a horror antho. Both stories went back out as a multi sub to a crime-horror market.

3. Personal veto from an online crime zine. Note was: Loved the dialogue, barfed at the ending. Ironically, for the story's next market I think I need to change the dialogue (remove some f-bombs) and keep the ending (because I like it.) But I need to think it over for another day because I respect what the editor noted.
    Last edited by pdichellis; 05-17-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: word choice
    Recent story: “The Mysterious Meatball Autopsy” – A humorous You-Solve-It whodunit. Follow the clues! In Mystery Weekly Magazine (November 2017).

For more, visit my site Murder and Fries or my Amazon author page. Or check my AW Library listings in the Mystery, Short Fiction, and Humor sections.

practical experience, FTW CharlyT's Avatar
    I'm not sure what's happening in the markets lately, but the response times from markets seem to be dragging on hellishly long (for me and my nerves). I got a 99 day form R from Issues of Earth Science today - and it's not even my oldest sub. I've got many hovering around the 70ish day mark and I'm crossing my fingers *hard* that they don't all come in on the same day.
    New goal in March 2015, 1 short per month - 17 of 25 complete, 9 published
    Novel - Inventory - 1st edit in progress
    Novel - Malleta's Song #1 - prewriting / research in progress

www.charlottehlee.com

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyT View Post
    I'm not sure what's happening in the markets lately, but the response times from markets seem to be dragging on hellishly long (for me and my nerves). I got a 99 day form R from Issues of Earth Science today - and it's not even my oldest sub. I've got many hovering around the 70ish day mark and I'm crossing my fingers *hard* that they don't all come in on the same day.
    I am having the exact same experience. I haven't heard anything from my markets for ages. My newest submission is 15 days old, and my oldest is 99. A couple of the markets show up on Grinder rejecting more recent pieces than mine, but mine are not the oldest pendings. Makes me want to finish a story just for the quick in and out of a Clarkesworld submission. Haven't done one of those for a while.

practical experience, FTW Sara K.'s Avatar
    My 18-day form rolled in from DSF. Not sure if I'll take that sub any further.

Other than that, waiting on crickets mostly.

I sent a story to Interzone on 31 May 2016 - yes, almost a year ago. I chased it up on Thursday evening by email and had an apologetic reply on Friday morning. He read it and enjoyed it but didn't think it was right for IZ (doesn't surprise me - that's usually the case with something that's not accepted or rejected within a month or so).but for whatever reason the rejection email didn't get sent.

Oh well. I do have other places I can send this to, even for a story that's 13,000 words long.
    "The afterlife is like Aldershot." (from Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel)

Out Stack and Other Places, collection out now from Midnight Street Press

Works in progress:

Conor and Me (YA) (redraft) - 12,376 words and counting

figuring it all out William Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
    I sent a story to Interzone on 31 May 2016 - yes, almost a year ago. I chased it up on Thursday evening by email and had an apologetic reply on Friday morning. He read it and enjoyed it but didn't think it was right for IZ (doesn't surprise me - that's usually the case with something that's not accepted or rejected within a month or so).but for whatever reason the rejection email didn't get sent.

Oh well. I do have other places I can send this to, even for a story that's 13,000 words long.
    I've had a few submissions get similarly forgotten like that. It's an awful feeling when you go from thinking, "Wow, I haven't heard back yet, they must really be considering it", to several months later thinking, "Shit, I still haven't heard back yet, something must have gotten lost."

I feel like missing submissions happens more often than we'd like to think. It seems most of us have a story (or two, or three!) of this happening. As a result, I no longer have any hesitation to query a place if I think something is wrong. They say they reply within four months, but six have passed? I'll send a quick email saying, "Hi, I sent such and such piece on such and such date. Is it still under consideration, or did I unfortunately miss your reply?"

Murder! You want fries with that? pdichellis's Avatar
    Just got multi-forms for multi-subs, multi-times: a two-fer from a mystery antho and a two-fer from Spinetingler Mag. Two two-fers. Ouch!
    Recent story: “The Mysterious Meatball Autopsy” – A humorous You-Solve-It whodunit. Follow the clues! In Mystery Weekly Magazine (November 2017).

For more, visit my site Murder and Fries or my Amazon author page. Or check my AW Library listings in the Mystery, Short Fiction, and Humor sections.

just a literary gearhead shortstorymachinist's Avatar
    Ugh. Remind me to stop checking the Grinder so often. I had a piece at Uncanny approaching their 45-day-please-query mark, so I checked Twitter to see if they had said anything, and they tweeted that all pending pieces were with the editors-in-chief (I interpreted this as a bump?) and I got all hopeful only to receive a form R from one of the other editors five days later. *sigh* I'd much rather just forget a sub is out until the R pops up in my inbox.
    I am no maestro.

Remember as well that pretty much everybody in SFF publishing will be heading off to Helsinki for Worldcon in the next few weeks, so that'll slow things down as well.
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.

The restaurant at the end of the multiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstorymachinist View Post
    Ugh. Remind me to stop checking the Grinder so often.
    I'll remind you in a second. I'm just gonna check the Grinder first...

Quote Originally Posted by shortstorymachinist View Post
    I had a piece at Uncanny approaching their 45-day-please-query mark, so I checked Twitter to see if they had said anything, and they tweeted that all pending pieces were with the editors-in-chief (I interpreted this as a bump?) and I got all hopeful only to receive a form R from one of the other editors five days later. *sigh* I'd much rather just forget a sub is out until the R pops up in my inbox.
    Ugh.Also, quit checking the Grinder, SSM. *checks Grinder*
    NEW! Playing for Keeps - Come and rate my Quantum Shorts flash-fiction entry!

--
    Website
    Twitter

It's really not healthy to check the Grinder so often, yanno.

(obscures other browser tab from people in thread, points in opposite direction, shouts "LOOK a squirrel!")

Ummm, just one more chapter...
    Ummm...what's a Grinder?

Market engine & submission tracker, including average response-times.

Very handy for managing one's subs, and using up all one's writing time checking to see if the little graphs have changed.

The restaurant at the end of the multiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    "LOOK a squirrel!"
    SQUIRREL! Hey, why did you just hit REFRESH? *is suspicious*

Quote Originally Posted by RLGreenleaf View Post
    Ummm...what's a Grinder?
    The Submission Grinder is a website where sadomasochistic writers go to be tortured writers' submission-tracking website.

ETA: cross-posted with Zanz!
    Last edited by PastyAlien; 07-26-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    NEW! Playing for Keeps - Come and rate my Quantum Shorts flash-fiction entry!

--
    Website
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PastyAlien View Post
    I'll remind you in a second. I'm just gonna check the Grinder first...

Ugh.Also, quit checking the Grinder, SSM. *checks Grinder*
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    It's really not healthy to check the Grinder so often, yanno.

(obscures other browser tab from people in thread, points in opposite direction, shouts "LOOK a squirrel!")
    What's it they say about kicking an addiction? Not being friends with other addicts, or something?
    I am no maestro.

Urk. I have a piece still at Uncanny. *checks inbox* still there for now anyway.

I refresh the Grinder about 98 millions times per day.

Quote Originally Posted by mistri View Post
    Urk. I have a piece still at Uncanny. *checks inbox* still there for now anyway.

I refresh the Grinder about 98 millions times per day.
    *crosses fingers frantically* You have my full support.
    I am no maestro.

Page 366 of 367 FirstFirst ... 116266291316341356360361362363364365366367 LastLast