Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 78 of 177 FirstFirst ... 32853687273747576777879808182838488103128153 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 4415

Thread: The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Heheheheh.

More Wondermark: The Fiction Generator
    _________
    A.G.C.

LEGACY: Available now! .epub and Kindle
    DUST: Available now! .epub and Kindle

Gwen Sinister: with artist
    Seeds: 20k/80k

Of Shade and Soul:1.8/35k

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Well, got a little over 1000 words tonight on my write1 for this month. But feeling unusually tired for only 7:45 pm. I think I may end up calling it a night early, unless I get a second wind here pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunHorton View Post
    "You should see the things I DON'T write down."

practical experience, FTW Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler Lillie's Avatar
    Great story, JC!
    Very creepy.

Congratulations

Published stories

Most recent publications
    Far From Shore at Bent Masses
    Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
    Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Nice work, Joe.

Been working on revisions this week, trying to shave a couple thousand words off a weird western novelette. When I get it down to 10K, I'm thinking I'll sub it to Big Pulp or serialize it for Fried Fiction.
    Milo James Fowler
    in medias res

I just finished the 1st draft of my Pedestal story. If I can clean up one more story, I should be back on track.

And I started my novel. I couldn't help myself.
    Matt

http://wayofthewriter.blogspot.com/

“Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence.” Buddha

permaflounced
    Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post
    Thanks, guys. Just got an email from them saying they're closing after their October issue and the site will go dark as of December 1, so...yeah. Feeling great right about now.
    That stinks, sorry to hear it. Also, I liked them. )-:

Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Romel View Post
    Ahhh, so that's why I couldn't find their submission guidelines. Well that's awesome you got into their market.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    Still crickets here. Over average RT on three of the six things I have out, for a range of wait from 21 to 499 days.

Haven't been writing at all this week, which is an unusually long break for me. Too much life stress & stupid headache (day 175!) Maybe next week.
    Boo. Hate stress. Hope everyone is okay.

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Gotten some writing done over the past few days. Also cleaned off my desk downstairs. (Not something I'd planned to do but it turned out the cats had been pissing all over my stuff so there wasn't much choice.) Now it's all refinished and clean. Nice.

Officially agreed to my contract with DSF. Now it's just a wait to see when they'll be publishing Insomnia.

Now, I'm off home to try and finish up the revisions to The Hardest Kiss. And (hopefully) watch the Eagles kick Atlanta's ass.

Later!
    _________
    A.G.C.

LEGACY: Available now! .epub and Kindle
    DUST: Available now! .epub and Kindle

Gwen Sinister: with artist
    Seeds: 20k/80k

Of Shade and Soul:1.8/35k

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

practical experience, FTW faerydancer's Avatar
    Not too much new over here. Been busy trying to fix up some stories that have been rejected one too many times. A newer sci-fi story called "Infinity Outpost at the Edge of the Universe" has been giving me problems but I think I've got a solution for it. I also just figured out a fix to the story I entered into the Identity Crisis contest. All in all, it doesn't feel like I'm making much progress but I suppose I am just the same.

Once I finish those two stories, I'm moving on to revising the draft of a story I wrote last month. It's long though--over 7k--which is my longest short story to date.

Somewhere in there, I need to get forward motion on my novel. Too many projects! Brain going to 'splode!
    Brenda Stokes Barron
    The Digital Inkwell
    Twitter
    -----

Little Brother - Bards & Sages Quarterly - January 2012
    The Bachorum Principle - Fantastique Unfettered - December 2011
    Maribelle Remembers Ice - Niteblade - September 2011

Lost in the Land of Giants Tienci's Avatar
    A submission of mine has been out to The Paris Review for 108 days which isn't odd by their usual RT stats but in the past 30 days, all responses came in between 26 and 63 days.
    Either my response got lost in the mail (which is actually quite likely since moving somewhat recently) or...? (Yes, being out almost twice as long as the most recent longest wait time has me hoping I'm in second round considerations or something).
    Last edited by Tienci; 09-19-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    "Will you won't you will you won't you, will you join the dance?"

practical experience, FTW
    Submitted Isolation to a market called Comets and Criminals. Some of you may have heard of it.

Good luck Tienci and Emptyeye!
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

Lots of good news around here lately! It's downright inspirational.

I'm supposed to be working on revising my darned novel, but instead tonight I wrote the first 600 words of a story intended for the Poe tribute volume (see Paying Markets). Having a lot of fun trying to ape Poe's style!
    Please pick up "Resistance Front" for the Kindle at Amazon: http://amzn.to/rxKzKs . 99 cents, 30+ stories (including my "Peripheral"), and the proceeds benefit The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Now available on the Kindle: My crime novel Five Million Dollars and the Green-Eyed Girl

Read my work: "The Penthouse View" (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012);"Infamous" (The First Line, Fall 2011); "Disaster Girl" (essay, Phati'tude 9/11 10th anniversary issue); "Dead Connections" (AW Speculative Fiction anthology)

www.twitter.com/jswalkerauthor

Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.
    "There's a point to this. A point I think I often miss." - Blake Schwarzenbach

permaflounced
    Good to hear from you, RED.

Quote Originally Posted by REDefiant View Post
    Just checking in. I haven't been keeping up with things, as my transition to college didn't include a comfortable place for me to write. It's strange how I need to have things just right to get in the correct state of mind to write.

However, writing has been on my mind a lot lately. It's something I don't think I'll ever be able to fully ignore, so I'll be back at it soon. Very soon.
    College freshmen as well? Me too. Finding time's rather more difficult now, though I've been somewhat managing and am hoping to do so more efficiently in the future.
    The Hat Rack: featuring (hopefully) in-depth and (possibly) insightful reviews of fantasy, science fiction, and horror books.

Eh, let yourself get settled into college, and writing will find you again -- right when you've got a big paper due, natch.

Crickets are positively geriatric over here -- I actually heard one today, instead of chirp, just sort of mumble "yeah, whatever."

practical experience, FTW sammyjwebb's Avatar
    land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
    Working on the umpteenth - okay 4th - complete rework of my Red Riding Hood story for Enchanted Conversation. Thought I was golden in July when I banged the first version out. Now - can't stand the thing!
    - Sam

Blog Twitter

You had a version in July? I just got a draft finished this morning! Still needs a lot of polish, too.

right when you've got a big paper due, natch.
    Yep, this. College can be a really fun writing environment, though, especially if you find some likeminded people.

I keep telling myself crickets are good luck. (particularly in regards to the AW anthology, but in general too)
    Last edited by AnnieColleen; 09-20-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Under the patronage of Murphy the Muse

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
    ~Neil Gaiman

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Crickets are positively geriatric over here -- I actually heard one today, instead of chirp, just sort of mumble "yeah, whatever."
    At this rate it will be telling you to get off its lawn in a few more weeks!

Some one on another forum compared waiting to Schrodinger's cat. It may be an acceptance or a rejection--- perhaps, one might say, it exists in an inbetween state.

Whereas, a rejection is a rejection. Nothing is ever going to make that rejection an acceptance.

So I don't mind waiting.
    Matt

This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.
    The Hat Rack: featuring (hopefully) in-depth and (possibly) insightful reviews of fantasy, science fiction, and horror books.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Katz View Post
    This is a new awkward mistake for me: I just sent a submission with the wrong cover letter. As in, wrong story title, wrong word count, and wrong editor addressed at the top. I... don't think this editor's going to like me much. Not exactly my best day.
    I suspect with everything so clearly wrong, it will be written off as an accident. Don't panic.

Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either. Instead, I wonder why it must still rain. I go away for a week -- no rain. I come home -- rain all week. Perhaps I'll mope for a bit. I'm sure that will help.

My inbox is a barren wasteland at the moment. No responses and seven things out.

Combine them, I say!

I more or less have one sub for the month, but it should be a 2,500 word story but the limit is 1,500.

Which is tempting me to do the unthinkable:

Write 1, Sub 1, then EXPAND the story while its with an editor. If it gets rejected, then I'll have the fuller version ready to go. If it gets accepted, well, I'll just be elated.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallThing View Post
    Procrastinating. I've two warring stories in my head and don't want to sit down to write either.
    Matt

Page 78 of 177 FirstFirst ... 32853687273747576777879808182838488103128153 ... LastLast