The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be failing more than succeeding at my W1S1 goals lately, mainly due to focusing on novels. You all did motivate me to write 4 new short stories this year (2 of which already sold pro!) and plan a 5th, but I think I'll be bowing out of the forum again for awhile, at least until the WIP novel's 1st draft is finished. Best of luck to all in their writing, submitting and sales goals!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Has anyone heard anything about what's happening with Asimov's? They've barely touched their slush since June.
Yes, it's a bit puzzling because they're usually fairly speedy. I've had something there since July. Perhaps the slusher's eyeballs started bleeding after reading my submission and they have yet to recover. :tongue

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I have no specific information, but I know that the editor took a vacation this summer and then there was Worldcon which always monkey-wrenches things, so maybe just a backlog from both of those?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Eliza, a fair number of us are doing Novel W1S1, so don't feel you can't keep hanging with us!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I have no specific information, but I know that the editor took a vacation this summer and then there was Worldcon which always monkey-wrenches things, so maybe just a backlog from both of those?
Ah, that could explain it, thanks, zanzjan.

Just had another peek at the Grinder: a veritable sea of purple pending submissions. I wonder if there's a slush party in Asimov's future?

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Checking in here after a very long time away.

I've really benefitted from the discipline of W1S1 in the past, but in recent years I've drifted more into focusing on novels. I'd like to go back to producing at least one short piece a month, though, so here I am.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, some of us are doing W1S1 with novels. Just, ah, not weekly. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, some of us are doing W1S1 with novels. Just, ah, not weekly. :)

Is that why it's so quiet around here? You're all writing novels? I feel a little left out. Don't know how I didn't pick up on this. So, how does it work for a novel? Do you write a chapter a week? What do you submit while you are working on your novel?

When I started W1S1 it seemed like most people were doing the weekly challenge, so I did the weekly challenge. Then it seemed like more people were doing the monthly challenge. I adopted the monthly challenge to write new stories, but I kept up with making weekly submissions. I really like having other writers around who take up this sort of challenge. It helps me to think that you all are sticking with this and gets me to actually write and submit a lot more than I would if I had never come across this. But if everyone is switching or has switched over to novels, someone fill me in. Thanks. I'm such a follower. ;)

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
:e2bummed: One of my stories has been gaining on the longest recent rejection in its market and now an even longer rejection has come out. It's such a letdown when this happens.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
:e2bummed: One of my stories has been gaining on the longest recent rejection in its market and now an even longer rejection has come out. It's such a letdown when this happens.

It's hard when that happens.

I don’t even tend to put my rejections on here when they’re your standard, rejected in the average amount of time ones. But when you see more recent stories get Rs you begin to get hope. Then the older ones get Rs too and hope dwindles…

I’m trying to learn that refreshing The Grinder (or Duotrope or wherever) won’t actually increase my chances, the only thing that will lead to an acceptance is a happy little email. But my mind won’t take it in!

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
W1S1 for novels sounds great to me -- I've been faffing around with my WIP and could do with a kick up the arse to get on with it. I'd still like to produce one new short a month, though, so maybe I can be a hybrid. :)

Looking for some guidance for those more experienced than me.

In October of 2015 I sold a short to a semipro market that I like. I signed a contract specifying that they had a year to publish and heard nothing more. In late September 2016 I received a copyedit to approve with advice that the short would go live in October (2016 -- a year after agreeing the sale). The market has been extremely sporadic for most of the year, but they did publish new shorts on a regular schedule throughout October. Unfortunately mine wasn't one of them. Since October they've published nothing.

In late November I sent a polite email asking for a new publish date, but I haven't had any reply. At this point I haven't been paid for the piece (agreed within 30 days of publication), and although I like the market I love the story and hate to have it languishing in the back of somebody's dusty hard drive for who knows how much longer. I don't know whether to continue prodding or cut my losses, pull the piece and start subbing it again.

All thoughts welcome.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score

I know the feeling. I check duotrope every day. I've just got to know where I stand. ;) But, seriously, sometimes it's so hard to tell and even guess really as to just how far in the process a story has made it. But as long as it's still out there, you've still got a chance. Good luck!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
W1S1 for novels sounds great to me -- I've been faffing around with my WIP and could do with a kick up the arse to get on with it. I'd still like to produce one new short a month, though, so maybe I can be a hybrid. :)

Looking for some guidance for those more experienced than me.

In October of 2015 I sold a short to a semipro market that I like. I signed a contract specifying that they had a year to publish and heard nothing more. In late September 2016 I received a copyedit to approve with advice that the short would go live in October (2016 -- a year after agreeing the sale). The market has been extremely sporadic for most of the year, but they did publish new shorts on a regular schedule throughout October. Unfortunately mine wasn't one of them. Since October they've published nothing.

In late November I sent a polite email asking for a new publish date, but I haven't had any reply. At this point I haven't been paid for the piece (agreed within 30 days of publication), and although I like the market I love the story and hate to have it languishing in the back of somebody's dusty hard drive for who knows how much longer. I don't know whether to continue prodding or cut my losses, pull the piece and start subbing it again.

All thoughts welcome.

Ugh, StormChild, that sucks. I suppose I'd look for info on any social media sites or blog they have, or even if there's a thread about them here on AW. Past that, maybe try another nudge? Sorry, I'm not really sure what to do, but I hoped bumping the thread might help someone with more experience give you some advice.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy, JJ. I've tried another nudge and hopefully I'll hear something back. I do like this market, and if they can give me some sort of timeline, however vague, I'm prepared to wait. It's the crickets that are bothering me.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Annnnnnnd here's where I admit failure: I haven't written any new shorts since last Christmas Day.

I spent the spring and summer grinding out subs, but have sent out just a few this fall and have only one out right now (The Book Smugglers). Sick of getting "lol this is good but really weird and not a fit" rejections all year, I actually self-pubbed my failed submission to Apex's Upside Down anthology on my personal blog.

Instead, all of my fiction efforts have been going to my novel-in-progress. I tried to shoehorn a quick ending on it earlier this year, but my wife read it and insisted it needed to be a full novel.

I whiffed on Camp NaNo. A bunch of upheaval in my freelance clients prevented me from even attempting NaNoWriMo. But right now, I'm full speed ahead on this draft and feeling really good about it. When I get this long-in-progress monster done, I'll get back full bore on W1S1.

Peace
Ty

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Annnnnnnd here's where I admit failure: I haven't written any new shorts since last Christmas Day.

I spent the spring and summer grinding out subs, but have sent out just a few this fall and have only one out right now (The Book Smugglers). Sick of getting "lol this is good but really weird and not a fit" rejections all year, I actually self-pubbed my failed submission to Apex's Upside Down anthology on my personal blog.

Instead, all of my fiction efforts have been going to my novel-in-progress. I tried to shoehorn a quick ending on it earlier this year, but my wife read it and insisted it needed to be a full novel.

I whiffed on Camp NaNo. A bunch of upheaval in my freelance clients prevented me from even attempting NaNoWriMo. But right now, I'm full speed ahead on this draft and feeling really good about it. When I get this long-in-progress monster done, I'll get back full bore on W1S1.

Peace
Ty

Hmmm, doesn't really seem like a failure to me, sounds like you've had your nose to the grindstone all year even if most of it was novel work.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Years, fellow W1S1ers.

I'm always so impressed by the talent and tenacity of you all, and here's hoping 2017 brings you all great success. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Years, fellow W1S1ers.

I'm always so impressed by the talent and tenacity of you all, and here's hoping 2017 brings you all great success. :)

Same to you and everyone here. May 2017 bring great things for us all.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance for those more experienced than me. ... [snip unresponsive market]

If you're comfortable sharing the name of the market with me via PM, I'll tell you if I know anything?

Otherwise I'd say do whatever seems the less stressful course for you, personally. If closure is what you need, pull it. If you want to hang on to hope for a bit longer, do that. Nothing wrong either way, as long as you don't let it become something you feel angry or hurt about (if possible.)

So, how does it work for a novel? Do you write a chapter a week? What do you submit while you are working on your novel?

Sorry for not spotting this sooner, my fall was really hectic. Answering just for myself, the goal was to write one novel in a year, without being very specific about how that breaks down in smaller increments. I tend to take breaks from novel-writing to do small projects and got a few of those successfully out the door this year, but at least right now I see those more as bonus achievements. If the novel-writing thing doesn't start to actually pan out for me this year, I may just go back to shorts full-time for a while. Dunno.

When I started W1S1 it seemed like most people were doing the weekly challenge, so I did the weekly challenge. Then it seemed like more people were doing the monthly challenge. I adopted the monthly challenge to write new stories, but I kept up with making weekly submissions. I really like having other writers around who take up this sort of challenge. It helps me to think that you all are sticking with this and gets me to actually write and submit a lot more than I would if I had never come across this. But if everyone is switching or has switched over to novels, someone fill me in. Thanks. I'm such a follower. ;)

I think there's always been a good mix, with variation over time. We had a couple of really prolific and talkative flash writers who haven't been around as much the past year (and who we miss, hint hint if you're reading this) which probably makes things seem more different than they actually are.

But, since we're talking about it: 2017 is a new year! Folks want to share their goals? Anyone changing up their usual challenge?

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, doesn't really seem like a failure to me, sounds like you've had your nose to the grindstone all year even if most of it was novel work.

Aww, thanks SSM. "Nose to the grindstone" is pretty kind, though...I got basically zero fiction written between June and November. I'm really motivated and working on the novel right now, though, and yesterday I sent the usual suspects back out on another round.

One thing I'm finding interesting is that in today's world, we never quite "run out" of markets to submit to; new, promising ones are popping up all the time. Even as some of my veterans collect five, ten, or more pro-market Rs, the sheer time that takes allows one or two new ones to show up and give them hope.

Peace
Ty

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all -- I'm expecting good things for all of us in the year to come.

Ty, I really enjoyed your Upside Down story. I had a reject from that call too, and it's still doing the rounds.

My 2016 was pretty much of a bust too. I had twins in August, and most of the year was spent either being pregnant and unwell or running around like a lunatic taking care of two tiny little men. Only now that they're four months old am I able to grab time to write every day, and even that isn't much.

Even so, I'm determined that 2017 will be a good year. I've made my first sale, which I'm taking as a good sign, and having the boys eating up so much of my time is making me more creative and determined in fencing off my writing time. Of course it's only 3rd January -- an awful lot can still go wrong.

My plan is to produce a short a month this year but also have a novel finished by the end of the year (I'm currently 10K words in and hitting a wall). If I can achieve that then 2017 will be a big success. My January short is brewing nicely but writing slowly.

How about everybody else?

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
I had twins in August.

Congrats on still being something resembling sane!!

My plan is to produce a short a month this year but also have a novel finished by the end of the year (I'm currently 10K words in and hitting a wall). If I can achieve that then 2017 will be a big success. My January short is brewing nicely but writing slowly.

How about everybody else?

That's a big goal!I wish I had your gumption, lol.

I started the year out well last year with keeping up with the 1 short/month last year, but I didn't end well. I'm recommitting to that goal for 2017, and I want to hit a minimum of 10k words per month on my various novel projects.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
I started the year out well last year with keeping up with the 1 short/month last year, but I didn't end well. I'm recommitting to that goal for 2017, and I want to hit a minimum of 10k words per month on my various novel projects.

Sounds very doable -- looking forward to hearing about your progress.

I deliberately picked a big goal this year because I need a challenge that has me writing every day. If I commit to something I can manage in fits and starts then that's when I get spotty with my output. My biggest aim for this year is steady production.