Beta Readers/Crit Requests

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
You guys rock.

But I sure wish you'd read it and get what I meant, even if that isn't what I wrote. I mean, what's wrong with you people? CAN'T YOU READ MINDS???

:roll:

Seriously, thanks!

Shelley

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
*squeezes eyes tight*

*tries real hard*

:Shrug: Nope. No mind reading.

Dammit.

Shelley, make your mind more accessible, please.

*looks around sheepishly*

*takes off tinfoil hat and pretends it was off the whole time*

*whistles*

Shelley

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, if you all don't mind, I may start asking for betas for my short fiction. That's primarily what I write; whether it's because I just don't have the attention span to write novels, I don't know.

A word of warning that I'm new at this writing thing (In other words, I'm still in the "everything is unpublishable crap" phase that all aspiring writers go through). Hopefully with your help, I can at least escape "crap", if not "unpublishable". :p

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Ooh, if you all don't mind, I may start asking for betas for my short fiction. That's primarily what I write; whether it's because I just don't have the attention span to write novels, I don't know.

A word of warning that I'm new at this writing thing (In other words, I'm still in the "everything is unpublishable crap" phase that all aspiring writers go through). Hopefully with your help, I can at least escape "crap", if not "unpublishable". :p
:hi: Hi Emptyeye. Welcome to AW!

Go right ahead. And if you're able to beta other people's short fiction that'll be groovy too. All give and take and whatnot, right? :)

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I write whatever strikes me fancy, to be honest. Some of the stuff I have in various stages of completion:
An 800-word fantasy piece that's a battle between two wizards.
A 2500-word...I guess it'd be a suspense/horror piece...where a man and a woman are restrained in a room whose purpose is not to cure insanity, but to cause it.
A 1000 word story that I intended to submit for Machine of Death 2 before I realized that taking another angle on it would be more interesting and make for a better story.

If anyone has anything short (Say under 5000 words) that they want me to beta/look at, that's cool too. I figure that can only help improve my writing that much faster.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if anybody has a short period of time to read over a story, I would appreciate a fresh pair of eyes.

The trick is that it needs to a very, very quick turnaround, because I'd like to send it within the next hour or two.

It's horror, but more creepy and not gory at all (not even any cursing, which was a challenge) at 2,925 words, so it shouldn't take long.

If anybody has the time, I'd appreciate it and am happy to reciprocate at any time. Thanks!

Shelley

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this. Do you still need a look?

Thanks so much, Annie! But I think I've just about got her wrapped up. I appreciate the offer, though.

:D

Shelley

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I need someone to beta a short story. It's not speculative. In fact, I think it may be crap. Overly emotional, literary drivel, to be exact.

Fresh eyes would be welcomed. It's about 1550 words. Would be willing to trade betaing on anything of similar length. (Up to about 2k.) Can't do quick turnaround though, since my internet access is very limited. Send me a pm with email addy if interested.

:)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I could use some help with a scene. It's a magic scene, and since I usually write all my magic off-screen, I'm really feeling like this sucks.

The whole story it almost 7k, so I don't want to throw that at anyone :tongue I really just need help with the scene. About 500 words. It's of a corpse being reanimated.

If you have experience writing or reading scenes of this nature--I'd be particularly interested on your take and if the scene is salvageable--or if I should just make it off-screen after all.

Will return the favor on something up to 2k if you need it.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I could use some help with a scene. It's a magic scene, and since I usually write all my magic off-screen, I'm really feeling like this sucks.

The whole story it almost 7k, so I don't want to throw that at anyone :tongue I really just need help with the scene. About 500 words. It's of a corpse being reanimated.

If you have experience writing or reading scenes of this nature--I'd be particularly interested on your take and if the scene is salvageable--or if I should just make it off-screen after all.

Will return the favor on something up to 2k if you need it.

Sounds interesting. Send me a pm, and I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you(hopefully I'll be of some use).

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Thanks, guys!

Alex, I have had a couple people look at it and I'm going to make some tweaks based on what they've suggested. Then I'll send it to you for another look. You might see something that they didn't.

Look for something from me in the next couple of days. :)

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, could use some betas for my 800-word piece I intend to submit to 10Flash Quarterly. I guess it's sci-fi, though there's not a lot about it that couldn't take place in the present day with a few tweaks.

Because of the market, it would have to be as quickly as possible once I sent it to you. I'm willing to try and critique something of similar length, although I don't know how much help I'll be.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, could use some betas for my 800-word piece I intend to submit to 10Flash Quarterly. I guess it's sci-fi, though there's not a lot about it that couldn't take place in the present day with a few tweaks.

Because of the market, it would have to be as quickly as possible once I sent it to you. I'm willing to try and critique something of similar length, although I don't know how much help I'll be.

I could get 800 words back to you tonight. How in depth a critique do you want? My email's nsktehATgmailDOTcom.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, look for an e-mail from emptyeyeATemptyeyeDOTcom in the next 10 minutes or so.

Mainly, I'm a new writer. For this specific story, I'm mainly looking for a way to take out the various "he handed the notepad back to her"s and similar in the latter half of the story (You'll know what I mean when you read it). Be gentle please! If something sucks, feel free to tell me such, but also suggest a way I might make it not suck, if possible. :) This goes for anyone, by the way.

Do you have a specific file format you want, or is just pasting into the body of the e-mail okay?

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, look for an e-mail from emptyeyeATemptyeyeDOTcom in the next 10 minutes or so.

Mainly, I'm a new writer. For this specific story, I'm mainly looking for a way to take out the various "he handed the notepad back to her"s and similar in the latter half of the story (You'll know what I mean when you read it). Be gentle please! If something sucks, feel free to tell me such, but also suggest a way I might make it not suck, if possible. :) This goes for anyone, by the way.

Do you have a specific file format you want, or is just pasting into the body of the e-mail okay?

I'd prefer word of some kind, if possible. I can read .doc, .docx, rtf, whatever. And if you're around here, I doubt your writing sucks in any way. Just sayin'...

REDefiant

Registered
Reaction score
I'm bringing a story back after three R's and would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at it. It's a rather lonely story about a man floating through space. Right at around 1300 words.

I'd be more than happy to read something in return, as it would be very appreciated. You can PM me or just respond here, whichever.

I don't need a very in-depth critique. What works, what doesn't? That's really all I need. Also, advice on where to send it would be awesome!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to send it to me, too. (Email's a post or two up.)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RED: Feel free to e-mail it to me: kingsgames at gmail dot com

I'm not an amazing critiquer, but I'll be happy to offer an opinion.