Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of that Middling news, 5-day Shimmer R. A rave response to my writing--which was nice--but ultimately they didn't buy a major aspect of the plot.

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Received a response to my query from FFO. turns out I had been rejected awhile ago but there had been a submitable snafu. It was nice in that at least my story made it to the second round and I got some good feedback on it. I'm planning to mail it to Fantasy & Science Fiction next.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
turns out I had been rejected awhile ago but there had been a submitable snafu.
Oh no, condolences!

The fact that even Submitable can error doesn't do much for my peace of mind.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations everyone, especially Sai re the snafu. Good luck with the re-subs. Some of those R's sound promising anyway (Sai, kd, Marzioli).

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Adding my crickets to the chorus. Just sent out my first sub in 3 years. Appropriately, it's an older flash piece that I just never did anything with. Now I get to wait for my first rejection. :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adding my crickets to the chorus. Just sent out my first sub in 3 years. Appropriately, it's an older flash piece that I just never did anything with. Now I get to wait for my first rejection. :D

Good luck with your first new submission!

I do hope you looked at the story/revised before sending it out. When I look at anything of mine that's 1+ years old, I go "yeesh" and revise it a bunch, because I can write better today than I could a year ago. I suspect I'll be doing the same thing to my current stories in 2014.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Yay, go you, and good luck with the sub! Even if you get rejected, it's a huge step forward. And hey, maybe it won't be an R after all :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I got a 4-day Electric Velocipede form R. It reads surprisingly like I got rejected from Clarkesworld. :D

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
@Alex: I most certainly did revise it first. :) Story's under 150 words so it didn't really take long to do.

@zan: Thanks. :) I've actually sent out stories before (only 2, but still), I just haven't received any rejections yet.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Apex 10 day form R.

17-day personal R from Waylines. Some nice comments, but ultimately a fail.

Update: 3-day personal R from Conjuring. Must not have hated it, though, because they recommended I try it at their sister publication Nightfall.

Last edited:

girldetective

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mckinleyvalentine.wordpress.com
Distressing one day rejection from ASIM :(

A form rejection with no feed back which is VERY unlike them - they usually have quite detailed feedback from both slush readers that rejected it.

I'm honestly confused -- obviously you don't know whether I'm a decent writer or not, but it's certainly perfectly formatted and error-free (I'm an editor) and this particular piece got a really encouraging personal rejection from IGMS, a higher-tier market.

*whimper*

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
3-day personal R from Conjuring. Must not have hated it, though, because they recommended I try it at their sister publication Nightfall.

Sorry about the R's, but that last sounds very encouraging.

girldetective - try not to take it to heart. It's actually only one person who reads slush initially (then two on the second round, then the editor at the third round). The first and second round readers often give comments but not always. Sorry for the R, though - better luck with the next market.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
10 day R from Phantom Drift. Is "there's a lot to admire here" part of their form, or more a personal?

Had some positive feedback on this, so will find a home, I'm certain.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Distressing one day rejection from ASIM :(

A form rejection with no feed back which is VERY unlike them - they usually have quite detailed feedback from both slush readers that rejected it.

I'm honestly confused -- obviously you don't know whether I'm a decent writer or not, but it's certainly perfectly formatted and error-free (I'm an editor) and this particular piece got a really encouraging personal rejection from IGMS, a higher-tier market.

*whimper*

Yeah, I got one of those lightning fast Rs from ASIM a few months back, and I was REALLY upset, but the piece sold to the very next market I sent it to, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Maybe the reader was just having a bad day. Sorry for the R, though.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
61-day form R from 3&5. Whew! I was beginning to worry they'd thrown in the towel without notifying anyone. It looks like they updated their site today, as well.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Today a sold story of mine was laid to final rest as a potential audio story. The last viable market, Drabblecast, shut it down with a 4-day form R. Looks like if I want this audio-ed up, I'll have to do it myself. Which I won't!

Last edited:

girldetective

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mckinleyvalentine.wordpress.com
Yeah, I got one of those lightning fast Rs from ASIM a few months back, and I was REALLY upset, but the piece sold to the very next market I sent it to, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Maybe the reader was just having a bad day. Sorry for the R, though.

Thanks, that's comforting! Not that I expect the same results, but that it's not necessarily meaningful

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Rejection number 30. Not a number a feel like celebrating. 17 query-only still pending a reply and 24 other queries either with a partial or a requested partial. Hopefully one of those 41 will reply with something positive.

For now, beer me!!!!!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
4-pronged rejectolanche last eventide! And my football team got knocked out the semi-finals of major cup competition by a team four divisions below us... To quote the great man: "Wtf did I do?!"