Laptop vs. desktop computer??

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Do you use a lap top (sometimes called notebook) computer for your writing or do use a desk top computer? I'll need to buy a new computer soon and I'd love to know what style most writers prefer. Thanks.

While I have both, I love writing on my laptop most of all. I seldom even use the desk top any more other than to retrieve stored stuff.

I like being able to use my laptop anywhere - at home or out. I have three kids, two teen daughters and while I'm waiting around for them at various events, I just take the laptop so I can work. I did the second round of edits for my July release during their (church) choir practices.

joanhallhovey

Registered
Reaction score
Laptop vs desktop

I have a Sunbook netbook that I can take outside in nice weather, and I love it. You can work in the direct sunlight if you wanted to and no trouble seeing the screen. It's 10 inch screen. I also like my 13" ultralight laptop. I sit on the couch with my feet up and write; I feel closer to the story this way. For serious editing ( the final edits - before and after I get my manuscript back from the publisher) I use my desktop. Which is actually a HP 3 in 1 ~ I've enjoyed seeing how everyone else does it.

Check out my books at www.joanhallhovey.com All available at amazon.com

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I buy a business laptop, one with a docking station. Then I simply unplug for on the go, and when at my desk, the laptop connects to a monitor (I actually have two), speakers, a full keyboard, and Wacom mouse/drawing tablet. All in one quick step.

A previous employer was going to discard a Lenovo netbook. Too slow for what they intended. But for writing, peachy keen. And four hours battery life even at four years old.

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
I use a laptop for reasons besides writing. First and foremost I don't like setting up space for a desk to set my computer on and I don't like being restricted to one spot. Second I love sitting in my comfy chair and writing, which wouldn't work well at a desk. And finally, I watch Netflix, and sometimes I want to watch it comfortably in my own bed. Laptop is perfect for it.

Also, I find the small keyboard actually increases my typing speed, similar to those flat keyboards that can be purchased for desktop computers (I was sooo excited when we got those for our Macs when I worked at the paper). This is probably because I have shorter fingers.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I've been using a laptop for the last few years, but I think I would prefer a desktop.

I have huge meathooks for hands, so that's one issue. I got tired of having to carry around an extra keyboard along with everything else.

Also, the novelty of being unplugged just doesn't mean that much to me -- for stuff like notetaking in classes, I'd rather write longhand. Between a memory stick and Google Drive, I don't have to worry about leaving stuff at home. Also, carrying a laptop around can be dangerous, if, say, some asshat decides to run a red light and nearly run you down. It's an extra burden to carry around, and personally, I haven't found it worth it -- and since my battery can't even carry a charge anymore, my laptop's turned into a glorified desktop, anyways.

At the end, it doesn't come down to what most writers prefer. It comes down to what you prefer, and what fits your budget and your lifestyle :)

Creative Ghost

Gone and Come Again
Registered
Reaction score
I have an office with a desk and PC, and I haven't even used it for at least a year now. Since I got my laptop, I can't even imagine using my desktop anymore.

When I write, i like to get into 'the zone'. Being able to get comfortable and hunker down in a lounger chair or my sofa with the footrest extended really helps me get there.

Plus, whenever I go anywhere, everything is with me. Not just writing-wise but everything digital-wise.

I still write in my office sometimes, but sit in a lounger chair there with my laptop. Much better than a desk chair. For me, at least.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like a desktop because you can put the screen at eye level, which helps with back strain, and drag the keyboard forward. I just found with a laptop I tended to hunch. That said you can have the best of both worlds- a laptop with an external monitor keyboard and mouse.
I actually use a tablet to do most of my writing. I have a nice case that I can slip my hand into and I then walk around and type with a stylus.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have three computers: an old laptop, an old netbook, and a rather new desktop.

For writing, both laptop and desktop are fine, but nowadays I prefer to work on my desktop: it's super fast and the screen colors are much better (I actually bought it specifically for design, but now I use it for my writing as well).
The netbook I only use while on holiday; typing on it really sucks, but it's so light and small I can easily carry it around in my handbag, and I've finished many a manuscript on it during travels.

Normally I hate giant desktops and computer screens; they take up much space, and I don't like to look at them when I'm not working.
I work at home, and don't have a separate room to turn into an office, so I did the next best thing:
I bought a nice computer closet and turned it into a creative work space, much like the closet offices I saw on interior design sites.
Now it's my favorite spot in the house: I love to work there and close it all up when I'm done.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laptop for me. It's not tiny but neither am I. My 17-inch Dell floats from room to room on a lap desk and transfers to a backpack where I keep a ready-to-go mobile office.

I couldn't go back to being chained to a desk.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
After our desktop died about 10 years ago, we started getting laptops. They're so much more versatile. A desktop is like a boat anchor tying you to one spot. Although laptops tend to be slightly less long lived because of the constant banging around.

As far as keyboards, I always get the large screen laptops and they not only come with fullsized keyboards, but even have a number pad. So I don't have typing issues.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I float from device to device. I have a laptop and a netbook, but I also recently got myself a new desktop. I keep a small jumpdrive with me and take a copy of what I'm working on from place to place (You can do the same think with cloud storage. I like having the physical device. Lousy internet service around here, and the cloud isn't always accessible.) The processor on the desktop is much faster, and there's a ton of memory compared to what I have on my laptop, but then again, my laptop is over five years old.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure the OP has made his choice since 2011.

Gotta love necro'ing threads...

-cb

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I'm sure the OP has made his choice since 2011.

Gotta love necro'ing threads...

-cb

Like it! I have this fantasy where he hasn'tn been able to make his mind up since 2011. Just when he thinks he's got it nailed ... it's a laptop for sure ... someone will pop up and say how much they love their phablet and he's back to square one.

Mind you, my wife and I did have a strange experience today of using no fewer than six different computing devices in the space of a couple of hours - two smart phones, one i-pad, one desktop pc and two laptops. And then our son announced that his laptop wasn't fast enough to play minecraft on and could we upgrade it for him...?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Writing this on an Android pad. Figures...

On second thought, the OP might come back here when the device bought in 2011 is now obsolete and needs to be upgraded.

-cb

Last edited:

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like it! I have this fantasy where he hasn'tn been able to make his mind up since 2011. Just when he thinks he's got it nailed ... it's a laptop for sure ... someone will pop up and say how much they love their phablet and he's back to square one.

:lol:, love this comment.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
After our desktop died about 10 years ago, we started getting laptops. They're so much more versatile. A desktop is like a boat anchor tying you to one spot. Although laptops tend to be slightly less long lived because of the constant banging around.

As far as keyboards, I always get the large screen laptops and they not only come with fullsized keyboards, but even have a number pad. So I don't have typing issues.
It's funny, these IBM keyboards without the keypads now sell for more than ever. I actually found a second one a month ago. These things may well end up funding my retirement.

Mind you, my wife and I did have a strange experience today of using no fewer than six different computing devices in the space of a couple of hours - two smart phones, one i-pad, one desktop pc and two laptops. And then our son announced that his laptop wasn't fast enough to play minecraft on and could we upgrade it for him...?
I'm way behind the times, still have the netbook I bought four years ago. It's getting rather slow surfing the net, but I suspect that's more version and software bloat of later Firefox versions than the XP installation going wonky. All my other software (that I have NOT updated) runs just as fast as ever. But for surfing on the run I feel the need a new laptop.

Desktops as consumer devices were starting to die years ago, and with the high demand for laptops, smartphones and those tablet-things, about the only use of these "desktop" things will be in data centers as servers.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Desktops as consumer devices were starting to die years ago, and with the high demand for laptops, smartphones and those tablet-things, about the only use of these "desktop" things will be in data centers as servers.

Wait till you get old. I sit here at a 24" monitor rotated 90 degrees so that I can zoom 8.5x11" pages of text as large as possible, with an adjustable height keyboard, monitor, and trackball. Ergonomically, a laptop cannot compete with the adjustability of a desktop. I spent a month at a new job where I was forced to use a laptop until my docking hardware showed up. The experience left me with two shoulders that feel like they are going to tear whenever I reach over my head and a right thumb that can barely move.

The laptop itself may be able to compete when you have a docking station, but actually using it as a laptop is physically debilitating.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Laptop. I can't remember the last time I had a desktop. My husband has a desktop in the office, but that's used mainly for his work and for printing. We both have our own laptops and are giving DD one for Christmas. I like being able to sit with it on my lap in the family room, lost in my writing in my family's company.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I use my laptop mostly. It is a relatively beefy laptop, just shy of gaming quality, though I have played a few games with no issues. My desktop is still back at my house with my parents. I haven't used it in so long, I wouldn't be surprised if it only had a third of the power my laptop has.

I do use my desktop at work though when I have some down time. Though that is also a weaker machine than my laptop.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
With a laptop I can escape the drama of the in-house teen, the partner, and just dip into the world where my invisible friends live. So, lap top for me. My desktop is used for boring, business stuff like taxes and accounts.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
And to throw into the mix how about those convertable tablets that act like a laptop, you can then remove the keyboard and poof it's a tablet.

I have to admit I like the lenova yoga laptop and am considering purcashing one, I'm the person who WOULD lose the keyboard! But I need something I can also draw on, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (Jellybean 4.3)

Just wondered if anyone was writing from a tablet?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
And to throw into the mix how about those convertable tablets that act like a laptop, you can then remove the keyboard and poof it's a tablet.

I have to admit I like the lenova yoga laptop and am considering purcashing one, I'm the person who WOULD lose the keyboard! But I need something I can also draw on, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (Jellybean 4.3)

Just wondered if anyone was writing from a tablet?

Almost. Lenovo X100e thinkpad. 11 inch netbook. Doesn't bend around like the Yoga. And the AMD Neo processor is horrendous with video. But for just writing, it's okay.

I've got a fairly cheap Android tablet that I'm getting a keyboard case for after Christmas. I'm going to try Google Docs on it and see how it goes. The tablet's a 10.1", so I'm thinking I won't feel too much of a difference.