The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Tacos are delicious.

As for me, spent some time thinking about the "End of the world as we know it" prompt, and I think I can tweak my original idea into something I'm more comfortable with, and make fun of some video game tropes (Especially those found in early RPGs, particularly as pertains to how party construction and combat worked in those games).

Also working on finishing up edits to the Memory Eater story before I send it off.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finished a soft/psychological horror short yesterday/early today, but needs tweaking. And day before that I wrote >500-word dark humor piece, but only place I can think to send it is Untied Shoelaces of the Mind, so I'll have to sit on it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent in my 100th submission for the year today. Woot! I went over my spreadsheet to see how I've been doing so far. Here are the stats:

* Currently out on submission: 11
* Sales: 9
* Lost/never responded: 1
* Rejections: 79

Gonna celebrate by writing more stories to submit :)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Alex! :partyguy:
How inspiring. :)

I'm not far from 100 myself but haven't sold nearly as much as you...yet. :D
I should reach #100 by the end of this month or sometime in October.
October is also when a lot of responses are due!

I currently have 18 stories out (between 600 & 6000 words) and I'm trying to reach 20 simultaneously.
Where's a 'little engine that could' icon when you need it ;).

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. So far, I'm at 50 subs for the year.

Although some of those are multiple subs of the same story so the number of stories written is something less. (I think about half, actually.)

My story at DSF is now up to 37 days. ARgh. Total nerves about it too.

And I haven't heard back on my query to the erotica antho about a story I sent back in April. Not sure if I should nudge the editor again or not. Maybe wait another week.

However, the idea for my Apex Dark Faith 2 story is ticking right along. Slowly, but ticking, which is great. Especially since the submission window doesn't even open for another several months. :)

And that's about it for my week.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I am woefully behind some of you guys in subs for the year.

However, I'm trying to make up for lost times by having three stories going simultaneously. Never done that before, but I had been in such a slump I figured it might be worth capitalizing on this sudden influx of new ideas.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm behind in subs too, but eh, I don't sweat it. All in due time.

Now, do I wanna work on post-apoc wild west or Lovecraftian horror...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 16 subs for the year, which I was feeling really good about until Alex posted (yeesh, thanks, pal! ;) ) My highest in one year was 35, my lowest 4 (the year I had the twins, unsurprisingly.)

Ah well. I write as fast as I write, and it's not like I'm slacking the rest of the time. And I've also spent a fair bit of time working on novels, which don't do much for one's numbers.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Suzanne: Don;t feel bad. First of all, your average word count per story is probably several times higher than mine (most of my subs are flash). Second, I'd trade my short fiction sales for yours any day. So there :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I don't know exactly how many submissions I have out, but it's not many. Not enough. I'm working on that.

Just stopping in to say...I finished a really rough draft of my Write1 for Sept. today in the car. One scene hardly counts as done yet. It's a fight scene. Of course.

So far it reads something like:

"witty dialogue"
<blow>

"witty dialogue"
<blow>

"witty dialogue"
<blow>

"witty dialogue"
<blow>

Now, the dialogue is actually filled in. The <blows> are EXACTLY as I've written them above. :rolleyes: Seriously.

I'll fill it out later. I still have most of the month left. :D

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
soapdish: maybe you should just leave it like that and call it experimental. :tongue

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Witty dialogue is far more important than the description of the fight IMHO. Though if you leave it as <blow> you better be sure readers understand that the scene is about a fight, and not consumption/sniffing of illegal substances :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I randomly wrote a story tonight.

I say randomly, because I had no intention of writing it. A couple of days ago I did a crit for EmptyEye's "The Memory Eater" anthology story, and ended up with a Memory Eater idea in my head that just wouldn't go away. I had no time at all to work on it this weekend (worked a 16-hour day on Saturday and some more on Sunday) but when I finally got to a PC tonight, I banged out a 1000-word short in one sitting.

It's off to beta readers and I'm off to finally catch some sleep. The deadline for this anthology is TODAY, btw.

I have no idea if I'll like this story when I wake up tomorrow, or will be embarrassed for having sent it out for friends to read... but at least I've fulfilled my W1S1 for the week. :)

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Just barely snuck my W1S1 for the second week of September in under the wire. That gives me ten stories out for publication. In a couple of days the oldest will officially be marking a year in the slush pile at McSweeney's, which was a ridiculously ambitious place to send it.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Is this the right place to say hi?

started writing again in May and am trying to get 20 tales in the ether by the end of the year. Currently have 9 out there so far!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Project Deadlight! :hi:

And yay for barely making deadlines?

Decided to go with my post-apoc wild west story since I had a break through with the plot and scribbled it all down. However, I want to make Wily Writers prompt this time.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hey all

Haven't been around much recently, due to zine + other unexpected stuff. But i've been trying to keep up with the threads. I owe everybody lots of :hooray: and just as many :Hug2:

:hooray::Hug2::hooray::Hug2::hooray::Hug2::hooray::Hug2::hooray::Hug2: (nowhere near enough, but it's a start, i suppose)

Also :welcome: and :hi: to all the new peeps who've joined up recently. Viva la révolution histoire courte! (or is it viva la histoire courte révolution? i always get myself mixed up)

Glad to see you're all still trucking.

In a few weeks i'll start a thread for the novel challenge. Just to register interest. This'll still be the check-in place. Come one, come all.

I :heart: all you peeps, even those of you i haven't actually met yet. :e2grouphu

Write on!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Izz!!!!

:Hug2:

Yay! It's great to see you. And the cover of C&C is wonderful.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think I figured out where my current short story is going. Which is cool. But I still have to write most of it down. :p

I saw that DSF had a number of reported Rs this morning. And two acceptances. Still chewing my nails about Insomnia which is sitting at 39 days. Oh, well. If it gets an R, I'll send to to Lightspeed next.

Just trying to get some momentum back at the moment.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Working on revising the second, shorter piece for this month. It was actually one of two story ideas I had for the January 2012 prompt for 10Flash, but I don't think they'd like this one (And not just because it's not time to submit for this prompt yet). So I'm going to roll with it, get some crits/betas, and see where I can send it off.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy: How long is Insomnia? DSF prefers flash, while I was under the impression that Lightspeed doesn;t accept flash?