• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

World Castle Publishing

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the publisher should be responsible for the copyright and putting the costs of that off on the writer is a problem.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Maybe somewhat misguided, I do see today's epublishers as futuristic cousins of the say 1950's - 60's paperback publishers. Who for some were stepping stones, for others - career dead-ends.

Ace, for example, would lie, and cheat their authors out of even $15 when they could, would produce idiotic covers, and leave the texts in the hands of arrogant and clumsy editors. They even published pirated editions of the Lord of The Rings.

Some, like Philip Dick, got forever lost in the paperback swamp, in spite of being brilliant. Others, like Dean Koontz, went on to more commercially impressive achievements, in spite of not being quite so brilliant.

And Ace themselves evolved too, and today appear to be a legitimate high-end speculative publisher. Half of publisher.

It would seem to me that the stretch of time it took a paperback publisher to either evolve or go under in the decades past, would be greatly accelerated in the case of the 21st century epublisher.

And as the percentage of people reading ebooks grows in leaps and bounds, the epublishers have increasing incentive to actually try and participate in that market instead of merely pretending to do so. 2012 is not 2010 in terms of sales, and 2014 will be quite different from 2012.

Returning to World Castle, and say Solstice, and Damnation Books - whatever their existing weaknesses and strengths, their future is limited to three options: 1) fail; 2) evolve; 3) stagnate.

By submitting to them I've placed a bet on 2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When someone has just written a hopefully “breakthrough” novel, with thousands of man-hours and sleepless nights invested in it, or at least the start of a what they hope is a instantly financially rewarding serial, then betting on small epublishers evolving shouldn’t be the first choice. Agents, big publishers, or mid-level tried and proven publishers, or even trying for the maverick self-pub serial success would be more logical choices.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vainglory, your invitation for PM is very kind, I’ll make use of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]StaciaKane, there's always a smoker in my stories too.[/FONT]

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I just finished a novel published by World Castle. It was free on Kindle-which always worries me that a publisher would sell itself to amazon and not any other venue. I could be wrong.

The novel itself was fabulous. Very poetic and well written. I'm a horribly slow reader and I finished it in less than a week.

Problems? There were sooo many, like a dozen per Kindle page, typos. From comma misplacement to wrong word (affect=effect) that at times it was hard to read. The cover was...mediocre at best.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno how accurate it really is, but novelrank.com is a place to track Amazon sales, both print and ebook. You paste in the Amazon URL for the book you want to track.

So you could look up some of their books on Amazon and check on novelrank for their sales history.

Mostly what I've heard about novelrank is that it's pretty close if the book sells less than a thousand copies but for more than that, the accuracy is questionable.

I don't really know another way for anyone to check sales history. I see that advice often given, for investigating a publisher before signing with them, but how can an average person do that? :Shrug: Without the behind-the-scenes access publishing folks have.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Existing thread: <snipped>

Doesn't look so hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The fact none of the principals can edit worth a damn would be enough to send me scurrying.

Case in point, from their FAQs:

Any author who violates this will have thier work immediatley removed from World Castle Publishing's inventory.

The Hot New Releases page has links to 2011 and 2012, but nothing for this year or last year.

The Upcoming Releases page has a ton of book covers, none of which give any information about the books, such as excerpts or when they'll be released. I checked Amazon, and at least some of the romances have already been released.

The Now Available page just says "Coming Soon" - no books mentioned at all. And for some reason, whoever designed their website added a page called Blank.

thegourmez

Registered
Reaction score
Any more recent opinions on World Castle Publishing? I'm chewing over a contract this week.

KrisA09

Registered
Reaction score
Anymore about this publisher? I'm thinking about submitting to them. I like their website and covers.