• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The McGill Agency (Jack Bollinger)

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Received request for partial. Anyone know about him or his agency? I couldn't find anything on either save for what's on McGill's website, which isn't very informative.

Thanks, guys.

_Richard

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Received request for partial. Anyone know about him or his agency? I couldn't find anything on either save for what's on McGill's website, which isn't very informative.
Can you give us a link to his site? Did he initiate contact, or did you contact him first?

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Can you give us a link to his site? Did he initiate contact, or did you contact him first?
Apparently I queried him back in November -- one of the first I contacted. Forgot about that.

Just found his and McGill's web site: He and his partner have no previous experience in representing writers, no listed sales, and, according to Herman's Guide, they charge fees.

I'm thinking about skipping this one.

_Richard

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Experience doesn't seem to include any agency-type jobs.

NITPICK: While in general their extremely concise website is well-written with good grammar and correct spelling, I was left wondering how one would fit everything requested into one or two sentences:
Fiction: In addition to query, craft a one or two sentence log line that implies what the story is about, synopsis, first three chapters, and a biography.
I know, I know. I read it wrong...but commas separate a list of items, so given the single verb I read it as a list belonging to that verb ;).

Last edited:

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Their bios don't look promising. The guy says he was a film editor. My husband has been a very successful film and TV editor for 16 years. We own a small production company and it has not helped me ONE bit. And believe me he has tried. They are such different worlds. So I have to schlep my queries just like everyone else. Even within TV and film everything is compartmentalized like publishing. Just because someone is a successful reality TV editor or producer for instance, doesn't mean he will have any connections for network shows.

He doesn't even list his film credits which I find suspect. We meet so many people who like to say "I'm an editor" or "I'm a producer" because it sounds good, but upon further inquiry it turns out they did one project like 10 years ago or they worked on stuff that wasn't exactly noteworthy.

In contrast, Susan Finesman, another new agent, has a TV and film background, but she lists an impressive resume, has won an Emmy and sold a book right away. She rejected me after requesting a partial, but had she offered to rep me I probably would have gone with her.

This quote from the website is kind of funny. "In addition to query, craft a one or two sentence log line that implies what the story is about, synopsis, first three chapters, and a biography." Uh... isn't that the purpose of the query- to imply what the story is about? Why would I write a log line for them? LOL And uh... last time I checked you add your short bio to the query.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently I queried him back in November -- one of the first I contacted. Forgot about that.

Just found his and McGill's web site: He and his partner have no previous experience in representing writers, no listed sales, and, according to Herman's Guide, they charge fees.

I'm thinking about skipping this one.

_Richard

SKIP away I say.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
The physical address is the same as that of a law firm--Terry Hyatt.

Yes, but that's a HUGE office building. I live just north of Dallas and pass it on occasion. There are several businesses listed at that same suite, and I'll bet it's some executive suites, where a group of businesses share office space and support services.

I wouldn't read anything into that at all.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I queried this agency not that long ago, received a request for a partial, and then received the suggestion that I get an editor, to which, of course, the agent would be happy to refer me (a red flag for me).

"You possess good writing skills and sense of story. However, as you might know, placing fiction in today’s brutal market is extremely difficult. About the only way an unknown writer can get his or her manuscript picked up today is for the writing to be exceptional. I suggest you consider obtaining the services of an editor who can help raise your writing skills to the next level. Don’t be disappointed about my suggestion. All serious writers use editors. If you do not have any editing contacts, I will be glad to give you the name of a talented lady I’ve know for a number of years."

Grand Poohbah

Grand Poohbah
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.Sheltoncomm.com
The McGill Agency (Jack Bollinger), Dallas, Texas. Ugh! Sent my query email on 04JUL12. In his email of 19JUL12 he asked for the first, three chapters of my manuscript. I complied with his request the same day. On 08OCT12
I received his email, "I'm impressed with your writing...but it needs work...I will be glad to give you the name of a talented lady (editor) I've know for years." I'm sure you would.

Bollinger's response to me is almost an exact copy of the response he sent to Ralyks that he posted on the blog on 06-13-2012.

I declined this agency's generous offer for editoral services. Amen!

alaskadude

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks, guys.

_Richard
Yea, It didnt take them as long to get to me! Here is the exact same reply. I received in only one day!
xxxxx, [FONT=&quot]I've had the opportunity to read the material you sent regarding your xxxxxx. You possess good writing skills and sense of story. However, as you might know, placing fiction in today’s brutal market is extremely difficult. Today traditional publishers provide little or no editorial support. About the only way an unknown writer can get his or her manuscript placed today is for the writing to be exceptional. You might consider obtaining the services of an editor who can help raise your writing skills to the next level. Don’t be disappointed about my suggestion. All serious writers use editors. If you do not have any editing contacts, I will be glad to give you the name of a talented lady I’ve know for a number of years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Best,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Im going to play games with them a while. They are imposters. I will ppost my findings here.
[/FONT]

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Right, he shouldn't be suggesting a specific editor, regardless how much he admires one -- just gives a conflict of interest right off the bat, and a no-no he should know better than doing if he's got his chops in the biz or at least wants to start off right.

And then we see a much-published annual list of agents for writers re: Novel / Short Stories -- you know, the one that sets ya back thirty bucks if you buy the print version of the guide from one's local bookseller, self-describing itself as "the most trusted guide to getting published" listing said agency mentioned in this thread, without a qualm (and worse, such guides as that listing even more questionable agencies, too).

Grateful we have P&E and AW for such proper warnings, but concerned about the newbies stumbling on these agencies being listed in said annual guides (don't get me started on why the editor of such guides don't seem to do even a precursory check on these agencies to weed-out a few) or at least some sort of "*" do extra extra homework caveat (beyond the usual normal homework on them). <rant off> heh

Last edited:

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds Like scam

Does not sound kosher to me and I know from kosher. Sounds like he just wants to get you roped in and charge you fees.

Keith Kennedy

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent this guy a query, having not done my due diligence. About a month later, he's asked for full manuscript. I've read a rather damning article online, and nothing here looks very positive. Is this a full ignore on my part? The fact that he's still active makes me wonder what's going on. Any chance he's reputable at all?

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com