The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
but I do have a new idea for a larger project - and a new notebook!
Oooh, excitement!!!

Sorry, i have no experience with Waylines, but my instinct would be to leave it for a week or two more. Does the Grinder or Duotrope show them responding to subs?

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, excitement!!!

Sorry, i have no experience with Waylines, but my instinct would be to leave it for a week or two more. Does the Grinder or Duotrope show them responding to subs?

Thanks, Izz :) No, they've been completely silent. You're probably right and if I wait a week or two my response will come when they clear out their held submissions.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Aislinn! And, to cap the day off, i just interviewed the protag of that story on my blog (she'll be appearing in most of my upcoming short fiction, too). Was fun, and i now know her much better! :D

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Izz: Congratulations on subbing a story! Such a good feeling.
Aislin: When I got my bump at Waylines it seemed like my rejection was about a month later. I think it was 63 days start to finish.

I subbed a story today under my experiment of fast writing. I'm taking up a pen name for stories that I burn out fast. It will be interesting to see if my carefully crafted stories are better received or my churn and burn stories.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I subbed a story today under my experiment of fast writing. I'm taking up a pen name for stories that I burn out fast. It will be interesting to see if my carefully crafted stories are better received or my churn and burn stories.
Cool idea! Do keep us posted as to results :)

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Izz: Congratulations on subbing a story! Such a good feeling.
Aislin: When I got my bump at Waylines it seemed like my rejection was about a month later. I think it was 63 days start to finish.

Thanks. I've made a list of places to send the story, so now I feel prepared for the rejection when it comes, and weirdly much happier to wait it out.

All my stories are churned out fast and then revised. Do you normally write slow to try to get it right the first time? Anyway, good luck, your experiment sounds fun & productive :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
All my stories are churned out fast and then revised. Do you normally write slow to try to get it right the first time? Anyway, good luck, your experiment sounds fun & productive :)

I usually rewrite and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite etc... with my novels. My short stories I let go of faster. This story was a novella. I wrote it fast, changed the beginning and a bit at the end and sent it off. I think I did a full read through 4 times. I didn't have anyone critique it or edit it, which is a little scary, but also fun and liberating to have a story with only my opinion :)

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I usually rewrite and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite etc... with my novels. My short stories I let go of faster. This story was a novella. I wrote it fast, changed the beginning and a bit at the end and sent it off. I think I did a full read through 4 times. I didn't have anyone critique it or edit it, which is a little scary, but also fun and liberating to have a story with only my opinion :)

Cool :) Good luck with it!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, writing was slow last week after the story subbing excitement, mainly thanks to a chest infection. Going to see doc later this morning. Have still managed some words, though. I have 4 story starts with the new character. I'd like to finish 1 of those this week. I should also get to editing the novel draft at some stage, too.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Izz, you sound like you're on a roll. Hope the chest infection clears.

I am just hoping to get the draft of the story I'm working on done before the kids' school holidays start. And get my three pieces that need rewrites out the door!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Izz, you sound like you're on a roll. Hope the chest infection clears.

I am just hoping to get the draft of the story I'm working on done before the kids' school holidays start. And get my three pieces that need rewrites out the door!
:e2cheer: You can do it!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I

Holidays?! Now you have me looking at the calendar. Ok, we have 5 weeks - phew ;) Though it will go super-quickly - and there is always so much non-writing stuff to do in the lead-up to Christmas.

Izz, I hope you feel better soon. I love your idea of a series with the same character. It sounds like it would make a great collection eventually.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Can I use all my unbought stories as Christmas presents? Then I would know they found a home :)

I wrote a new short story last week that turned out to be a lot of fun. I think this week I'm rewriting a novella that will turn into a novel. Should be interesting.

I hope you get well soon, Izz and happy writing to everyone this week!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks for the well wishes, peeps. Just got back from the doctor's, and now have antibiotics, so hopefully i'm on the up and up.

Aislinn, i'm actually kinda going for the collection thing. Crossed Genres (they need subscribers to keep going; it's only $15 a year and they're continually getting good short fiction reviews) buys short fiction collections, so i have them in mind. But i probably should focus on writing the stories first, huh? :D

Yay for finishing stories, Melinda! :hooray: I hope the rewrites go well, too!

TechD

Rain is my favorite weather.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm checking in here? *looks around*

Ahoy!

Going to be aiming for a monthly short fiction write 1 sub 1. Hopefully soon to be more than 1 a month.

Let's see.. 11 days to go in Nov... gotta catch up!

TechD

Rain is my favorite weather.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes, peeps. Just got back from the doctor's, and now have antibiotics, so hopefully i'm on the up and up.

Couple of days late, but my wife just got over something similar. Hope you get over it just as quick!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think I'm checking in here? *looks around*

Ahoy!

Going to be aiming for a monthly short fiction write 1 sub 1. Hopefully soon to be more than 1 a month.

Let's see.. 11 days to go in Nov... gotta catch up!
w00t! Welcome to W1S1, TechD! :hooray:

Couple of days late, but my wife just got over something similar. Hope you get over it just as quick!
Thanks! :) I do feel like i'm on the improve. The phlegm is still green, but there's not as much of it :D

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Hello TechD *waves*

Well, I got my Rs from Waylines and RSF so now just waiting on one more shortlisted story. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster lately with a few pieces getting bumped and then rejected, but overall I'm feeling good about the fact that I'm making the second round.

Hope everyone is having a productive week :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome TechD!

Sorry the Waylines turned into an R Aislinn :(

I only made 9 submissions this month which is one short of my goal, but I'm still pleased. I post my writing stats once a month on my blog for any interested folks.

Keep on writing!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It's been a bit of a rollercoaster lately with a few pieces getting bumped and then rejected, but overall I'm feeling good about the fact that I'm making the second round.
That is a reason to feel good! :Hug2:

I only made 9 submissions this month which is one short of my goal, but I'm still pleased. I post my writing stats once a month on my blog for any interested folks.
Nine subs is a pretty decent pace. How many shorties do you have doing the rounds?

Last edited:

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Good to see all of you plugging away.

Aislinn, I feel for you. I had a series of bumps followed by Rs, and even though I liked knowing I was getting close, those Rs took a greater toll than the usual ones.

Melinda, Congrats on the 9 subs.

I've continued keep 7 out to pro markets. I decided that while I'm catching up on paying work, that's enough. I have a couple other stories I'll revise before winging them back out. I'm composing a new flash in the back of my mind. I want to get through the next draft of the novella in the next couple of weeks, yet for right now it has to wait.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've continued keep 7 out to pro markets. I decided that while I'm catching up on paying work, that's enough. I have a couple other stories I'll revise before winging them back out. I'm composing a new flash in the back of my mind. I want to get through the next draft of the novella in the next couple of weeks, yet for right now it has to wait.
Sounds like plenty to keep you busy writing-wise :)

Chest is improving, but slowly. The coughing is getting worse, though, and particularly at night. Had an early morning visit to the doc today, seeing as i woke up this morning coughing and unable to breathe (i mean, i literally woke up coughing, unable to breathe--asthma attack maybe?). It ended up being a 10 minute coughing fit so intense i couldn't stand up for a couple minutes after. Freaked me and the wife out a lil bit. Anyway, i now have stronger antibiotics and prednisone (which i'm a bit wary of taking, but i need something to stop the nighttime coughing fits).

So, point being: i've had a slow writing week. While i feel mostly okay during the day, my brain's having trouble focusing on anything. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick and i'll be back up and running this week :)

Last edited: