Reading manuscripts out loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
At the publisher where I work, it is standard procedure to read a manuscript out loud after its initial edit. This is a group exercise, always done with multiple editors present. The number of useful changes that are identified while this is done is quite remarkable and time-intensive though it might be, it is worth it for all of the insight that is gained when we hear the text, rather than just read it.

I have also found that this works when I proof things that I have written. After writing the first draft, revising it, and proofing it, I read it out loud, alone. Lots of things in there make me wince, and they get changed.

I think other writers could benefit from doing this. Has anybody here ever tried it? Would anybody here like to try it and relate their experience with it?

I think it's definitely valuable! I attend a weekly writers' critique group and we read our pieces aloud. It often does come across very differently when read for everybody to hear. While I'm working on my books, I read parts over that aren't feeling quite right to me...I often can identify what the problem is once I actually hear it.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
When I homeschooled my younger son through high school, reading aloud was one of my requirements for all of his papers. "In this step, trust your ears, not your eyes." He hated it, but admitted he found all sorts of errors.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Reading aloud works brilliantly for dialogue. When I look over the pieces in SYW, one area that often is weak with new writers is the dialogue. It is often so unrealistic, even jarring with chokingly-long sentences. I mean, who talks like that? Very few of us.

Most people speak to one another in short sentences and fragments. So when you read your dialogue alone, or with a reading partner, you will quickly 'hear' the flaws (if any) in your writing. You'll also notice how often you use contractions...

Prolly all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.