Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'd be upset if you didn't!

Good luck with the novel

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, best of luck with the novel! I wish I had the attention span for that, I have a couple of ideas that would probably be best served at novel-length. Oh well.

Kicked Isolation out to DSF after tightening it a bit, especially the beginning. If that doesn't work, I'll try it a few more places, then see about putting it in SYW or getting more betas here.

(EDIT: Crap. Forgot to write "End" at the end of it. And I even read that too. Oh well.)

Also started a story for the Memory Eater antho. Yes, I know, the cover, and effectively non-paying. On the other hand, there's an Uncle Jim post in one of the Learn Writing threads where he mentions that royalty-paying anthologies are a good way to go, since they can effectively continue paying you as opposed to just a one-time payment.

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Novelling here too...though I have a t least one short I want to finish this month. Just have to get a couple of chapters edited first for the critique group.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm finally starting to feel ready to go tackle my current novel-WIP again. If I do that, do y'all mind if I keep hanging out here?

I'm guessing we'll collectively insist. :) Good luck on the novel!

Shelley

Duncable

I iz a lady, ppl. Srsly.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm finally starting to feel ready to go tackle my current novel-WIP again. If I do that, do y'all mind if I keep hanging out here?

Yay, best of luck! :) I'm with everyone else, stay plz!

I've got a novel WIP that I try to peck out a few hundred words for a day, but it doesn't always happen. I've got the whole thing outlined, so the story isn't going anywhere, and it gives me the freedom to try my hand at the W1S1 thing. Hooray for multi-tasking!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Suzanne, there is always the W1S1 novel group too, right? I haven't checked that thread in awhile, but I assume they are getting geared up to start in Nov. still. I'm going to start lurking there in Nov. but I'm not going to jump in until Jan. This year of writing shorts has been a nice break from writing novels. Gave me some time to research some concepts and brainstorm some things I want to go back and change in all my unfinished ones.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read that you should address to the most senior editor when it doubt. Having said that, I've often broken that rule in sutuations where I already had some communications with a specific editor at a publication, and with good results :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's kind of what I was thinking, Alex. It just feels weird. Managing Editor seems like the person who'd most likely look at it first (or maybe not even first).

In my own personal line of work, the Boss doesn't usually see anything without it going through me first. So I prefer things to be addressed to me. I think it's cocky when they address stuff my boss, as if she'd respond to them. :rolleyes: But then again, I also give them credit for trying. :tongue

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just had a email from Shimmer.

They say my story is being passed on to the full board for further consideration and I should have an answer soon.

That's great! Whether they take it or reject it, it's great :D

But do I answer that email, or just leave it?
I don't want to do the wrong thing.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Yay for round 2, Lillie! I just sorted through my email to see what I did when in a similar situation and then I realized I dumped my inbox a bit ago. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer.

But in any case, congrats on getting this far! That's awesome :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats, Lillie!

Personally, I answer in situations like that. Just a quick "thank you and I look forward to hearing more" sort of thing.

But I'm as curious to know as you, what do others do in situations like that? That might be a faux pas.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for round 2, Lillie! I just sorted through my email to see what I did when in a similar situation and then I realized I dumped my inbox a bit ago. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer.

But in any case, congrats on getting this far! That's awesome :)

Yeah! I'm proper happy :D

I know it's still a long shot, but however it ends up, it's progress and it's very encouraging.

I dumped four email addresses a few months ago. God, the trouble that's caused me since...
I'm totally locked out of FaceBook because of it!
Damn hilarious, I can't even see my own wall.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Lillie!

Personally, I answer in situations like that. Just a quick "thank you and I look forward to hearing more" sort of thing.

But I'm as curious to know as you, what do others do in situations like that? That might be a faux pas.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm scared of the dreaded faux pas.

I only just got the email, so I have a while to decide.
I don't want to look over eager. That's probably a faux pas too.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Hi everyone! Well, I've caught the bug. I did some short story contests a few years ago, but this week, for the first time ever, I submitted two short stories to markets.

And I'm kind of hooked. So, I found the Write 1 Sub 1 thing here, and while it's super late in the year, I'm jumping in to do it for September on! The nutty one-a-week version, too. Woo!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news Lillie! Shimmer is a great market and it isn't easy to get past the first round with them.

I would respond and thank them politely. Even if it isn't expected, surely its not a huge faux pas and will not adversely affect your chances.

Good luck!!!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Peeps! I sent a short thank you. It seemed more polite than just ignoring them. Ignoring is for rejections :)

Fingers crossed for the next round. I've never got this far with Shimmer before.

Welcome, JenWriter! Good luck with your stories.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Finished up a flash fic this morning. Feels like it might need to be more short story length but I'm not sure where exactly to take it from the original kernel of the idea.

And still crickets on everything I'm waiting on. Maybe next week will be more productive.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished typing up the edits for the story I mentioned finishing a few days back. I just did the last (*checks*) five thousand words in a sitting. My fingers feel typed-raw. On the upside, onto betas!