• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gay Romance Press / Eye Scry Publications

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Just found these guys courtesy of Emily Veinglory's EREC site.

http://www.gayromancepress.com/

Thing that bothered me the most is this from their 'Editorial Services' page [Bolding mine.]:

Our Mission
In evaluating your manuscript, our goal is to help you identify your strengths as a writer, while simultaneously working to correct any weaknesses in the submitted work. Ultimately, we attempt to provide the writer with observations, commentary and potential alternatives that can turn an ordinary manuscript into a truly memorable one - and a potentially saleable one! While we cannot guarantee publication, we can promise to assist you in creating a manuscript that will get the attention of potential agents and publishers. Our comments and suggestions are always constructive, never harsh or mean-spirited.

Additionally, after your work has been edited, if your manuscript fits the guidelines for our publishing endeavors, you may be offered a contract for Gay Romance Press or Eye Scry Publications to publish your work as an e-book. Genres we currently publish include gay romance, general romance, erotica, books with a paranormal/metaphysical element, vampire novels (romantic preferred) as well as occasional non-fiction in the fields of metaphysical, paranormal, spiritual, and new age. PLEASE NOTE: Due to an overwhelming number of submissions, we currently only offer contracts to authors utilizing our editorial services. However, no contract is guaranteed, and contracts are offered only to works which we feel are exemplary in their field.
---
In short, you have to pay them to edit your story, then they might offer you a contract.

I'd steer well clear of this publisher based on that alone.

Farther down the page they give their rates:
----
Content Editing
100 pages or less: $200.
101-300 pages: $450.
over 300 pages, add $1.50 for each additional page.

Proof Reading/Copy Editing

100 pages or less: $150.
101-300 pages: $300.
over 300 pages, add $1.00 for each additional page.

----
They currently have two titles for sale with one not yet for sale. Year of the Ram which is 97,000 words and goes for $9.95 and Ragged Angels which is 126,000 words and also goes for $9.95. That's for pdf copies which is a bit steep for ebooks of those lengths. (Average for 97,000 words is between $4.50 and $7 and for 126,000 is between $6 and $8, depending of course on the publisher.)

Gay Romance Press

Publisher, Editor, Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gayromancepress.com
From Gay Romance Press

Hi, Michael.

Just wanted to clear up a few things with regard to Gay Romance Press. At the time the site was originally launched, we had planned to take it in a different direction, thus the wording on the editorial services page. That wording has now been changed, since we are not accepting work from outside the current stable.

With regard to pricing of our ebooks, that too has changed - for the better! Most of our titles are now $4.99 or less, and consist of a much higher word count than many other ebook romances available elsewhere. Also, our titles are now available through Amazon.com (Kindle), some for as low as $2.99.

We have just released a new title, THE FOUNDLING (by Wendy Rathbone) which I personally think is one of the hottest male/male romances I've read in a long time! Granted, I'm biased because of my personal connection to the author, but that aside, it's STILL one of the best male/male efforts I've seen lately.

So, just wanted to update the information from your post and let you know that we're growing and evolving, learning more as we go, and adjusting accordingly.

Many blessings,
Della Van Hise
Gay Romance Press
http://www.gayromancepress.com

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Hi, Michael.

We have just released a new title, THE FOUNDLING (by Wendy Rathbone) which I personally think is one of the hottest male/male romances I've read in a long time! Granted, I'm biased because of my personal connection to the author, but that aside, it's STILL one of the best male/male efforts I've seen lately.

So, just wanted to update the information from your post and let you know that we're growing and evolving, learning more as we go, and adjusting accordingly.

Many blessings,
Della Van Hise
Gay Romance Press

I used to publish Wendy's gothic poetry way back in the days when I did a print zine.

Learning is good, but this business isn't an easy one and I wish you all the luck with your venture.

Gay Romance Press

Publisher, Editor, Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gayromancepress.com
I used to publish Wendy's gothic poetry way back in the days when I did a print zine.

Learning is good, but this business isn't an easy one and I wish you all the luck with your venture.

Hi, Michael - good to make your acquaintance. :)

Yes the business is tough, and I'm not looking to make a living at it, at least not when I'm being realistic. Heh.

Wendy is still writing poetry, and it's still awesome. Of course, I'm a biased audience, but that's okay, too.

Be well,
Della at Gay Romance Press

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Going by Amazon, publish someone other than themselves about once a year.