Will E-Books Lead to Longer Novels?

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
I suspect that short stories and novellas might do well with e-readers. As individual units these shorter pieces are not too common in print, but I see a lot of them for sale on e-publishing sites like Smashwords. Some e-publications have less than 100 words and are still priced at 99 cents.

What's cooking at the Blue Fox Cafe?

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I should have said I think both longer *and* shorter works will become more available. I know several people that write short stories but basically do it 'for fun' because it's hard to get them published. I'm sure there are many authors in the same position. Now they can published their stories themselves.

With ebooks, authors are no longer constrained by artificial word-count limits based on what size books publishers felt they could make the most money on. Why can't a historical novel be 60,000 words long? Or a romance be 150,000 words long?

I'm sure we've all read posts here at AW from authors who've written a book that ended up being outside the recommended guidelines for their genre. But why are we (authors) letting publishers decide what is 'too long' or 'too short'? The story itself should determine the length. Some stories are meant to be 10,000 words long (or 100,000 or whatever). Deliberately padding or cutting stories just to fit arbitrarily defined limits is silly, yet many of us here have fallen into that trap.

(Of course, this is all based on the assumption that the story is 'good'. I've read many books that felt 'bloated' to me and I've also read many books that I wished had been longer.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think you are conflating ebook format with self-publishing and each has it's own set of interested factors that interact.

If the author is looking at being a professional ebook writer the short lengths are the currently best approach in most cases.

If they wrote a book and can't get it print published, epublishing is possible, but is it ideal--will they write more and make good money? I would suggest that they usually won't (with exceptions).

The ebook market is currently very different from the print book market (although they are converging) and has its own strong genres, length, price and vendor preferences.

What is possible is not necessarily what is profitable.

Last edited:

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
However, most books can stand to lose 20-30% of their volume. Not just to slim them down, but also to tighten the novel - verbosity is a malady that affects many writers and if writers don't force themselves to slim down their epic tomes, there is a big chance that bloated self-published books become the norm...

True that.

I'm inclined to say that consumers are ultimately at fault. Some people tend to buy books by the pound. Electronic publishing might exacerbate the trend. I personally don't see a renaissance in short stories and novellas.

Last edited:

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
I'm inclined to say that consumers are ultimately at fault.

How can they be at fault if publishers don't give them the option of buying shorter books?

With a few books I've read in the last few years I've felt that you could cut 20-30% out without really losing anything. I'd rather read an entertaining 50,000 word novel than a stodgy 100,000 word version of the same story.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
From a business point of view the consumer cannot be at fault. It's their money, the onus of getting it out of their hands and into ours rests with us.

Deleted member 42

The ebook market is currently very different from the print book market (although they are converging) and has its own strong genres, length, price and vendor preferences.

What is possible is not necessarily what is profitable.

QFT

These are important distinctions.

And yes, digital publishers are specifically interested in the novella and shorter markets--in part because more people are reading on phones and ereaders while commuting, and in part, because they're looking at the use of ereaders and phones in Europe and Japan, where consumers exhibited strong interest in mobile devices and reading.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I think it will be a mixed bag. I have a door-stopper, that if I ever finish it will go straight to Kindle. The books that previously had to have special binding or be split into multiple books, like the last book in Peter Watt's Rifters trilogy (which is 4 books long) could be offered complete on Kindle. It's also easy because Kindle keeps your place in these long books.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
If the author is looking at being a professional ebook writer the short lengths are the currently best approach in most cases.

Why do you think shorter lengths are currently the best approach in most cases?

If they wrote a book and can't get it print published, epublishing is possible, but is it ideal--will they write more and make good money? I would suggest that they usually won't (with exceptions).

I find it interesting that you assume only those people who can't get their book print published would be interested in epublishing.

But I do agree that - in 'most' cases - a self-published author will not go on to 'fame and fortune'. Of course that's true for authors traditionally published too.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Why do you think shorter lengths are currently the best approach in most cases?

Because in the genres I am familiar with (romance, erotica) if you divide the cover price by the number of words in the book, novella pays most per word.

I find it interesting that you assume only those people who can't get their book print published would be interested in epublishing.

I find it interesting that you read me as having assumed that. I was kind of implying the very opposite. That doing that would perhaps not always be a great idea if you are hoping to maximize profit per word/hour/unit of effort.

But I do agree that - in 'most' cases - a self-published author will not go on to 'fame and fortune'. Of course that's true for authors traditionally published too.

I find it interesting that you assume all epublishing authors are self-published.

SJp

Currently buried in schoolwork.
Registered
Reaction score
My question never implied a distinction between traditional publication or self-pub. I'm curious what impact e-books will have on the publishing industry as a whole.

Will readers gravitate toward novellas and short stories?

Will word count still matter? Are we focused on maximizing our earning potential per word?

Last edited:

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score

Not necessarily ... but I think those 2 forms will have a revival. Both are hard to sell in a print publishing world.

Readers now at least get a novella and/or short story offered to read, where as before it was mostly longer novels. Time will tell what sells more.

I am currently reading "A Game of Thrones" on my mobile, and I have read numerous books on that device as well. I wouldn't do that on a desktop screen, but I can't say that reading on my smartphone is particularly straining on the eyes.

I haven't tried a kindle yet, though ...

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Because in the genres I am familiar with (romance, erotica) if you divide the cover price by the number of words in the book, novella pays most per word.

I find it interesting that you read me as having assumed that. I was kind of implying the very opposite. That doing that would perhaps not always be a great idea if you are hoping to maximize profit per word/hour/unit of effort.

I find it interesting that you assume all epublishing authors are self-published.

I'm finding that a lot of people assume this, including writers

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My question never implied a distinction between traditional publication or self-pub. I'm curious what impact e-books will have on the publishing industry as a whole.

Will word count still matter? Are we focused on maximizing our earning potential per word?

I have no idea why, but people's attention spans seem to be shrinking. I think it's why trilogy's are popular. In the proposal that I sent asking my publisher if I can make my book a 3 book deal I said, "People want the story to end but they don't want it to be over" and she agreed. I think Medi hit on it.

in part because more people are reading on phones and ereaders while commuting,

I hear a lot of people say this

SJp

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think serialized short stories (e.g. penny dreadfuls) will become popular on e-books?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There have been quite a few attempts to revive serials in ebook form over the last 10 years or so. As of yet I don't think any have been wildly successful.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I think the relaxation of physical constraints and the increasing ease of epublishing means that probably ebooks will start to become larger, especially in the self-pubbed/e-pubbed-only market, but that's not a good thing. It just means writers have an excuse not to exercise discipline and ruthless editing.

OTOH, there does seem to be a growing market for short stories/novellas for those with shorter attention spans. Light novels haven't quite caught on in the U.S. yet, but something like it probably will eventually.

That's the nightmare that textbook publishers are sweating over; the don't want that, at all.

In fact, they're keenly interested, especially in the sciences, in time-based DRM.

Yeah. I've got no sympathy for textbook publishers. For years they've released a "new edition" every year (with minor rearrangements of text and slightly reworded problems/exercises) just to force students to buy new books and try to kill the used textbook market.

SJp

Registered
Reaction score
It just means writers have an excuse not to exercise discipline and ruthless editing.

And I wonder how many times that's been used as an excuse to hit the publisher's sweetspot.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
There have been quite a few attempts to revive serials in ebook form over the last 10 years or so. As of yet I don't think any have been wildly successful.

I'll let you know in about a year as I release my various serial efforts. :)

Granted my definition of 'wildly successful' probably doesn't match yours.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score

My original statement was...

"But I do agree that - in 'most' cases - a self-published author will not go on to 'fame and fortune'. Of course that's true for authors traditionally published too."

It was definitely not my intent to say that 'all epublishing authors are self-published'. My apologies if I offended anyone.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I didn't see this question posed anywhere. With e-readers continuing to rise, do you believe we will see growing number of lengthier fiction be considered and published?

Of the total books (we're talking ebook format here) I have out or scheduled for release, four out of seven are full-length novels in the 60,000 -80,000 word count range.