Happy July 4th!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Welcome, GCU! Stop by Write1Sub1 for your official badge.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

practical experience, FTW Pemako's Avatar
    I hope it's not too late to join! I really need some motivation. I was hoping that Nanowrimo would get me working, but I'm only at 12,532 words - sigh - and losing speed. Thanks.

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    It's never too late. Welcome aboard!

practical experience, FTW Pemako's Avatar
    Thanks, Alex! Yep, I really need some kind of community. I just realized - duh - thanks to AW - that Weird Tales was not just on vacation, and that I was never ever going to hear anything back on my story that had been there for 96 days. Grrr. And also just realized, thanks to the Rejectomancy thread, that it was an even worse idea than I thought, subbing something to Analog (they don't want 'downbeat endings'. Boy, did I ever choose the wrong story to send to them!). So I will be very very grateful to get the benefit of everybody else's experience.

Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar
    Welcome aboard, Pemako! Feel free to jump into any of the threads here in the forum. We've also got a novel challenge going too, which might help with your novel motivation.

Great to have you join the throng, Pemako -- stop by Write1Sub1 for your official badge. =]
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

Countdown initiated . . . Write1Sub1!

Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

I walk into things Opinionated Ant's Avatar
    The G+ page looks really good!
    Works nights and scribbles nonsense to stay awake.
    Google+ | Annuary Chit

Thanks to Stephanie -- she's our resident G+ guru. =]

We're going full-steam ahead into 2012: Write1Sub1 RELOADED!

Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

figuring it all out Siren of Triton's Avatar
    Is there any word minimum?
    I'm trying to learn how to write for younger audiences, and therefore trying to see what I can do with only a few hundred or a thousand words.

practical experience, FTW sammyjwebb's Avatar
    land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
    Welcome Siren!

No word count limits or goals. It's all about writing, polishing, and submitting. We've got short stories and noveling going on around these parts.
    - Sam

Blog Twitter

We’ll see what happens from here… Eliza C's Avatar
    Kudos to all who try this!
    I write novels as well as short stories so would have a hard time goal-setting for this, but I'm a big believer in writers subbing what they write. My short stories stay in pretty constant circulation - if I get rejected, I re-read the story (helps to see it fresh if it's been gone for awhile), revise if I think it needs work, and send it right back out again. I currently have 6 different stories out at 8 markets. It's a win-win - some of my stories have found homes and I definitely find that the more I write, the more ideas I get for new stories.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Are stories submitted here

Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

MC

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Welcome to AW and W1/S1, MC and ElizaC!

Quote Originally Posted by Meme chose View Post
    Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.
    No worries

W1/S1 is for people who want to set themselves a goal of writing and subbing stories on some regular basis, and find it easier to meet goals when other folks are doing it too. Some folks try to write/sub one story a week, or one a month, and some of us are (theoretically, anyhow) working on novels which'd really be one/year. But as with so much in writing, it helps not to be alone, and this is a great group of people w/ a heck of a lot of talent and drive.

People don't sub stuff here, although I think some of the established members who've gotten to know each other pretty well beta stuff back and forth. If you want feedback on work, there's the SYW forum, but you'll have to reach 50 posts before you can post your own work there. In the meantime, it's a good idea to go there and do some critiquing for what's already posted, make yourself part of the community. No reason you can't hang out both here and there.

So what sorts of things are you writing? Do you have goals already set for yourself? Pull up a virtual chair and make yourself at home.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

We’ll see what happens from here… Eliza C's Avatar
    Thanks. I can't believe I've been a member of AW for so long (nearly 2 years) and have used this site so little. Still definitely a newbie. Now that I'm really exploring around here, I wish I'd been more active long ago.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?

Quote Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
    Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?
    Hi joetab24 There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it!

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it!
    This. There is one as soon as you decide to do it.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

practical experience, FTW CaPooF's Avatar
    I'm currently working on a novel, but I think I'll try to do one short a month as well. Not sure if it'll work, but I like the idea of getting stories out there regularly, and it will look good if I have some more published stories when I send the novel out. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Awesome stuff, C.P. Welcome to W1S1

How much for a cheeseburger? Receding Waters's Avatar
    I just checked out W1S1 this morning. This sounds great (like all of you already know!). It's harder for me to write smaller pieces, but I'm working on the edits to a fourth MS. I'd like to submit it to a reputable E-publisher within the next, oh, two months. Maybe I can tailor my own W1S1 to mean "Submit something every three months." I have material I can do that with, at least for the foreseeable future...Maybe that's what'll do. I always need the motivation, anyway.
    China Blog: http://ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com/

The world is round; it has no point.--Adrienne E. Gusoff

Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him. --Paul Eldridge

Sounds like a plan, Receding Waters! Welcome to W1S1

You might've already seen it, but we also have a Novel Challenge going, which works on a similar premise to the short fiction challenge. Aim to write, polish, submit within a certain amount of time.

How much for a cheeseburger? Receding Waters's Avatar
    Thanks, Izz. I'll check it out. Might be more my pace.
    China Blog: http://ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com/

The world is round; it has no point.--Adrienne E. Gusoff

Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him. --Paul Eldridge

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Okay, I should have posted this stuff before now, but here's what's going on for me right now.

I sent 3 stories out between 10/8 and 10/21.

Received a revise and resubmit on the 10/8 submission on 10/25. Did the revision 10/26. Received an offer 10/27.

Still waiting to hear on the other two submissions.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    My Domain LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
    Order-The Prince He Loved
    Print
    Ebook
    Apocalypse Dance-Sold to Fireborn Publishing 4-15-15

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast