Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway

Lost in the Land of Giants Tienci's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    Welcome V1c, Eddyz and TheBigEasy.

The procrastinator part is really helped by the whole W1S1 thing. That's pretty much the idea. Hang out with us, write, share your successes and failures and before you know it you might improve your productivity. Well, a little, anyway
    Co-signing with Alex.
    In 2009, I wrote a grand total of one short story for the year, an adaptation of a short film I wrote.
    In 2010, again, one short story written--a flash piece @ 600 words for NPR's 3 minute fiction contest.

This year, because of W1S1, 12 new stories so far so it's helped a bit.
    "Will you won't you will you won't you, will you join the dance?"

(>^_^)> <(^_^<)
    An awful town that I want to leave in Missouri
    (<_< so I'm very new. The person above me has been a member since 2005 and I thought that meant this thread was last visited in 2005. Oh dear. so I'm posting again... and sorry for making a mess of things.)

Writing a story a week sounds exciting and challenging. Submitting a story a week sounds horrifying. I'm too scared to submit my stories... it's like saying they're done, and I have to release them into the ether. Like I have said all I can say on them.

What if I write a story and week, but don't submit them? I :P

If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance?

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    If you don't submit your stories your end result will be exactly the same as getting all the stories rejected. So given that, why not try and see if you might get an acceptance?
    Not quite, because every Large Round Number of rejections you're allowed to throw yourself a big party, so no rejections = no party, and what fun is that?

(Also, welcome, candystar. There's also a monthly W1S1 if weekly seems a bit steep, and there's a thread here for getting out one's post-rejection blues in the company of friends. If you're gonna do it, this is the best place. )

-Suzanne
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

On the line between the sane and the insane.
    Question where do we submit our works? I am interested in joining since I have a few ideas. No idea how long I can last for but this does sound like fun.
    My Blog
    You are a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made of stardust, what do you have to be scared of?

Zilva: It depends on what kind of stuff you write. Duotrope.com is an excellent resource for finding magazines and other various publishers to submit to. And if you have a story that's just difficult to classify, you can always ask the advice of the folks here, especially if it's a spec fic piece, as a large proportion of us write that.

practical experience, FTW EnitaMeadows's Avatar
    I'm so grateful for this thread; I had absolutely no clue what W1S1 meant. Now that I know, it sounds kind of interesting. Maybe upon the new year, I'll take the challenge, although it may be difficult since I'm more of a novelist.

Eire $.99
    Great bonds are made even without the help of magic.
    Others are severed with the swing of the sword.

The Messenger $5.95
    From MuseItUp Publishing
    A tale of a girl, a skinwalker, and the
    curse that threatens to tear them apart.

Enita: Welcome! Visit our site anytime for details and updates: Write1Sub1
    Last edited by mfowler76; 08-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

practical experience, FTW Eva Lefoy's Avatar
    My question would be, where do you submit the works? Is there a resource on AW that might have those answers?

Ah, I see you've answered that question up above -- sorta. Is there a list of literary magazines and also erotica sites that one can sub to though? What about SciFi?

For those of us that write a little bit of everything....

And, how about self-publishing? Anybody tackling that dog in W1S1?
    Last edited by Eva Lefoy; 08-22-2011 at 07:32 AM.

loves writing :)
    I've decided to send each story out 3 times and then self-publish them.

Lost in the Land of Giants Tienci's Avatar
    Hi Jarrah--Duotrope has a filter for all of those i.e., in the "Genre" field, you can choose Erotica or Sci-Fi or even Western if you'd like.
    I'd advise leaving the "Subgenre" and even the "Style" field open though--at least at first; in fact, I'd recommend then choosing only "Length" and "Payscale" and seeing what comes up. Narrow it further if the results are overwhelming.

ETA--Personally, I'd sub at least 15 times before even considering any other options (besides re-working/re-writing).
    My first sold story got 6 rejections before selling.
    Last edited by Tienci; 08-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    "Will you won't you will you won't you, will you join the dance?"

This is a fantastic idea. I'm not sure I've yet got the courage to try it, but its tempting. Great way of forming a writing habit.

Definitely. Stop by Write1Sub1 to learn more.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

There may be bloodshed...just sayin readlorey's Avatar

nice idea

I like the idea....I need to submit more though I have just recently submitted a short and it's going to be published soon. But I'm not sure if I can do one a month. I do know I can't do one a week. My pain in the arse day job takes up a lot of my writing time.

But I'm game, in between two websites, one blog, Facebook, Twitter, paranormal magazine, speeches, and other odds and ends.

I even have the beginning for a new short as soon as I get the chance to write it.

So my answer is 'maybe'
    Last edited by readlorey; 09-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    I doubt, therefore I may be!

My website:
    http://www.lorettastradley.com/

My blog:
    http://readlorey.wordpress.com/

Central Indiana Writers' Association
    http://sites.google.com/site/centralindianawriters/

Hoy cow--I thought I was being ambitious to aim for a story a month, and then I met you folks. I've already learned this year that what you guys are saying is true, though--setting ambitious goals and sticking to them is the way to really getting your writing moving.

So count me in! A story a week to the end of the year--I just may be able to do that. It helps that I just sent one out last night, so I've already got this week covered!
    Please pick up "Resistance Front" for the Kindle at Amazon: http://amzn.to/rxKzKs . 99 cents, 30+ stories (including my "Peripheral"), and the proceeds benefit The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Now available on the Kindle: My crime novel Five Million Dollars and the Green-Eyed Girl

Read my work: "The Penthouse View" (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012);"Infamous" (The First Line, Fall 2011); "Disaster Girl" (essay, Phati'tude 9/11 10th anniversary issue); "Dead Connections" (AW Speculative Fiction anthology)

www.twitter.com/jswalkerauthor

Welcome! Write1Sub1 is all about stretching ourselves as writers and encouraging each other along the way. Great to have you on board.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

Professional Procrastinator Ovid9's Avatar
    This concept terrifies and fascinates me.

I mean, I'm a Professional Procrastinator and all. But, seeing as how I finished a short story this week, I'm all puffed up and full of myself, so, why not right?

Here goes nothing!

Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    Since I ended up parting ways with my second agent earlier this year, I also found myself parting ways with that particular agency contract, which didn't allow me to sell my own short fiction (silly, IMO, because short fiction usually doesn't pay beans, so why would an agent care?) While I was with that agency I neglected my short fiction most horribly, as I didn't see it as being worth my time. (Sad.)

But now that I'm on my own again (for now, at any rate), I am getting interested in my short work again, and in writing more. So with that in mind, I am joining up W1/S1 and will be setting aside some time every week to write some new short fiction and get it on submission. I love Ray Bradbury, so why not emulate his methods? Short fiction still doesn't pay beans (usually), but it's fun and I like being able to say that I've just sold another story. It makes me sound a lot more impressive than I actually am.

I sent off a submission to Clarkesworld tonight. It's an older piece, sort of a Steampunk/sci-fi/alternate history thing. I'll start hammering away at something new tomorrow so I can sub it next week.

yay!

Welcome, Libbie!

Welcome along, Libbie!

Welcome aboard, Libbie! Stop by Write1Sub1 anytime, and let us know how the hammering is going.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

practical experience, FTW GCU_Dramatic Exit's Avatar
    I'm feeling like I need a kick up the ol' backside so I'm goin' to join up for the monthly W1S1.

Woohoo, GCU!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast