Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of great news in here lately! :hooray:

Congrats Rose (good luck on the hold!), Shelley (keep seeing your name on duotrope!), zanzjan (Asimov's wow!) and Alex (really enjoyed your story!) This thread is so inspiring.

Small bit of news for me--the first issue of Arcane is out! It contains my Hansel and Gretel story "Gingerbread and Ashes," which started as one of the prompts in the horror forum here. Pretty excited to see this one in print! :)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Nice story, Alex. Made me misty! I really love the thrill he got about parking illegally. Nice detail.

And jgold, I'll be reading your story as I planned to get a copy of Arcane. The whole thing looks awesome! In fact, I have a couple of things I need to buy, I'm behind on my reading material!

Thanks everbody, and congrats, guys!

:hooray:

Shelley

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Alex - that story was crushing. I'll agree on the details throughout (the churches and bars, the parking), but my favorite part was the final lines.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thanks guys :)

This story has been rejected by a bunch of markets before it finally found a home at EDF and I'm really gratified that people are finding it worthwhile. Just goes to show you that rejection is meaningless, and you should keep submitting your work for as long as you have have some faith in it.

Camille (Editor-in-Chief at EDF) made some spot-on recommendations, which boiled down to cutting a couple of sentences. She was very cool about it, offering to publish the story as is if I didn't agree with the changes. Her suggestions made it a tighter and better story (even by cutting only a handful of words!).

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Historical Lovecraft is sitting on the edge of my desk. My story's in it. I think I'm in a state closely resembling shock.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Historical Lovecraft is sitting on the edge of my desk. My story's in it. I think I'm in a state closely resembling shock.

Congrats! Is it your first printed story that you get to hold in your hands? It's a heady feeling, isn't it? :)

I'll be getting the ebook version, this is one I've been looking forward to and lost track of when it was coming, and I did note that your story is at the end of their free preview, just a few paragraphs. Enough to tease.

Looking forward to it, Nate!

Shelley

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, first printed story. I'm almost through the anthology now, and it's an incredibly weird feeling to enjoy a story and then realize that my story's in the same book.

Oh, and, just because things seem to like bunching up, today's also cool because my second review went up on Strange Horizons.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Congrats Alex and Nathaniel!

Nathaniel, how cool to have a book with your work in it. There's something about the physical presence of print material that makes everything seem real. :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, first printed story. I'm almost through the anthology now, and it's an incredibly weird feeling to enjoy a story and then realize that my story's in the same book.

Oh, and, just because things seem to like bunching up, today's also cool because my second review went up on Strange Horizons.

That sounds wonderful.

Congratulations!

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score

Awesome!

Shelley

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Well done, one and all!

Sold my Week6 story "Grandpa's Bluetooth" to Liquid Imagination today, and it should be online next month.

Write on,

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
How many copies did you buy for your friends/family? :)

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, one and all!

Sold my Week6 story "Grandpa's Bluetooth" to Liquid Imagination today, and it should be online next month.

Write on,

Congrats, Milo! Looking forward to it. Love the name.

Shelley

Status
Not open for further replies.