The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy: How long is Insomnia? DSF prefers flash, while I was under the impression that Lightspeed doesn;t accept flash?

It's not flash. Neither it is one of my "normal" 6.5k "short" stories. Just a little under 2.7k.

Silly me. I'd thought it would be easier to place given it's length (right in the middle of most market specs). And maybe it will be. But it would have been nice if ChiZine hadn't forgotten to put it in the queue and made me wait for an extra three months (plus the month and half it was actually in the slush pile) before they said no. >_<

So, now it's at DSF. Next will be Lightspeed. Then Clarkesworld, since I haven't put something in their submission pile in a while. Then probably Strange Horizons.

Aggy, in a planning mood today

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
Alright, I'm actually writing and subbing again.

Stupid work.

I missed the last shock totem flash, *&SK.

BUT: Pedestal has an interesting challenge...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Re fiction for the October 2011 issue (reading cycle August 28-October 14): Maximum length = 1,500 words. The story MUST contain the sentence, “Nobody thought that was where it was supposed to go."

Anyone want to play the Pedestal flash game with me?
[/FONT]

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
BUT: Pedestal has an interesting challenge...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Re fiction for the October 2011 issue (reading cycle August 28-October 14): Maximum length = 1,500 words. The story MUST contain the sentence, “Nobody thought that was where it was supposed to go."

Anyone want to play the Pedestal flash game with me?
[/FONT]
Oooh, interesting! I just found out about Goatse man (don't worry, no pics) too, haha.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I'd love to, Matt, but I better focus on the other things I'm supposed to be finishing :tongue Though I am on a mission to force Pedestal to publish me. Been rejected 3...wait, maybe 4 times.

I'm just popping in to say I subbed a story today. I think it's actually my second one for September, I have to check my spreadsheet. And I'm too lazy to do that now. But, anyway, it's at LEAST my one monthly required sub.

Go me!

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Go you indeed, Soapdish!

Finished the second draft of the story I mentioned last time. It's actually in the 700-word range right now, and that's subject to change depending on future drafts. Still one of my shortest stories, but a bit longer than I first thought.

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
I've managed three submissions in September so far, though one was a 190-worder for Leodegraunce. Today's the deadline for a couple of anthologies I've submitted to that I'd *really* like to be in, so hopefully there will be news on those soon.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, all my planning was for naught. DSF decided they do want Insomnia.

Now.

If GUD would just get back to me about The Weather's Always Fine.

ETA: After fiddling around with my story for Leodegraunce, I went ahead and subbed it. It wasn't going to get any better at this point. Just different.

I also resubbed Survivor (One Forty Fiction).

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Congrats, Aggy!

I'm pleased with myself in that I managed to finish a story today. It's only around 6k, but it took me two weeks to write and then type up since I have limited computer access. I sent it off to one of my beta readers. If he gives the a-okay, I'll submit it to Writers of the Future (deadline for the next quarter is at the end of this month).

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!! Aggy :D

That's wonderful! Congratulations!!!

Duncable

I iz a lady, ppl. Srsly.
Registered
Reaction score
I got about 500 more words in my short story down tonight! I also have a fairly good idea of where it's going now, which I didn't have before, and I think I'll be able to finish the first draft this weekend.

This is nothing compared to:

Well, all my planning was for naught. DSF decided they do want Insomnia.

Now.

:D Congrats!!

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Aggy! Congrats!
Congrats to everyone on their progress too. :)

As for me, finally subbed my W1 written on the 1st today after finally figuring out a 'real' ending. The story only went through 2 editing passes but I needed to send it out, get it out of my face for a while.

I also got the basics down for my Enchanted Conversation: Little Red Riding Hood story a week ago. It might be a few days before I go back to it to iron it out.

Also 'finished' a super-short yesterday (300 words). Not sure what I'll do with it yet--either shorten it to send to Leodegraunce's "Anger" issue or lengthen it a bit for NPR's 3-minute fiction contest since it fits both.
Meh--get back to that one in a few too.

19 stories out right now (2 of which I've been informed are in 2nd round considerations), and 5 more subs before reaching 100 subs this year!
Crickets anticipated on all my favorites until October.
In the meantime, write write write, sub sub sub...

Last edited:

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Aggy! It's wonderful to see the mutual support and inspiration around here.

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Well, today marks exactly one year that my story "Those Soulful Old Spoken Word Blues" has been living in McSweeney's (no doubt huge) slush pile. I hope it's happy there and has made a lot of friends.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Aggy! That's awesome, jawesome even.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Machine is live today over at The Absent Willow Review. Oddly, there's no artwork attached to any of the stories yet. I say "yet" because I hope the editors will add some, seeing as all previous issues seem to have artwork. Oh well, it's just nice to see my story up.

Enjoy!

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, folks for all the kind words.

Mr. Aggy took the toddler with him for the afternoon. I'm going to try and get some work done that's been put off for too long.

:)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Hey, congrats, everyone!

I'm just taking notes today and watching some videos so I can write an fight scene with weapons I have no idea how to use :tongue My intent it to watch it in action and get the movements right when I go to write it.

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
The crickets...the crickets...driving me mad. It's one thing to get rejected by a magazine, because at least you know you can send them something else. I've got subs out to three different anthologies that I would dearly love to be in, and in those cases an R is an R forever. I'm checking my email roughly three times per nanosecond.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
The Machine is live today over at The Absent Willow Review. Oddly, there's no artwork attached to any of the stories yet. I say "yet" because I hope the editors will add some, seeing as all previous issues seem to have artwork. Oh well, it's just nice to see my story up.

Enjoy!
Congrats! And very cool blend of paranormal and science.

I like the site's artwork -- creepy cool. :D But I can't view any of it as larges.