Status
Not open for further replies.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I finally have braggage! I just made my first sale to Ray Gun Revival.

An interesting thing happened, too. The story I sold features an astronaut in peril, and I got the acceptance email on my phone while standing next to the astronaut memorial at Kennedy Space Center. Weird!

Anyway, congrats to my fellow bragonauts. I'm glad to finally join your ranks.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally have braggage! I just made my first sale to Ray Gun Revival.

An interesting thing happened, too. The story I sold features an astronaut in peril, and I got the acceptance email on my phone while standing next to the astronaut memorial at Kennedy Space Center. Weird!

Anyway, congrats to my fellow bragonauts. I'm glad to finally join your ranks.

Congratulations! And here's to many more sales like that one.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I just got word tonight (including the contract) that a new venue, Grand Science Fiction, has accepted my story "Sequence" for publication.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Congrats everyone!

I just made my first paying sale on a longer piece. I'll announce it properly once I've signed contracts etc. but I'm too excited not to say something about it right now!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Thanks so much for all of the congratulations everyone! I tried not to do too many backflips in front of everyone at Kennedy Space Center.

I could use some advice from you veterans. What's the etiquette on announcing a sale? I tweeted about it this morning, and would like to post a bit about it on my blog and what not, but it occurred to me after sending that tweet that perhaps I should have waited to make any announcement. Obviously, I can't wait until signing a contract, since RGR has you agree to their terms on submission. Should I go ahead and blog about it?

Thanks again, guys and gals. And congrats to Michael and Pangalactic on your sales!

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I usually pop a little note in my "SQUEE thanks for buying my story!!!!111!!one!!" email asking if I'm OK to announce the sale or if they'd rather I waited. If I don't hear anything back within a reasonable amount of time then I assume they're OK with my announcing it, and go ahead and do it.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
pangalactic, Congrats!

ajoker, 1000-worder.

J. W., admittedly I do it mostly by "feel" but I generally wait until I've seen a contract. I might make exceptions for a well-known market if it were one which didn't always send contracts immediately but there was no real reason to think that the sale would fall through.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of the congratulations everyone! I tried not to do too many backflips in front of everyone at Kennedy Space Center.

I could use some advice from you veterans. What's the etiquette on announcing a sale? I tweeted about it this morning, and would like to post a bit about it on my blog and what not, but it occurred to me after sending that tweet that perhaps I should have waited to make any announcement. Obviously, I can't wait until signing a contract, since RGR has you agree to their terms on submission. Should I go ahead and blog about it?

Thanks again, guys and gals. And congrats to Michael and Pangalactic on your sales!

There are two schools of thought on this:

1) Always wait until the contract is signed before announcing the sale.

2) Announce the sale upon acceptance, unless the editor specifically asks you to keep mum until a certain date in the acceptance letter.

I am a proponent of the latter. While I respect those who wait on contracts, none of them have been able to offer me a convincing argument as to why they do this. The closest is that "the sale isn't official until the contact and it'll save the embarrassment in case the deal falls through."

To my thinking, a deal isn't going to "fall through" if you're working with a serious publication... and if it does I imagine it'd be more embarrassing to the publication than to the author anyway. So I tend to announce on acceptance and it hasn't gotten me into trouble yet. So far I was only asked once not to announce until a certain date (since the anthology was sending out acceptances over a few days) and of course I followed that guideline.

And congrats to Michael and Chris on their respective acceptances!

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Loved your story Alex!

And as it's all now sorted (I subscribe to the "iron out the kinks first then announce the sale" school of braggage ;-)) I'm very happy to be able to say that Jukepop Serials have picked up the first chapter of my as-yet untitled novel in progress, which will be serialised on their site come August/September.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Chris (and thank you :) )!

Please keep us updated on how your JukePop experience goes. I'm skeptical of their business model but would like to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.