zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets here, with a range of 7-485 days. Making me a little twitchy, some of them. Meanwhile, trying to get back into the novel WIP; the first 35k is quite solid, but it goes off the rails pretty seriously after that. Ah, the joy of revisions.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
finally finished edits on a story from last month, and subbed it today! Now to novel as well.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote my Shock Totem contest story this morning. Conveniently, the first draft came in at JUST under 1000 words, so cutting won't be too painful. A round of edits on it tonight and then it's off to the beta readers.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope says that other people who subbed on September 1st heard back from PANK today and that makes me want to hear back from them as well. Not sure if no news is good news or just different readers going at different paces. I jump every time my phone makes the "new e-mail" sound and it's always just junk.

I think school starting up tomorrow will be good for my psyche haha.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the second draft of my entry into the Memory Eater Anthology. I'll take tomorrow to do one more pass, then throw it to betas/crits and hopefully get it in under the gun.

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Non-W1S1 acceptance today by MindFlights for my story "I Am FanFare" -- the only reason I mention it is because this story has been rejected 15 times over the past two years, and it's finally found a home.

Don't ever give up on your stories! They may need to be revised a few times, but someday they'll be published. I guarantee it.

Persperistence.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats Milo! Persistence certainly pays off. ;)

Hmm, is MindFlights site down? I tried getting on it.

btw, has anyone submitted to White Cat Magazine? I submitted a flash piece to them ten days ago, but haven't heard anything and duotropes has zero stats on them since they're a fledgling market.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to them 7/17 & haven't heard anything. This says, essentially, they're still reading...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Annie. I guess they're really busy - but would be nice if they had set up an auto-response thing to their email.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be. I'd guess they're still figuring out the best way to coordinate things.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Finished the draft of my Shock Totem flash. It needs some serious edits now. Luckily, it's already under 1k. Just needs polishing.

Congrats on the sale, Milo! Persistence definitely pays off.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So I was just Duotroping and realized that one my mainstay pre-W1S1 stories wasn't on the list. I don't know why I just noticed it now, but better late than never. So I just fired off "The Bright Walk" to Bete Noire so they can have a look at my long-suffering vampire tale.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
White Cat has indeed been a bit slow to respond. My story has been with them for 44 days now. They did say on their site that people should be hearing back soon.

Good job again, Milo. Please disregard my question about which market it went to in another thread - I just happened to read that one first :)

Also, I wrote my Shock Totem story today. The prompt turned out to be an easy one for me - an idea presented itself right away. However, I couldn't quite come up with the best voice/mode of telling the story in a Flash format. Finally I decided on how to proceed last night and wrote an entire 1000-word piece this morning. Going to do minor editing on it tonight and send it off to the beta readers.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I don't think I'll be able to do the ST contest--- just to tell you how it's going, I spent half of yesterday in my office hiding from a tornado.

Between my 12 day retreat and work, I haven't written a thing in a few weeks.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt: Hope you stay safe out there.

Best way to get over not writing for a while is to write something! Even if it's just a blog post, it'll get you back in gear!

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my Memory Eater Anthology entry is...well, as good as my limited writing experience can make it. I'll see if anyone is up for critting it over the next few days, and I'll take some suggestions and hopefully get it in just before the deadline.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Realizing I'm a little behind on my submission game. Currently it's all crickets with the fewest days out being Insomnia (@ DSF) and Love Like Dysphoria (@ Pedestal) at 33 days. The longest out is still The Weather is Always Fine in Paradise (@ GUD).

But I'm getting a good idea of how to turn the flash I wrote last week into a short story that might just be appropriate for the Dark Faith antho. Still thinking about that.

And pondering how to tweak the flash I wrote for Leodegraunce.

Aggy, who needs to do more writing and less thinking

Duncable

I iz a lady, ppl. Srsly.
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy, who needs to do more writing and less thinking

You and me both. ;) Hang in there with those subs, and best of luck!

I started my short story for the month last night. I intended it to be a flash piece, but realized right away that it will need to be longer, as there is more story than can be told in 1000 words.

This god awful 'working two nearly full time jobs' period will officially be over tomorrow, so I'll have more time for writing and all my other, distracting creative pursuits. :D

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm still crickets here, too. Made a recent sub to Bete Noire, but I'm still waiting on everything else. Getting close, supposedly, on ChiZine (80 days), and Crazyhorse (104 days), and I'm waaaay over on Aoife's Kiss (107 days).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yesh! I've been pretty fortunate, all my submission replies have been around a month or less, of course they're all rejections. :( But better to know sooner than later.