The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Humming a few bars of "Bess, You is My Woman" wouldn't have helped?

I love Gershwin, but I was a music major. A lot of people have no idea who he was. :( (Even when they hear his music.)

Shelley

Or "Summertime"? I dunno. She just seemed like she didn't understand at all. Made me suddenly feel over-educated.

Aggy, home schooled

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidentally, as I was out picking up the traditional Friday Night Pizza, my NPR-affiliate-of-choice (wamc.org) was broadcasting live from the last weekend at Tanglewood, with the Boston Symphony Orchestra doing Porgy and Bess. Might even still be on the air; I know they stream live.

In other news, I'm freakin' out about my AW antho sub story. I'm almost done with the first draft, finally, but I still have to get it to my usual betas, get feedback, and do a big fix revision. I have just enough time (barely!) but they're projecting this hurricane moving directly overhead and hitting us just about 36hrs from now, and our local Electric Co. did a robocall to all their customers telling them to be prepared for "up to a week" with no power. If that happens,
I don't know there's any way I can get this done and in on time. :cry:

-Suzanne

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty much right in the path of the hurricane. I made this picture on Thursday afternoon/evening, and the path hasn't appreciably changed since then.

(Yes, I'm the guy in the cape/hat on the top-left of that picture)

Anyway, everyone make sure to stay safe!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty much right in the path of the hurricane. I made this picture on Thursday afternoon/evening, and the path hasn't appreciably changed since then.

Looks like you're just a bit south of me. If I see you post "Aaaaaaaauuuggggh! Flame from the skies, from THE SKIES!" on Sunday, I'll know to seek better shelter.

-Suzanne

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
The autocall from our town police chief to tell us to let us know the fire station will be opening as a shelter has done nothing to ease the stress level around here. We still haven't gotten over the ice storm that left us without power for a week several years ago. Nothing like lying in the dark all night and listening to trees crashing down all around you.

Well, if the wind gets bad we can always hide in our flooded basement...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Brooklyn NY, and we are promised holy hell in just about 24 hours from now. I keep checking weather.com and hoping that Irene will peter out faster than expected, but chances are good that we are in for a very unpleasant Sunday here in NYC.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, y'all.

(and if you see any rain looking lost, point it this direction!)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, guys! Gosh, this is worrisome.

Shelley

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Where are you guys? I'm just outside of Albany, which apparently is going to get crushed on Sunday.

I'm in the Amherst, MA, area.

The autocall from our town police chief to tell us to let us know the fire station will be opening as a shelter has done nothing to ease the stress level around here.

Did you get the Western MA Electric robocall telling you to expect "up to a week" without power? Because I wasn't really getting nervous until then.

if you see any rain looking lost, point it this direction!

Oh, if only...

-Suzanne

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the house falling down or anything, I just don't want to go a week without power. Also, flooding scares me. Heavy snowstorms have caused the apartment complex I live in to have flooding issues, so I can't even imagine what this frigging hurricane is going to cause.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Did you get the Western MA Electric robocall telling you to expect "up to a week" without power? Because I wasn't really getting nervous until then.
-Suzanne

No, I'm along Quabbin, so no WMECO for me. No concerned messages from National Grid. Just the police chief, who also warned of extended power outages.

Off to put everything in the basement up on cinderblocks.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the Amherst, MA, area.

Hey other Amherst person! We got that call too. I will be shocked if the power goes out that long. Also, my boyfriend and I are bus drivers and got an e-mail from the bus company saying that they may ask us to drive emergency evacuation buses to get people off the UMass campus. Not sure where they're going to go...

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scary stuff!!

I hope you will all be OK.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Milldale, CT, about a half hour southwest of Hartford.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hey other Amherst person! We got that call too. I will be shocked if the power goes out that long. Also, my boyfriend and I are bus drivers and got an e-mail from the bus company saying that they may ask us to drive emergency evacuation buses to get people off the UMass campus. Not sure where they're going to go...

PVTA? I have surely ridden your bus, then (-:

UMass closed the entire campus Friday night until Sunday midnight, with a warning that could be extended. I'd be surprised if they evacuate campus, though; as you said, where do you put everyone, and where is any safer?

-Suzanne

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
On a writing-related note, I see that someone got a 1-day rejection from 10Flash. Still trying not to read too much into the fact that I haven't heard anything from them either way (And in fact, like some here, never got a confirmation they had even received it), but I'm hopeful.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Empty - I hope your hope has a positive ending.

I'm going to try and finish the second draft of a story today, then I have grading to do. I do domestic violence volunteering (shepherding people to safe houses, in other towns since I deal with small towns) and this time it was actually someone I know, so it was tough.

and to those in the path - do stay safe! JC, I used to live outside Albany too, ah, nostalgia and weather memories. I do hope it calms down by tomorrow, although a friend from NYC just called to tell me it started raining.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Blah. Attempting to get something written. The Spec Fic antho is looming and I still don't have anything appropriate finished.

My thoughts are with y'all on the east coast. The hurricane went too far to the east to cause any disturbance here.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on having 20 stories out simultaneously--just sent out #17 (3rd new story written in August).
I'm also hoping to at least match July's output with W1S1-Weekly type stats this month (I'm a monthly). One more new story 'til that goal is met--hopefully with a submission to the Dagan anthology...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
:hi: Hello W1S1ers. Been gone for a bit, but in that time I did get my write1 written. :snoopy: All handwritten so I'm not sure what the word count is. Probably around 2k. If I can get it polished in time and the Memory Eater antho is still open, I'm probably going to send it there.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Empty - I hope your hope has a positive ending.

It didn't. Although on the plus side, I still have power, and the storm is now not as bad as they had predicted it was going to be (Although it's still not what I'd call "good").

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It didn't. Although on the plus side, I still have power, and the storm is now not as bad as they had predicted it was going to be (Although it's still not what I'd call "good").
I find the news always hypes up those things. Glad to hear you're okay.

Kinda taking a break from writing to play this free limited-time trial of Rift. Fun, but still too much like WoW.

Last edited: