Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you are aware of Shock Totem's bimonthly flash contest. This contest 29 people had a week to write a flash story based on a prompt. Then all of us voted for our top 3 stories. First place votes get 5 points, second-place 3 points, and third-place 1 point.

The results just came in and my story won!

It doesn't mean publication, but at the end of the year a judge will choose one of the six first-place stories from throughout the year, and that one will be published in an issue of Shock Totem!

So I'm pretty thrilled!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats, O'Dandelo!

I have some braggage myself--Lovecraft eZine wants to accept my story (I'm debating on whether to keep the original title or change it). So that makes 1 R, 1 middling, and 1 acceptance in a single day.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Defcon!! Woooo! Mike's a really nice guy. That's awesome. (Maybe this means he'll be reading my submission soon, heh heh.)

And MORE news! A couple of hours after learning I won the flash contest they hosted, Shock Totem emailed to tell me they want to publish my story "Orion" in Shock Totem!!!!! SO excited.

I must thank Defcon. She read "Orion" in its first and second drafts and gave me some REALLY helpful advice.

I'm dancing around the house I just moved into! This is my first pro-market sale and one of my top 2 dream-list markets!!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news, guys! Congrats to defcon and double-congrats to O'Dandelo!

My own ST story performed very poorly (only earned 5 points this time) even though it had a lot of nice, positive comments. May be trunking that one, we'll see.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
And MORE news! A couple of hours after learning I won the flash contest they hosted, Shock Totem emailed to tell me they want to publish my story "Orion" in Shock Totem!!!!! SO excited.
BIG congrats on that one! :e2cheer:

Maybe defcon should start an editorial service, eh? :D (yes, defcon is speaking in the 3rd-person)

My own ST story performed very poorly (only earned 5 points this time) even though it had a lot of nice, positive comments. May be trunking that one, we'll see.
Last story I entered in their contest only got 5 points, too--but not so many nice comments. It wound up receiving a personal R from FFO, but I'm still pleased with the story, though I may expand it now.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congratulations, Defcon and O'Dandelo :)

Sheepz for you!

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! :) But, embarrassingly, I now have only ONE story under consideration. I've not had time lately to write much of anything, although I'm about to send a story out into the ether across the Atlantic and will soon have a rewrite to submit.

I hang out with you guys here to inspire me to get into the W1S1 spirit. (And you all ARE inspiring as well as entertaining!) Soon I'll have the time to go with it. I've only submitted 7 stories in my first seven months, so I'm barely clinging to the outer limits of W1S1.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Congrats O'Dandelo! This has inspired me to dig out the flash I wrote for the January ST flash challenge and submit it.

I have some braggage myself--Lovecraft eZine wants to accept my story (I'm debating on whether to keep the original title or change it). So that makes 1 R, 1 middling, and 1 acceptance in a single day.

Sounds like a busy day. Congrats on the acceptance! :D

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
It's so funny to have signed up for these forums and see so many familiar faces from over at the ST forums! Congrats again, O'Dandelo! And Alex, my stories for the flash contests have only earned 6 points each time, but I've gotten lots of wonderful feedback, and hey, among 29 people that you don't really know, I've learned to take some of the feedback with a grain of salt. :)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Risking overkill here because I already shared the news yesterday, but I wanted to post this while it's still the first thing on the main page:

http://www.shocktotem.com/

The public-ness of the second sentence kind of surprised me and the small effort to mention it on their site made my day all over again.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so funny to have signed up for these forums and see so many familiar faces from over at the ST forums! Congrats again, O'Dandelo! And Alex, my stories for the flash contests have only earned 6 points each time, but I've gotten lots of wonderful feedback, and hey, among 29 people that you don't really know, I've learned to take some of the feedback with a grain of salt. :)

Welcome aboard! And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about people's feedback or the score. I just feel my story wasn't quite as good this round as in some past contests.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, folks! Lots of awesome news it seems like.

Enough to make me break out the :hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

Aggy, been on a roller coaster of RL drama today

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
O'Dandelo, twice awesome.

Defcon, way to go.

I've collected a few R's the last few days, so it cheers me to see the happy news on this thread.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to the news that Every Day Fiction will be publishing "The Traveling Fair" a fantasy story I wrote for the Shock Totem contest Fireworks prompt.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, Alex! Congrats!

The Braggage thread is looking great lately!

I was just thinking yesterday how I'd really love to expand my ST contest story and submit it somewhere, but instead I have to let it sit in the ether until the end of the year since it'll be judged with the other five winners.

I'm not complaining, of course, but man, that's a long time.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking yesterday how I'd really love to expand my ST contest story and submit it somewhere, but instead I have to let it sit in the ether until the end of the year since it'll be judged with the other five winners.

I'm not complaining, of course, but man, that's a long time.

I suppose you could always shop it around and remove it from consideration at ST if it's accepted elsewhere, but a 1-in-6 chance of getting it published in a solid market may be worth the wait.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm totally confused (not unusual for me). I won the ST contest last time :tongue, and I thought the winners competed with each other at the end of the year with a new prompt. I have my story out - I thought it was out of the running for anything else (man, hope I haven't messed up here).

I wondered if we can keep entering the contest if we've won - I was confused about that too :(.

Congrats O'Dandelo and everyone else - lots of good news lately.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm totally confused (not unusual for me). I won the ST contest last time :tongue, and I thought the winners competed with each other at the end of the year with a new prompt. I have my story out - I thought it was out of the running for anything else (man, hope I haven't messed up here).

I wondered if we can keep entering the contest if we've won - I was confused about that too :(.

Congrats O'Dandelo and everyone else - lots of good news lately.

The fox story. I remember you winning. Congrats again.

Now I haven't been told anything specific about how it works, but my understanding is that a guest judge will choose one of the six winners following the final contest of 2012. That story will be in issue #6. (And since I just had a story accepted by ST for issue #6, who knows how that would work out if my contest story was chosen.)

There's no prompt for the six winners. The six stories already written will be judged for a winner. Like I said, that's my understanding. I think you can find the info on their site somewhere.

I don't know if it's okay to have your winning story submitted to markets. I agree with what Alex had to say: A 1-in-6 shot at getting into an upper-tier magazine is much too good to pass up.

And Ken did tell me that we're welcome to participate in the rest of the contests this year.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, O'Dandelo. You know, I double checked recently, and thought I had confirmed that there was a new prompt at the end of the year, and now I can't find my source. Sheesh - did I make it up? Confused, as I said.

ETA: I just posted this question on the ST forum, and the reply I received confirmed that you're right. So - is it OK to withdraw a story when it is drastically in the red?
ETA again: I think I'll make a new thread for this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.