Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 118 of 177 FirstFirst ... 18436893108112113114115116117118119120121122123124128143168 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 4402

Thread: The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Dandelo View Post
    Does anyone know if Nine and Midnight Echo send out "Hey, you're going to the second round" emails? It's my first time subbing to either.
    At least as of Issue One, Nine did.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)

figuring it all out sarahthegrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
    At least as of Issue One, Nine did.
    I didn't get a second-round email on my novelette (Issue 2), but I suspect it had something to do with the number of novelette-length submissions, or perhaps with the difficulty of conducting multiple review rounds on 10,000-word stories.

At least, I hope it was one of those, and not that my acceptance was a mistake....

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    I don't recall getting a round 2 e-mail from Nine but they did post on Twitter saying "if you submitted before such-and-such date and didn't hear back from us yet, you're in round 2."

Quote Originally Posted by sarahthegrey View Post
    I didn't get a second-round email on my novelette (Issue 2), but I suspect it had something to do with the number of novelette-length submissions, or perhaps with the difficulty of conducting multiple review rounds on 10,000-word stories.

At least, I hope it was one of those, and not that my acceptance was a mistake....
    No, Sarah -- Actually I was mistaken. I remembered knowing I was in the second round but had forgotten that it was due to a tweet as Alex noted.

Doesn't Bite
    I am definitely feeling grumpy about my submissions this week. Come on, someone owes me a response... http://grab.by/e9t8 (Duotrope stats)

Quote Originally Posted by akaSylvia View Post
    I am definitely feeling grumpy about my submissions this week. Come on, someone owes me a response... http://grab.by/e9t8 (Duotrope stats)
    526 days?! That cricket will soon qualify for its own driver's license.

Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar
    Well, it's definitely under consideration, then, at least. Probably serious consideration, if what i know of that market is correct.

Doesn't Bite
    I received a prompt response to my query confirming that my story was in the second look pile, which is enough to make me leave it. But I am wondering about whether to send birthday presents...

We’ll see what happens from here… Eliza C's Avatar
    I received a prompt response to my query confirming that my story was in the second look pile, which is enough to make me leave it. But I am wondering about whether to send birthday presents...
    Ha! Maybe you should if that one turns one year old next month, but I hope for your sake you hear before then. If your other turns two... well, hopefully it's a killer market (Tor.com?? - I know their response times are up there). You certainly have more patience than I do.

let me tell you about my dogs victoriajakes's Avatar
    *pokes head in*

hey y'all, long time no see! I've been away (due to life taking a couple of hard knocks) but things have settled and I thought it would be good to come see how all you folks were doing. I've missed you!

I've been taking a break from short fiction (though I did write one of my favorite short pieces ever this past spring) and I'm writing a novel, currently 66,000 words in! I'm mostly doing it to prove that I can write close to a 100,000 words, and I'm doing okay so far.

Just wanted to say hi! Been poking around Braggage, good to see all your triumphs!

practical experience, FTW sammyjwebb's Avatar
    land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
    Hi everyone. I'm helping at a fascinating literary conference this week about comic and graphic novels and their educational benefits. Totally fun. Also gearing up for the first ever Denver Comic Con. I think we're in for a ride this weekend! Walked the floor this afternoon and got almost giddy. I'm keeping a notepad in my pocket to write down character notes. Should get lots of little bits this weekend.
    - Sam

Blog Twitter

Victoria! *hugs* Nice to see you

And you too, sammy! (that'll teach me for living a window open for ages and not refreshing)
    Last edited by Izz; 06-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Hi all! Plugging away like everyone else. Just passed 63K on my novel (yay!), I have 3 subs out right now (2 out for 14 days, but one out since November. Yikes!).

Various market calls with June/July deadlines are tempting me but I'm finding it hard to pull myself away from the book (which is good I suppose, considering I was blocked for a few months. All of my 2012 subs so far have been resubs of older stories though so I'm torn). The nice weather doesn't help my word count either. Maybe I should go scribble under a tree.

practical experience, FTW Jessica_312's Avatar
    Hi guys, wondering if you know of any good literary horror magazines to submit to (or where I could find a listing)? I write a lot of horror short stories but they've stayed in the trunk thus far, figured I might let a few of em see the light of day
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" - Stephen King

figuring it all out sarahthegrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica_312 View Post
    Hi guys, wondering if you know of any good literary horror magazines to submit to (or where I could find a listing)?
    Check out Nightmare. Just opened for subs this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahthegrey View Post
    Check out Nightmare. Just opened for subs this morning.
    Cool, thanks!

Doesn't Bite
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza C View Post
    Ha! Maybe you should if that one turns one year old next month, but I hope for your sake you hear before then. If your other turns two... well, hopefully it's a killer market (Tor.com?? - I know their response times are up there). You certainly have more patience than I do.
    Yes, it's Tor.com - I don't think there's another market that I would wait that long for.

I'm usually pretty patient - I like stories to be out of the way so I can get on with new things. But right now there's one story which is postal (which always makes me nervous) and another one at a market that previously bounced my mails (this is the first time I got a sub through) and in both instances, Duotrope is showing recent submissions responded to while mine is past due. I'm torn between hoping that they are under serious consideration (both markets would be a first for me) and fearing that my submissions got lost in the ether and they don't even know I'm waiting.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *checks inbox again* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica_312 View Post
    Hi guys, wondering if you know of any good literary horror magazines to submit to (or where I could find a listing)? I write a lot of horror short stories but they've stayed in the trunk thus far, figured I might let a few of em see the light of day
    Try searching on duotrope You can define your searches all sorts of ways, and they're one of the best market databases out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    Try searching on duotrope You can define your searches all sorts of ways, and they're one of the best market databases out there.
    Thank you! *goes to check it out*

practical experience, FTW
    This will seem paltry to most of you grizzled pros, but for the first time ever I have 5 submissions out at the same time! It's a milestone.
    New bare bones obligatory author's site: www.michaelwehunt.com

Yes, it's Tor.com - I don't think there's another market that I would wait that long for.

I'm usually pretty patient - I like stories to be out of the way so I can get on with new things. But right now there's one story which is postal (which always makes me nervous) and another one at a market that previously bounced my mails (this is the first time I got a sub through) and in both instances, Duotrope is showing recent submissions responded to while mine is past due. I'm torn between hoping that they are under serious consideration (both markets would be a first for me) and fearing that my submissions got lost in the ether and they don't even know I'm waiting.

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *checks inbox again* *tap* *tap* *tap*
    Well, hoping for you that it means they are both under serious consideration.

I know someone who just started at Tor.com as a slush reader. I was hoping maybe that meant they were recruiting more help to get their response times down. According to a blog post there ages ago, it sounded like they were going to try and do better, so maybe yours is climbing the ladder

This will seem paltry to most of you grizzled pros, but for the first time ever I have 5 submissions out at the same time! It's a milestone.
    5 stories out there is great! I know one writer who worked for ages on one story, revised it in VP, subbed it, got rejected, and I've never seen her post about subbing again. The only way to win this game is to keep putting more stuff out there 'til it starts to stick.

It is indeed. Congratulations! With the good work you've been showing in the Shock Totem competitions I suspect your biggest challenge in bulking up your sub count will be having stories be accepted quickly! A good "problem" to have, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza C View Post
    The only way to win this game is to keep putting more stuff out there 'til it starts to stick.
    Ain't that the truth! And it can take a while -- I racked up a gigantic number of rejections before my recent flurry of acceptances. Staying in there is the only way, indeed.

New fish bio-engineering thick skin llambertlawson's Avatar
    I'm beginning my trek in the W1S1 world. My goal is to W1S1 per week. I'm at W1S1 every three weeks, or so, now, but it's time to get serious.

Wish me luck!
    "Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second." - William James

Twitter: @llambertlawson
    Web: www.llambertlawson.com

Most recent publications:

Finding the Blue Door at Cast of Wonders
    The Poinsettia at Every Day Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by llambertlawson View Post
    I'm beginning my trek in the W1S1 world. My goal is to W1S1 per week. I'm at W1S1 every three weeks, or so, now, but it's time to get serious.

Wish me luck!
    Welcome, brother!

Says I, who've been woefully neglecting his own W1S1 goals in favor of reading submissions and editing.

Page 118 of 177 FirstFirst ... 18436893108112113114115116117118119120121122123124128143168 ... LastLast