Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I now have permission to, and am pleased to annouce that "A Thousand Cuts" was accepted at One Buck Horror.

It took a few months and two rewrites, but it's good to go now, and I'm proud of this story. I posted a little bit about this story's journey on my blog:

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/01/27/a-thousand-cuts-accepted-at-one-buck-horror/
Congrats, Alex and Sai!

Alex, thanks for talking a bit about the process of getting this story accepted. As a newbie, I always wonder how rewrite requests work, so it was great to know more about the process (sounds as if "A Thousand Cuts" was an appropriate title).

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Alex and Sai!

Alex, thanks for talking a bit about the process of getting this story accepted. As a newbie, I always wonder how rewrite requests work, so it was great to know more about the process (sounds as if "A Thousand Cuts" was an appropriate title).

Thanks, and I love that observation! :) Though, in reality, both of my rewrites were longer than the original. The first rewrite was about 400 words longer, while the second only 100 words longer. It's a tiny story, just above flash length (1400'ish words).

I got the contract today, BTW, and it will be releasing VERY soon. Which is exciting, because I sold a number of stories in the last few months but haven't had one *published* since October.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Anne!

I wrote something for their first prompt and ended up selling that flash to Stupefying Stories instead. Been keeping an eye on their other prompts but haven't found anything else that inspired me yet. Will have to check back on Feb 1 :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Anne!

That's wonderful :)

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Hey dudes and dudettes, I've just been notified that my story at Bull Spec passed from the first reader to The Editors (enter monumental cellos).

Do you know, perchance, how long does it take since now?
I have it submitted to another and I'm wondering if I shouldn't withdraw from the other place...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nice one, goldmund.

I'm not sure what the current response times are for stories that've reached the BULL SPEC editors, but the last time i had a story get past slush i had a 300 day wait (that was over a year ago, mind you, and before the new editorial team took over). I've got another story that's with the editors there atm, and i think a few others here do too :)

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Goldmund,

How long had your sub been at Bull Spec, if you don't mind my asking? I've seen a whole bunch of 60-80 day rejections coming in during the last week or so. My story has been there 109 days and I haven't heard a peep either way.

I'm inclined to query, but if your story had been there a long time and you just now heard, then I may give it another week or two.

Thanks!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Michael: There's an excellent chance you got past slush. A number of others I talk to are in the same boat as you, and at least one recently received an answer to a query, stating that they're beginning to buy out of the slush for the next issue. So, hopefully, soon.

goldmund: It can be quite a while. However, there's no reason for you to withdraw from the other market(s), as long as they're anywhere near Bull Spec's quality. Just be sure to notify the others right away when you get an acceptance from one of them.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Cheers, Izz... 300 days is a hell of a hatching period. You mean, total or after it got out of the slush?

Michael -- it's been 84 days.

Alex: you bet I will let them know. Also, I always wash my hands before I sit at a table. ;-P
Well, the other is ****, so also v high quality, though lesser pay as far as I know.

Last edited:

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Congrats on the level up, Goldmund.

Mickael, I've been noticing that several markets are slower than usual lately. Hope you hear soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.