zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on, peeps! (i'd say something more specific and stuff, but my brain feels like swiss cheese, without the cheese)

Your brain is swiss? In neutral? (-;

-Suzanne

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I've almost never got anything to say. I write long stories slowly, and they hang out places for a while. But I made a sale today. A W1S1 story, my January one, to Strange Horizons.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've almost never got anything to say. I write long stories slowly, and they hang out places for a while. But I made a sale today. A W1S1 story, my January one, to Strange Horizons.
:partyguy: That's awesome, SmallThing! Really, really, really awesome! :snoopy:

I saw that there had been a 97 day acceptance reported for SH at duotrope today, and i thought, 'i wonder if that's SmallThing.'

And it was. w00t!

(don't forget to brag about this in braggage--a sale to SH is huge!)

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

Congratulations!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, SmallThing!

\o/

Shelley

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

w00t! Congratulations, that's a great sale! (-:

-Suzanne

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

Congrats! That's...no small thing.

I'm going to hang my head in shame and sit in the pun corner now.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats! That's...no small thing.

I'm going to hang my head in shame and sit in the pun corner now.

It does sort of beg for that response, doesn't it? :)

Thanks, everyone. Somewhere around 80 days it started to feel like a long wait...now I have nothing to check every five minutes.

Not that I'm complaining.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Woot! Wow SmallThing, that's sooo awesome! Can't wait to read your story in the magazine :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets today.

Contemplating a new short story. Not sure it if will stay short, but I figure I can hash out the first bit, see how it feels.

I thought I'd reached a good place in regard to the rejection-anticipation, but it seems like as more days go by I waste more energy on worrying about whether maybe this time it'll be a "yes" and then scolding myself for getting my hopes up. >_<

Bah.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks again. It was a buzzy day yesterday. :)

Aggy, if you come up with a good solution for coping with rejection-anticipation I'd love to hear it. I find I have a breaking point. Up until that point things are fine, but after it everything gets ugly. It is a major suckage of time and energy.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Aggy, if you come up with a good solution for coping with rejection-anticipation I'd love to hear it. I find I have a breaking point. Up until that point things are fine, but after it everything gets ugly. It is a major suckage of time and energy.

Heh. At this point I think the best solution probably involves chocolate and alcohol. Except then I run the risk of being fat, drunk AND unpublished. :p

Maybe I'll just stick my go-to plan of "writing something better than the last one." :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could sure use a bit of a kick. I've had an insane two weeks at work (we are in the process of opening a second location and I've been working something like 80 hours/week toward that goal). As a result, I've written NOTHING new in almost two weeks. Soon I may forget how to use verbs.

One good thing is, since I've been too tired to write, at least I sent out whatever finished stories were languishing on my hard drive. I have a total of 13 active submissions, which is the most I've ever had out at one time (plus a Shock Totem contest story, which is kind of like a submission, I suppose).

Anyway, kick me back to writing mode please!

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
I do really well, but then if one thing doesn't go well, my whole world falls apart (over-dramatic much? well, yes)

*sigh* sorry, having a bad day.

*kicks* for alex. Come to think of it, maybe I need to go kick rabbits.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
First: Congratulations, Smallthing! That's a really fantastic sale.

Second: My laptop lives! The new charger came today, and, while it's a tad shorter than the old one, it provides slightly beneficial electricity in quantities far more potent than my tears and begging could ever give.

So were my predictions of increased productivity on the old computer right? Not at all. Up until it decided the internet was for less terrible machines, I just looked at the same amount of forums and sat through twice the load times. In the two desktop days, I wrote the first two scenes of my mystery story. After getting the charger today (hooray for speed shipping!) I rewrote the first two scenes, wrote a third scene, and wrote a 1,200 word review of Hammett's Red Harvest. Turns out responsive keyboards are kinda cool.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

I find the only thing that works as a partial solution is getting busy with other things. But it's only a partial solution.

I could sure use a bit of a kick. I've had an insane two weeks at work (we are in the process of opening a second location and I've been working something like 80 hours/week toward that goal). As a result, I've written NOTHING new in almost two weeks. Soon I may forget how to use verbs.

One good thing is, since I've been too tired to write, at least I sent out whatever finished stories were languishing on my hard drive. I have a total of 13 active submissions, which is the most I've ever had out at one time (plus a Shock Totem contest story, which is kind of like a submission, I suppose).

Anyway, kick me back to writing mode please!
Yay for having lots of stories out! And here's a
kick.gif
, but only a gentle one. Sometimes other stuff gets in the way of writing stuff. Be careful not to get too down about it :)

I do really well, but then if one thing doesn't go well, my whole world falls apart (over-dramatic much? well, yes)

*sigh* sorry, having a bad day.

*kicks* for alex. Come to think of it, maybe I need to go kick rabbits.
:e2arms: :Hug2:

First: Congratulations, Smallthing! That's a really fantastic sale.

Second: My laptop lives! The new charger came today, and, while it's a tad shorter than the old one, it provides slightly beneficial electricity in quantities far more potent than my tears and begging could ever give.

So were my predictions of increased productivity on the old computer right? Not at all. Up until it decided the internet was for less terrible machines, I just looked at the same amount of forums and sat through twice the load times. In the two desktop days, I wrote the first two scenes of my mystery story. After getting the charger today (hooray for speed shipping!) I rewrote the first two scenes, wrote a third scene, and wrote a 1,200 word review of Hammett's Red Harvest. Turns out responsive keyboards are kinda cool.
w00t for laptop resurrections! And that's some good wordage to go with it!

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
So I'm thinking I might drop down to the 2-a-month version of W1S1. I am getting my butt kicked by the novels I'm also supposed to be writing/revising, and I need to get them out ASAP.

I'm having a baby in January... woot woot! And I'd like to make some real progress on my writing career (or at least, give it a good attempt!) before then...

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
The point of w1s1 - at least in my opinion - is to get you to write. It should be abandoned if it ever gets in the way of that goal. If you've got novels you want to work on, I don't see why that'd be a problem.